NA - Foolproof standing rib roast

PilotAlan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
PilotAlan
<stuffed to the gills, just finished dinner>

From the Deen boys on Food Network (Paul Deen's sons), the gave out a foolproof rib roast recipe their family has used for years. We made it today, and it was fabulous and perfectly cooked.

+ Make a rub of 4 parts Kosher salt, 1 part black pepper, 1 part garlic powder.
+ Rub the rib roast all over, and let it sit on the counter for 1 hour to come to room temp.
+ Put in a roasting pan, and into a preheated 375* oven.
+ Cook for 1 hour
+ Turn the oven off, let it slow cook on residual heat for 3 additional hours - DO NOT OPEN the oven for any reason.
After 3 hours,
+ Turn the oven back on at 375 for 45 minutes to bring the roast up to serving temp.
+ Remove roast, let rest for 15 minutes.
+ Carve and serve.

Optional - Au Jus: Remove the roast from the pan, skim the grease. Put the pan on the stovetop on medium heat, add 3/4 cup red wine, two tbsps butter, a cup of beef stock. Scrape all the crusty bits from the bottom of the pan, cook down for 10 min (about the time the roast is ready to serve).

Optional - Sides: We put the green bean casserole and corn casserole in the over after the three hour slow cook, and they cooked in the 45min at 375.

This has become my new favorite recipe!

That's one way to do it. Sac has always had perfect success cooking at 350 for two+ hours or however long it takes to get to a center temperature of 150 and letting it set for at least 20 minutes. I start getting esoteric on cuts like chuck roast and brisket that require slow cooking.

My trick--450 for 10 minutes and then drop to 250 until done. About 130 for med rare, around 20 min/lb

My trick--450 for 10 minutes and then drop to 250 until done. About 130 for med rare, around 20 min/lb

Restaurants that do prime rib and other big cuts have ovens that get to 1500 or more. They sear the meat then cook it at more standard temperatures.

That's what I did yesterday, 500 for 15 minutes, until the kitchen got smokey:dunno: and then 325 for a couple hours. :D
One of our grocery store chains, Publix has prime rib on sale during Christmas every year, $6.49 per lb,:yes: They regularly charge $12.00 or something, I only buy it when it's on sale. :D

That's what I did yesterday, 500 for 15 minutes, until the kitchen got smokey:dunno: and then 325 for a couple hours. :D
One of our grocery store chains, Publix has prime rib on sale during Christmas every year, $6.49 per lb,:yes: They regularly charge $12.00 or something, I only buy it when it's on sale. :D

Publix in FL had SRR on sale too. My better half did a wonderful job of cooking it and I was fortunate in that I was sitting short call reserve for my airline, but didn't get called out. It was a good Christmas.

That's one way to do it. Sac has always had perfect success cooking at 350 for two+ hours or however long it takes to get to a center temperature of 150 and letting it set for at least 20 minutes. I start getting esoteric on cuts like chuck roast and brisket that require slow cooking.

150 on a rib roast? That's only legal in 14 states..... And this isn't one of them. :nono::D

<stuffed to the gills, just finished dinner>

From the Deen boys on Food Network (Paul Deen's sons), the gave out a foolproof rib roast recipe their family has used for years. We made it today, and it was fabulous and perfectly cooked.

+ Make a rub of 4 parts Kosher salt, 1 part black pepper, 1 part garlic powder.
+ Rub the rib roast all over, and let it sit on the counter for 1 hour to come to room temp.
+ Put in a roasting pan, and into a preheated 375* oven.
+ Cook for 1 hour
+ Turn the oven off, let it slow cook on residual heat for 3 additional hours - DO NOT OPEN the oven for any reason.
After 3 hours,
+ Turn the oven back on at 375 for 45 minutes to bring the roast up to serving temp.
+ Remove roast, let rest for 15 minutes.
+ Carve and serve.

Optional - Au Jus: Remove the roast from the pan, skim the grease. Put the pan on the stovetop on medium heat, add 3/4 cup red wine, two tbsps butter, a cup of beef stock. Scrape all the crusty bits from the bottom of the pan, cook down for 10 min (about the time the roast is ready to serve).

Optional - Sides: We put the green bean casserole and corn casserole in the over after the three hour slow cook, and they cooked in the 45min at 375.

This has become my new favorite recipe!

What weight roast?:dunno:

Our local store has a good meat sale once or twice a year. About a month ago they had rib roast on sale for about 50% off. It was nice to get a $150 roast for $100. I got it home and cut out a nice roast for Christmas and the rest I cut into rib eye steaks.

What weight roast?:dunno:

The recipe was for a 5 lb roast, we did a 10lb exactly the same and it came out perfect. The long, slow cook with residual heat made it essentially uniform pink and medium rare throughout.
Juicy, perfect, and with a bit on blood on the carving platter. :yes:

18# rib roast in a roaster pan uncovered w/bones down covered with rock salt and pepper. 500*F for 20mins(or until the smoke alarm goes off), reduce temp to 325 until core temp is 135-140(depends on how red/pink you want it). Let stand for 10min or so while everyone gathers at the table. Slice to desire thickness per each person, some folks don't like thick cuts others do.

NOW the kicker that no one has mentioned.....fresh ground horseradish. I dig and grind ours no less than 3 days before the meal.

Bon 'appetite

This method works. I also used it this Christmas. Notes- too much salt in the rub. Cut it back by 1/2. There will be quite a bit of carryover cooking... I usually shoot for 130deg at carving time. Pulled it at 128, carried over to nearly 140 by the time I had the side dishes ready. Should have pulled at 125. See Christmas Dinner thread on the Purple Board for discussion on proper methods for making Yorkshire Pudding, the perfect side for a roast. Mine came out great, one of my guests was a proper Englishman and finished off 1/3 of them by himself.

some recipes/readings I've seen caution against salt in the rub as they claim it draws off too much moisture during the roasting process.

I use salt in brines (not for beef tho) and try to avoid salt in my rubs.

Mmmm, Publix! I have to say that this was one of the pleasant surprises when we moved to Atlanta, since our former preferred supermarket chain doesn't exist here.

Their bakery is absolutely fantastic, I am crazy about their bread!

Back