[NA]Fax via email?[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I need to receive one fax tomorrow while on the road. Ideally it would arrive by email. I don't trust the hotel to preserve confidentiality. Is there anyway to do this? Did Troy already answer this?! It is not so private that I would not trust email but I'd rather it did not sit around on a hotel counter for an hour.
And I can't tell when it might come, I can't sit around waiting for it. It has to come by fax because the sender is not capable of sending any other way. Thanks!

Or, if you like, I have a fax to email number I can redirect to your email, in about 3 minutes. No cost to me, easy-peasy.

---

Edit:

Check your email.

Last edited:
I have also used efax.com. I've had a free receive-only account now for over ten years with the same number. The free account is a loss lead to have you upgrade to the paid version but the free version has served my needs just fine. The only disadvantage is you need to have their software (free) to read or print the fax attachment when the email comes.

Is PDF an option? We hardly ever send (or receive) faxes anymore since we PDF and email almost all documents we would otherwise fax even if we have to scan them. Better document control and more security.

Is PDF an option? We hardly ever send (or receive) faxes anymore since we PDF and email almost all documents we would otherwise fax even if we have to scan them. Better document control and more security.

myfax.com sends you the fax as pdf. I believe faxpipe does the same.

Using those services tremendously cuts down on toner and print cost if you have a business. Junk-faxes just get the delete button, artsy cover pages that gobble up toner dont have to be printed etc. Also, if you have a mobile device it's easy to keep track of what is coming in.

Sending faxes by attaching documents or pdfs works well if you are dealing with things that are already digital, if you have to scan and then upload to myfax, it's a bit of a hassle. Still have a multifunction printer hooked up to a phone extension for outgoing faxes to make that part easier.

myfax.com sends you the fax as pdf. I believe faxpipe does the same.

Using those services tremendously cuts down on toner and print cost if you have a business. Junk-faxes just get the delete button, artsy cover pages that gobble up toner dont have to be printed etc. Also, if you have a mobile device it's easy to keep track of what is coming in.

Sending faxes by attaching documents or pdfs works well if you are dealing with things that are already digital, if you have to scan and then upload to myfax, it's a bit of a hassle. Still have a multifunction printer hooked up to a phone extension for outgoing faxes to make that part easier.

Yes but in our case we have both a color scanner and a high volume printer/scanner which can directly generate PDF's if we need to send something that is not already in digital form, so we can send it direct via email. My question to the OP was more of whether or not the original source of the fax could send the document(s) via email, as if it is a company of any size, it probably has similar capabilities.

PDF-ing digital documents is great. We don't even bother mailing hard copies of routine letters and even formal correspondance unless there is some legal or civil need to get registered delivery. Saves a lot on paper and file storage space.

Yes but in our case we have both a color scanner and a high volume printer/scanner which can directly generate PDF's if we need to send something that is not already in digital form, so we can send it direct via email. My question to the OP was more of whether or not the original source of the fax could send the document(s) via email, as if it is a company of any size, it probably has similar capabilities.

Most of the people we deal with live in the age of faxes, a myfax or faxpipe account allows us to bridge the divide between the 20th and 21st century.

For staff, it is easier to drop a handwritten note, checklist or lab report into the fax and to dial a number rather than running it through the scanner, looking for the pdf on their desktop, uploading it onto the fax website, looking up the contact and sending it as a fax.

I have also used efax.com. I've had a free receive-only account now for over ten years with the same number. The free account is a loss lead to have you upgrade to the paid version but the free version has served my needs just fine. The only disadvantage is you need to have their software (free) to read or print the fax attachment when the email comes.

I use eFAX free as well, for my "work" fax number on my business card. Their reader is good in that it's one of the few apps that can properly handle multi-page TIF documents. That's how I'm able to print the multi-page PDF's of the Cirrus v. Campbell case that I download from the court's site. If you open the TIF file with any of the built-in viewers, you can only see the cover page.

Back