[NA] Find Friends

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
New iphone app, to me.

Yes; invasive if you want your privacy.

But for people who agree to, and benefit from knowledge of each others' location it saves a lot of texting/calling, sometimes worry.
It is not miraculously accurate; many instances of >200' error and impossible speeds where friend moves at speed of light, then right back to original location.....but in all, pretty cool I think. Even has worked in the air, below 10K for me.

You don't need that app to be tracked by those that you don't want tracking you, as long as you have a cell phone with at least voice service. Data and location services just make it a little bit easier.

I know a lady who uses an app like that to track her kids throughout the day. A bit overkill if you ask me, but I guess it's cool.

Internet, USA, Earth?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Life360 is an Android app that does that for family and friends.

Or Graticule you can share a link that is viewable from any browser... which might serve as a poor man's 406 to trusted people.

My wife and I leave it on, for mundane tracking purposes -- you know, knowing when to start cooking dinner so it'll be ready when the later person walks in the door -- without needing a billion texts.

But since we both have longish commutes to live rural, we often just end up talking about the day during one or the other person's drive anyway so that's all "done" before we get home.

This also keeps us up to date on whether our carrier still sucks ping pong balls through a straw in terms of coverage in specific well-known locations... "I'm coming up on the call drop next to the golf course. Call ya back after it does it."

Us rural folk can know exactly where calls will drop like clockwork. Unless a carrier builds a new tower site.

My wife and I leave it on, for mundane tracking purposes -- you know, knowing when to start cooking dinner so it'll be ready when the later person walks in the door -- without needing a billion texts.

But since we both have longish commutes to live rural, we often just end up talking about the day during one or the other person's drive anyway so that's all "done" before we get home.

This also keeps us up to date on whether our carrier still sucks ping pong balls through a straw in terms of coverage in specific well-known locations... "I'm coming up on the call drop next to the golf course. Call ya back after it does it."

Us rural folk can know exactly where calls will drop like clockwork. Unless a carrier builds a new tower site.
Yes we do...

Finding it useful to alleviate that anxiety 'some' get...when I have my hands full and cannot be texting/calling.
"I'll call you if I crash" is no longer cutting it.

Finding it useful to alleviate that anxiety 'some' get...when I have my hands full and cannot be texting/calling.
"I'll call you if I crash" is no longer cutting it.

I use the canned response thing or the voice to text thing for that, and the phone lives in a Ram mount when driving.

Works great. Keeps it up in my line of view for using it as a moving map in Waze, also.

The voice to text thing is fairly impressive on some of these phones now. I answered an entire series of questions texted to me one night while I was headed to pick up the dogs with it. It made small errors but the person knew what I meant.

The new FindFriends is Life360.
Really helped us in Osh; always had a general idea where everyone was. when it came time to meet up, we would go towards the dot (it displays buildings, roads pretty well).
Sometimes we'd come around a corner, both looking at phones to navigate- and "there they were"!
Great accuracy.

I use the canned response thing or the voice to text thing for that, and the phone lives in a Ram mount when driving.

Works great. Keeps it up in my line of view for using it as a moving map in Waze, also.

The voice to text thing is fairly impressive on some of these phones now. I answered an entire series of questions texted to me one night while I was headed to pick up the dogs with it. It made small errors but the person knew what I meant.

Siri still sucks at trying to translate SQL statements when I have to answer questions from work hands-free. :)

This is better then find my iPhone?
Can you use FMI to find unlimited number of friends at once, on one map, with a 3-click app download and enrollment and where you can shoot them a message in the app? If so, then it might be.

This is better then find my iPhone?
I think to use find my iPhone you need to know the Apple ID and password for the device you are locating. Find my friends only needs thier "opt in" to your request. It can be a one time - share for a few minutes or a permanent opt in. We use it for family. It is convenient.

Back