[NA] First Bike Ride of the Spring

Bulldog573

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
It wasn’t long and it wasn’t pretty, but I blew the cobwebs out. I really need to get back in shape, though, I’m a couple of months behind :(

Edit: That’s bicycle, for you “real bikers”.

I started, got a 50mile ride in a few weeks ago, now it's been over a week since I rode. Way behind this year, hoping for a strong finish.

Last edited:
I rode 10 miles last weekend. I was worthless afterwards. I should do the same. What are you riding?

An inexpensive Cannondale hybrid. I dropped almost 50 pounds last summer, and bought the bike for some variety in the exercise routine. I’m not a racer, but I sure like riding.

Still using the bike at the gym,should have the cross bike out next week.

The weather around here is conducive to year-round cycling, and I try to do 75-100 miles a week, mostly in the Marin Headlands where there is some decent climbing without too much traffic. Until recently, I did the annual 545 mile AIDS/LifeCycle charity ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles in early June.

The weather around here is conducive to year-round cycling, and I try to do 75-100 miles a week, mostly in the Marin Headlands where there is some decent climbing without too much traffic. Until recently, I did the annual 545 mile AIDS/LifeCycle charity ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles in early June.

I thought I recognized your avatar.

I've already done ~100 miles this year (recumbent trike, not bike), which is pretty good for me considering last year was under 90. Most of my rides are in the 5-15 mile range, depending on how much daylight is left after I get home from work.

16 miles single track through the Sheyenne grasslands this morning. Not much elevation change, but stretches of bottomless quicksand to get a workout. Didn't have time to wash the bike after I got back, now I'll have an apartment smelling like cow-pie when I return next week :eek:

I'm fairly new to cycling as an adult. My Strava summary shows;

February - 51 miles
March - 101 miles
April - 140 miles
May - 211 miles so far but shooting for 250 by the end of the month

At least I'm moving in the right direction. I feel like I've come a long way since February.

I have a Columba 26" folding bike for the airplane and a Fuji Sportif 1.3 endurance road bike for home. I really enjoying flying down to the coast and riding around the bike paths on the islands. Flew to St Simons on 5/11/18 and rode 21.2 all over the south end of the island. So much fun. The combination of flying and cycling really makes for an awesome day!

Attachments

• IMG_2980.JPG
    IMG_2980.JPG
    249.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2983.JPG
    IMG_2983.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2984.JPG
    IMG_2984.JPG
    341.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2992.JPG
    IMG_2992.JPG
    364.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2993.JPG
    IMG_2993.JPG
    202.7 KB · Views: 9
The weather in Wisconsin has not been the greatest this spring, and I'm a fair weather rider as it is. So I've only been out once for 52 miles. But I do a bunch of indoor biking on a trainer year round, so aside from riding hills, I'm in good shape :) When I did a bike challenge at work and was focused just on outdoor miles and not actual bike fitness I rode 4100 miles May-September.

Current bike stable:
- 2018 Trek Madone 9.9
- 2017 Trek Top Fuel 9.8
- 2015 Trek Speed Concept 9

Got out for a quick 5-mile ride a few nights ago. Wasn't too difficult, but I was definitely using more of the quad/glutes than I normally would with my weekly soccer matches. I need to put a few more pounds of pressure in the tires when I ride on pavement. Running upper-20s was putting up a good bit of rolling resistance, but it is a mountain bike, not a road bike.

2014 Trek Superfly FS8

Only 722 for me on Strava but that has been almost exclusively indoors on the Wahoo Kickr with Zwift (plus another 312 running)

Got out for a quick 5-mile ride a few nights ago. Wasn't too difficult, but I was definitely using more of the quad/glutes than I normally would with my weekly soccer matches. I need to put a few more pounds of pressure in the tires when I ride on pavement. Running upper-20s was putting up a good bit of rolling resistance, but it is a mountain bike, not a road bike.

2014 Trek Superfly FS8

Yeah, I could barely walk when I finished. In fact, it may have been a few minutes before I actually dismounted ;)

Back