[NA]Free PPT clones[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
If I make a slideshow with this software, will those wishing to view the show need to dl software?

I am looking to make one slideshow which I can store locally (ie not kodak's etc online slideshows) and where anyone can receive and see the file.

Last edited:
From what I gather from the blurb, that program is not a PowerPoint equivalent, just a slideshow maker. If you want PowerPoint, just install LibreOffice.

You can export a PowerPoint (or any other format) as a PDF. It just won't have any fancy effects or transitions.

Yeah. That means your clients will have to have a PDF reader, but it's not an exotic plug in - just the regular one everybody has that has a new security exploit every other day.

OpenOffice will open (and create and edit) a PowerPoint file and save as PDF.

Last edited:
+1 on LibreOffice (or, you could still get OpenOffice, which shares the same code base as LibreOffice).

Cool, thanks.
Does Libre satisfy my (perhaps unreasonable) requirement of no software install for slideshow recipient?

Does Libre satisfy my (perhaps unreasonable) requirement of no software install for slideshow recipient?
Nothing does, not even the PowerPoint itself. The question is in the boundary conditions. You can export a deck in images (JPEGs), or in a PDF. Even if you create a gigantic animated GIF, you still need an image viewer that can manage it on the target machine or device. The best you can do is to assess your audience and pick your poison.

Cool, thanks.

Easiest is to export as a PDF - everyone had a PDF viewer on their computers.

There's also a trick, if the slide resolution is not high: export a stack of PNGs and create a video of them with ffmpeg. Then, upload to Youtube. Voila! A presentation which can be stopped and rewound -- as long as the target device can show Youtube (with Flash or HTML5).

I use OpenOffice and enjoy it.

I'm about certain it saves in .ppt format, so you wouldn't have to expect someone to download OpenOffice to view it.

I use OpenOffice and enjoy it.

I'm about certain it saves in .ppt format, so you wouldn't have to expect someone to download OpenOffice to view it.

Ted...

If they don't have Open Office, they'd have to have PowerPoint, or PowerPoint Viewer.

Idea: Stop torturing students with god-awful slide shows and really teach. ;)

There's also a trick, if the slide resolution is not high: export a stack of PNGs and create a video of them with ffmpeg. Then, upload to Youtube. Voila! A presentation which can be stopped and rewound -- as long as the target device can show Youtube (with Flash or HTML5).

Pete, too much work! The very first software link Dave posted in this thread listed as it's "best feature" that you can instantly upload the finished presentation to YouTube, from inside the software.

Dave, that's even better than PDF, because it can have the transitions or music or narration or anything else you want, and no software to install for the end users.

Open Office or Libre Office (which was spun from Open). I built an entire powerpoint using MS Office at school and used Open at home and MS Office at work to tinker with it, saving it in ppt format. If you use OO or LO, you do get a verification that you are not saving it in THEIR format so stuff might not work right.
I'd be happy to do it again starting out in Libre or OO and building something for work and presenting it in MS Office. Oh wait, I have.

The best solution IMO is to use Open Office, Keynote, PowerPoint etc to build the show and then upload it to a cloud based player for anyone with a simple web browser and a connection to the Internet to view. This could be Google Docs or Microsoft Cloud/Live, or several free and paid sites that specialize in hosting slideshow presentations - I've used slideshare.com for free in the past. The chief drawback is that you may only use basic slideshow features without additional media (like embedded videos or audio) though they are more sophisticated than they used to be and it wouldn't surprise me if some of those websites now support more complex presentations, perhaps at the subscription level.

Last edited:
Back