[NA] Extra bed?

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
My wise buddies:

Mom is threatening to stay at my place starting Wednesday. I need to get a bed for her and for future guests. Being that I have 5 bedrooms one one bed, I can get a couple.

I ordered a full size Aero-Bed from Sears. Then I had visions of 80 year old mom having to get up from a mattress on the floor. :no: Are there platforms that would raise it up?

So....should I go for a "rollaway?" I think that would be hard to store vs. an inflatable.

Maybe I should just buy another real bed. *sigh*

Else I'm off to buy used or something.

Any ideas?

You have 5 bedrooms and are worried about storage? You got a lot of stuff!

Get a real bed. She's your mom.

Advice: Don't buy a bed. Let mom stay elsewhere. LOL

or any old ratty couch usually does fine. dont want to make it too nice or she'll keep coming back Mike :)

They make extra wide arm chairs that fold out into a twin bed.

I've got two Aero beds. I slept on 'em for a couple of nights in the new house until I could get my guest-room stuff up moved in (temporary living until I move the whole household of stuff).

I needed both beds as I'm just outright too tall for a single-size mattress.

If you want to raise them up, get a cheap, standard bedframe of the correct size. Lay a piece of 1/2 inch or larger plywood across the bedframe to make a platform so the aerobed isn't sitting on the metal supports or slats. Hint: Lowes/Home Depot will make two cuts on a plywood sheet for free. Total cost: about $50 + the cost of the aerobed.

Other options: a Futon. A fold-out sofa-bed (expensive, but if you have guests over, well worth it). A hammock (oh, wait, might not be so good for an older person). A rollaway.

Do NOT buy a used mattress. Don't take the chance of getting bedbugs.

Last edited:
You have 5 bedrooms and are worried about storage? You got a lot of stuff!

Get a real bed. She's your mom.

1 - Master bedroom
2 - Guest bedroom, future Master bedroom
3 - Possible Guest bedroom
4 - Home Office/computer room
5 - Storeroom (don't have a garage yet)

also have a sunroom and family/rec room which will be the media room :p

Yes, I have a lot of stuff. It seriously will be a challenge to store it all...and it's coming out of a 3 tiny bedroom city apartment :rolleyes: I've already made 4-5 full trash loads, too.

She's your Mom; get her a real bed.
Also, be sure to get a matress cover in case she decides to get it on in the next room.:eek:

She's your Mom; get her a real bed.
Also, be sure to get a matress cover in case she decides to get it on in the next room.:eek:

now that is just wrong...

80 year old Mom, get a real bed. I had aero beds in SC for a while - they aren't awful but they aren't something I'd want to sleep on for more than a few nights.

Actually, they do make a frame for those air beds:

http://www.sparebed.com/LCM-Bed-Frame.pro

But I agree..it's your mom, get a real bed!

Wow! THANKS!

I called Costco and they have the raised AeroBed. I assume it's the one that is 20" off of the floor. I wonder if you put the raised bed on that frame if it gets to be too high.

I think I'll get a Futon, too.

But the problem is I need something quick. I can pick this AeroBed up tomorrow. If I order anything from Costco.com it can take 4-6 weeks to deliver.

Last edited:
Back