NA Found Software; keep or uninstall?

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Periodically I check for bloatware in my program list, sometimes it is difficult to decide what is ok, from only the listed names.

"windows resource kit tools subinacl.exe"

"st microelectronics 3 axis dig accelerometer" sounds intriguing, but why would I need this, does it measure hdd shock?

"microsoft silverlight"

Whay kind of system? Laptop? Some are able to sense a fall and park, or otherwise protect, the HDD.

Silverlight is Microsoft's inane attempt to replace Shockwave Flash with their own product. It's needed for a few goofy websites that swallowed the kool-aid and built things to rely on it. Doubt it's hurting anything.

Subinacl is a command line tool to set security permissions. Again, no big thing to have though you most likely don't need it.

Indeed the Alienware laptops have an accelerometer to detect they're being dropped and to freeze the disk before they are hit. People have mixed reviews of the false positives the thing gives. You can delete it, but you'll lose that safety feature.

I did a little Googling.

SubInACL.exe can be downloaded from the Microsoft Web site, which states: "SubInACL is a command-line tool that enables administrators to obtain security information about files, registry keys, and services, and transfer this information from user to user, from local or global group to group, and from domain to domain."

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23510

The title of this Dell page seems relevant, although it doesn't mention the specific file name that you found.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=K3TWC

I have previously Googled Microsoft Silverlight, and learned that it was used by some Web sites to display video, but allegedly not very many. I have declined to install it on some of my computers, and haven't run into any problems that I'm aware of.

It's not just video, it's used for a variety of interactive web pages. The use however is spotty and not even Microsoft bothers with it. Again, it was done in Microsoft's NIH era to compete against Flash. Both are the WRONG way to do things. One place I see it is in certain reservation systems for spa/barbers/hairdressers.

Back