NA - Fishing in Cabo

JCranford

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
JCranford
My wife and I went fishing in Cabo San Lucas, Baja, Mx, last week for a couple days. It was sort of a product testing trip as we have recently taken over my father in law's business, which is manufacturing stand up fishing harnesses. Here's a couple pictures of one of the marlin I caught (and released). The boat captain estimated him at between 140 and 160lbs. My wife caught two about the same size.

2017-01-21%205_zpsqymnio9y.png

2017-01-21%201_zpsvvaphdx9.png

Cool pics! Tough job, but someone has to do it. ;) :D

Cool! Looks like fun

Wow great fish. I bet that was fun!!!

You see Sammy Hagar down thar, or go to his club?

Cabo Wabo Club was maybe 1/2 a block from where we were staying. Didn't go in tho. Didn't see Sammy either.

We did a 3 day trip out of San Diego last year. Caught 22 yellowtail. Good eatin. In fact we had some beer batter fried tonight! Quite tasty! :D

Nothing like catching a billfish!! My oldest son caught and released his first white marlin when he was 12 and his first blue at 14, great times!! My youngest caught his first Swordfish this past summer, he's 21, but in just starting to fish with me! :)

Nice.
One of my sales guys is planning a 2 day trip out of Destin in a couple months for some customers. I of course, ahem, volunteered myself to go along with him, as support. As they say, rank has its privleges.

Nice.
One of my sales guys is planning a 2 day trip out of Destin in a couple months for some customers. I of course, ahem, volunteered myself to go along with him, as support. As they say, rank has its privleges.
They will need a chaperone!

Nice.

Cool... an overnight trip to the oil rigs I am guessing? Always wanted to try that.

We have good offshore fishing here in NC. Had a couple great days this year, caught yellowfin tuna, mahi, sailfish and wahoo. No marlin but was not really targeting them. I don't have the equipment to go after blues. White marlin can get really hot out of Hatteras but I have not experienced it.

A friend caught this 450lb Bluefin Tuna last weekend ONE MILE out of Wrightsville beach in a 21' flat bottom skiff. Someone caught a 1,000lb tuna last year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170117-222923.jpg
    Screenshot_20170117-222923.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 12
NA - Fishing in Cabo....

I usually fish in Carhartts....

And great pictures.... looks like fun times..!!!

A friend caught this 450lb Bluefin Tuna last weekend ONE MILE out of Wrightsville beach in a 21' flat bottom skiff. Someone caught a 1,000lb tuna last year.

Thats a biiiig tuna! My wife and I hope to get out to the east coast to do some fishing.

I didn't see you land any of those at Gastons, but you two really skunked me on the total fish count, looks like a lot of fun.

Tuna would be my first choice.

Oregon Inlet, spring or fall. April-May or October-November are peak months for Yellowfin. They are 40-60lbs usually.

April-May Big gaffer dolphin should be thick - 20-35lbs. October-November wahoo are around in pretty good numbers, but they usually stay inshore of the Tuna. If you are going in the spring, you might consider early - mid may as the weather in April can be hit or miss - though the big charter boats can make it out most days it might be rough.

There are 30+ charter boats, 50-60' cold molded carolina boats between Oregon Inlet Fishing Center, Pirate's Cove and Wanchese. Lots of places to rent on VRBO.com either Nags Head, Pirates Cove etc...

If you are headed up this way and want someone to share in the charter expenses let me know. I will probably be between boats for awhile. I am selling my Albemarle 24 now, I want to get a bigger boat with twins. But I am also getting married in May and then going house shopping after that, so it will probably be fall before I can start the search for a new boat.

Last edited:
Back