[NA]Flash workaround?[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
So many vids won't work on the ipad, especially youtube.
Is there no alternative to flashplayer? (reading suggests that is the problem)

I'm no iPad expert, but I think there should be a special YouTube app on the iPad that can play YouTube content.

As for Flash embedded in other Web sites, I think you're pretty much out of luck.

-Rich

even the app wont play a lot of music vids.

Just speculating here, but I suspect that may have to do with copyright issues. A lot of YouTube videos get blocked or have their audio tracks disabled if music is used without the copyright owner's consent.

Apparently, however, there's a way to get around that if a link to purchase the song (for example, from Amazon) is placed under the video. I don't know the details because I haven't uploaded anything to YouTube in years, but I do notice that a lot of videos with musical tracks have those links.

Also, some artists' "Official" channels also have links to purchase the music.

If I had to guess, and it would just be a guess, the YouTube player for iPad can't display those links (because they're in the site HTML, not the video itself), and therefore can't display those videos.

But that would just be a guess.

-Rich

Sorry Rich, forgot to mention all are playable on the laptop, just not on the ipad. Did a google on the problem and read all sorts of non-solutions.

There is no real solution, accept the black screen of death as Apples way of saying "You don't need to see that, we'll let you know what's ok."

There is a Browser that works with many flash websites. It is called Photon. It is a bit of a resource hog on the iPad 1 but it seems to work with everything I have used it on so far.

I wish it was free but it costs $4.99. I had a need to use it so I bought a copy. Had to do with school. :(

David

There is a Browser that works with many flash websites. It is called Photon. It is a bit of a resource hog on the iPad 1 but it seems to work with everything I have used it on so far.

I wish it was free but it costs $4.99. I had a need to use it so I bought a copy. Had to do with school. :(

David

Ok I just tried it. Yes it works with Flash (I could access the POA web chat) but what a pain in the ass. Hardly a fully functional browser.

David

iSwifter works too. Personally, I don't go for too much Apple blather, but I do agree that Flash should DIAF. It's insecure, buggy, and drains battery power like a vampire. I have an Asus Transformer too, nice toy. Use Flash? Battery life drops off a cliff.

--edit

iSwifter isn't free either :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While we're on the topic of chat... Any advice for the best IRC client?

I realized the other day that I wanted to do something in IRC, and a quick look at available options made me stop to find out which ones actually work. ;)

The workaround is to get a credible device. There are a number of Android tablets that do the job better than the iPad. They all come with Flash support.

The workaround is to get a credible device. There are a number of Android tablets that do the job better than the iPad. They all come with Flash support.

How is the battery life on things like the Galaxy 10.1? That's my concern due to the abysmal battery life on my Android phone. My I pad I can use a day and a half to two days on a charge even watching some Netflix.

Also the app providers are doing a better job a what I need on iOS

Battery life is 10:17 on the Asus Transformer (over 16 hours with keyboard dock) and 9:55 on the Galaxy Tab 10.1

Battery life is 10:17 on the Asus Transformer (over 16 hours with keyboard dock) and 9:55 on the Galaxy Tab 10.1

I get about 9 hours of USE on my ASUS Transformer without the dock. I don't have the dock, so I can't compare with it.

In Standby mode, it has lasted me a few days without needing a charge.

Back