[NA]Fun with banks[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I am hoping someone here works in a bank and can explain what is happening.

In early Aug I was notified by the bookeeper that a subdeposit had not shown up on two statements in a row. The late June deposit should have appeared at least by Aug 1 and did not.

I called the bank and they had no suggestions (they have recently become a state-wide op and it is very hard to get local answers).

So, I wrote a letter to the 10 clients to see if they would mind paying us again. That's always fun. Plus I enjoy taking 10+ phone calls, spending time and money on letters and postage for someone else's mistake.

Today, a client come in and says, "Lookit this - my bank says that check cleared back in June!"

Sure enough, and she let me make a copy of that part of her statement. She accepted my apologies for the inconvenience and appreciated my embarrassment.

So, the deposit must have gone through and my bank collected from these folks but did not pass on the funds to my account (I only have one account btw).

Think someone at the bank is just trying to get a bonus? What could explain this other than bank employee embezzlement or bank dishonesty?

If I ever find out, I will let you know.

What I have been really hoping won't happen is this double payment thing doesn't cause someone 400$ in nsf fees that I will have to cover, not to mention lost clients.

And vendors wonder why I won't just do automatic payment drafts.

I am hoping someone here works in a bank and can explain what is happening.

I don't work for a bank, but I had a similar thing happen to me a few years ago with a deposit. Turns out they deposited my money in someone else's account. Even though the account number was very clear on the deposit slip. A typo by a teller somewhere. It took me 6 months of phone calls and yelling and screaming to get them to fix the error and cover the various over-draft fees. Never did get an apology. When it was all settled, I closed the account and moved it to another bank.

I found it pretty interesting that the person who suddenly found 4 grand extra in their account never questioned the bank as to why. :no: I guess they just assumed it was an early Christmas.

My experience has been just like Lisa's. Everytime this has happened to me Dave, the money was found in someone else's account. It has also happened a few times that a check written by someone else on their account was cleared through my account. Kinda scary what banks are capable of.

Wow. I feel for you guys.

I love my bank. Local bank, great folks. If I have a problem I just call Amanda or Brent and they find it and either fix it or make fun of me for screwing something up.

There are a lot of disadvantages to living in a small town, but the ability to bank locally is a huge asset.

reminds me of the Catch me if you Can guy who was on the Flying pilot podcast. Frank Avignon I think. he opened a checking account then took a big stack of those temporary deposit slips. wrote his account number on all of them and brought them back and put them on the stack. no one noticed for quite a while and everyone put their money into his account. very clever.

ive never had any problems like this Dave. at least not that I know of. i suppose one problem is that you cant just go across town to the other bank...:(

Wow. I feel for you guys.

I love my bank. Local bank, great folks. If I have a problem I just call Amanda or Brent and they find it and either fix it or make fun of me for screwing something up.

I love my bank too. Anytime there is a mess up I just call my bank officer and like magic its fixed. It pays to have a good contact at your bank.

Any more, it seems next to impossible to get personalized service unless you have $500k or more deposited. In some banks, it's much higher than that.

As a kid, I recall my dad having no more than some ten grand in CDs with a local bank. When my dad went to the bank he was addressed personally by the president. Those days are gone.

All you get at BoA today is a glorified CSR.

I disagree here. The manager of my local branch is very outgoing and appears motivated to keep my business. I'm happy with them. Good products, good rates, good internet banking site.

While on the subject of BoA a funny occasion occurred a few weeks ago in South Portland, Maine. After theatre rehearsal(Oklahoma opens September 14) cast members quite often relax at the Wendy's/Tim Horton's which share an entrance and common floor space.

Upon my first visit to the location I sensed that it must be a busy place because of the four lanes, each with a take-out booth. So, I approached one of them. Huh! The lanes are Bank of America ATM units. The restaurant parking lot surrounds them.

HR

Any more, it seems next to impossible to get personalized service unless you have $500k or more deposited. In some banks, it's much higher than that.

As a kid, I recall my dad having no more than some ten grand in CDs with a local bank. When my dad went to the bank he was addressed personally by the president. Those days are gone.

I'm really enjoying the service I get at the huge regional chain bank I'm with. I went there Friday and had a ball. How often do you come of of a bank with a grin?

The sad thing is I expect it all to change. Bank of America is buying them out. I will switch before they screw up my money.

I'm thinking I will check out the local banks.

Last edited:
My principal beef with BoA is that they actually charge to cash a check... drawn in their bank!

Of course, their small-business loan practices are legendarily bad, but that's another story.

---------

Dave, given the way banks' books have to balance, I'll just about guarantee you that your money ended up in someone else's account, and the other account-holder just sorta forgot to mention it.

Dave, given the way banks' books have to balance, I'll just about guarantee you that your money ended up in someone else's account, and the other account-holder just sorta forgot to mention it.

And hoping they YOU'LL forget to mention it.

Maybe its like the ebay thing, "well you get the deposit,....but you just don't get the money!"
They did call to say they are working on it. I'll let you know if your predictions are true.
I get up every night, Troy :(

Back