[NA-Food] Troy's Mexican Lasagna

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
I'll make some at Gaston's, if we end up doing this potluck dinner thing. This has been getting rave reviews... it's a simple recipe, something I threw together, but has a great flavor. Don't let the "lasagna" reference fool you--no noodles, just layers.

Ingredients:

1 2-1/4# pkg ground beef (80/20 mix) - Walmart sells this size pkg
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 sm. can of diced green chiles
2 pkgs of McCormicks red enchilada sauce mix
1 tbsp chicken bullion
2 cans of tomato sauce
1 lg can of black olives, sliced
1 pkg of yellow corn tortillas (at least 20 tortillas) from the Farmer's Market
1 lg pkg of Mexican shredded cheese mix

Preparation:

In a large saucepan, prepare the enchilada sauce, adding McCormicks mix to tomato sauce and water per package directions. Add the chicken bullion paste to the mix, as well. Keep warm.

Stacking 10 tortillas at a time, cut off round edges to make square tortilla sections. (Optional, but I did this: add about half of the tortilla trimmings to a food processor, and pulse them into little tiny pieces, making a coarse corn mixture. Stir this mix into the enchilada sauce and continue to simmer, softening the corn pieces and adding a corn flavor to the sauce)

Meanwhile, brown the ground beef in dutch oven/skillet. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Once beef is almost fully cooked, add chopped onion to the pan and cook in the beef drippings. Drain fat from beef/onion mixture once onions are translucent. Stir in the green chiles, keep the mix warm.

In a large square deep-sided dish, sprayed with non-stick spray, layer as follows:

Sauce - two small ladles or one large ladle full
Tortilla squares, four: overlapping to cover the bottom/previous layer as much as possible
Meat mixture - two small ladles or one large ladle full, spread out evenly
Olives - sprinkle a few
Cheese - as desired

Repeat the above layers 5 times, reserving enough ingredients for a final layer of sauce, cheese, and black olives on the top. Garnish with thinly sliced bell peppers of various colors, if desired.

Bake in a 350F oven for 60 minutes, covered with tin foil to keep cheese from over-cooking.

Cool for 10-15 minutes before serving, or allow to cool for 1-2 hours then refrigerate for EXCELLENT left-overs or re-heated dinner.

Serve with garnishments as desired (sour cream, taco sauce, hot sauce, green onions).

I have a similar recipe but instead of the tortillas I use corn meal and make the whole thing in the crackpot. I call mine baked tamale pie and it is good.

Back