[NA]email fail[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
My email address is "___@sbcglobal.net", which was eventually purchased by yahoo.com.

In the last few months I have run into spells where my email browser cannot send or receive my emails until I log onto the yahoo.com site.

Immediately after I log in, the emails start downloading to my email browser (Seamonkey).

In my gut, I blame the server not the browser.

Any tips on tracking this down or better yet, fixing it?

I have a @sbcglobal.net address, too, and have for quite a few years. I haven't had any problems with it, but I haven't tried to access any way other than through our ATT.com account on Firefox and Explorer on PCs, and Safari on the Mac and the iPhone.

Don't know if that helps or not, or if it really has anything to do with your problem.

I'm going to guess that you may have to change the mail servers in Seamonkey to:

Incoming: pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
Outgoing: smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com

Just a guess, though.

-Rich

Here's what they are now:
Out: smtp.att.yahoo.com
In: pop.att.yahoo.com

Still think I should try it?

Here's what they are now:
Out: smtp.att.yahoo.com
In: pop.att.yahoo.com

Still think I should try it?

Couldn't hurt. You can always change them back.

Make sure you know your password, just in case you're asked for it by the client.

-Rich

You remind me that the error message I keep getting is a pw request. When I enter it, I get this error message. "Sending pw did not succeed. UN or pw is incorrect."

Anyway your suggestion worked. On one computer, and one email account.

The other computer and email account - it did not work. In fact, with that account, I can receive no email even when I log into yahoo.com
I can log in, so I know the pw is correct (and I have had the same pw for both accounts for years). I can see the mail on yahoo.com as well. Yes capslock is off.

You remind me that the error message I keep getting is a pw request. When I enter it, I get this error message. "Sending pw did not succeed. UN or pw is incorrect."

Anyway your suggestion worked. On one computer, and one email account.

The other computer and email account - it did not work. In fact, with that account, I can receive no email even when I log into yahoo.com
I can log in, so I know the pw is correct (and I have had the same pw for both accounts for years). I can see the mail on yahoo.com as well. Yes capslock is off.

Is it possible that the computer that works is deleting the email when it checks it? This is the default behavior for POP email clients.

Soo... if you log in with the computer that works, and it downloads the mail, then it will not be there when you check it with the other computer. That's not an error. It's how things work.

If you want the mail to be available on both computers using POP, you have to dig into the server settings on at least one of the computers and find a box labeled "leave a copy of mail on the server" for X number of days, or something along those lines. Usually, most folks do this on the computer that they don't consider their "main" computer.

In other words...

You may have both a computer and a tablet device. You consider the computer to be your "main" email client, meaning it's the one at which you want to make decisions about what mail to keep, what to delete, and so forth. On that computer, you would leave the box un-checked, so when you download the mail, it no longer exists on the server.

The tablet device, on the other hand, you use while working and traveling. You want to be able to see all of the mail, but a lot of it you don't want to deal with until you get home to your comfy computer. So on the tablet, you would check the box to leave a copy of the mail on the server, so it's still there when you get home.

In general, phones used to send and receive mail are also set up to leave the mail on the server.

The other solution, of course, would be to use IMAP, if the provider allows for it. But IMAP's ethos introduces its own set of complexities and dilemmas regarding bandwidth, storage, maintenance, spam-filtering, and other issues; so many providers require (or at least prefer) that you use POP.

-Rich

Last edited:
So many free/lame providers require POP you mean. :)

Heck, even Google Mail has IMAP these days...

POP is a leftover from the days of tiny hard drives and modems.

What worked yesterday does not work today, back to the same problem again with both computers.
It is not an email deletion issue as these are two separate computers with two separate email accounts.
The ipads are loading mail just fine, so it's not the server, its the browsers.

re your other notes on setting mail to store or delete, we have not changed any settings - everything was running well but now it is not.

Thanks

Is it possible that the computer that works is deleting the email when it checks it? This is the default behavior for POP email clients.

Soo... if you log in with the computer that works, and it downloads the mail, then it will not be there when you check it with the other computer. That's not an error. It's how things work.

If you want the mail to be available on both computers using POP, you have to dig into the server settings on at least one of the computers and find a box labeled "leave a copy of mail on the server" for X number of days, or something along those lines. Usually, most folks do this on the computer that they don't consider their "main" computer.

In other words...

You may have both a computer and a tablet device. You consider the computer to be your "main" email client, meaning it's the one at which you want to make decisions about what mail to keep, what to delete, and so forth. On that computer, you would leave the box un-checked, so when you download the mail, it no longer exists on the server.

The tablet device, on the other hand, you use while working and traveling. You want to be able to see all of the mail, but a lot of it you don't want to deal with until you get home to your comfy computer. So on the tablet, you would check the box to leave a copy of the mail on the server, so it's still there when you get home.

In general, phones used to send and receive mail are also set up to leave the mail on the server.

The other solution, of course, would be to use IMAP, if the provider allows for it. But IMAP's ethos introduces its own set of complexities and dilemmas regarding bandwidth, storage, maintenance, spam-filtering, and other issues; so many providers require (or at least prefer) that you use POP.

-Rich

What worked yesterday does not work today, back to the same problem again with both computers.
It is not an email deletion issue as these are two separate computers with two separate email accounts.
The ipads are loading mail just fine, so it's not the server, its the browsers.

re your other notes on setting mail to store or delete, we have not changed any settings - everything was running well but now it is not.

Thanks

I'm not familiar enough with the iPad to say this with certainty, but probably the incoming server address on the iPad is the correct POP address; and the outgoing (for your home computer) would be just smtp. (instead of pop.) at the same domain / subdomain combination. The outgoing server on the iPad may be something else (probably something on the carrier's service).

But again, I'm really not sure how the iPad does things, so that's just a hunch.

If the settings are correct on only one of your home computers, it could be that the other one has been trying to check mail using invalid credentials all night; and your IP address may have been blocked as a result. This would affect both of your computers because they (presumably) share a public IP address through your router.

If that's the case, the block may clear itself, or you may have to place a call to support to get it unblocked.

-Rich

The mail server may not be allowing multiple logins simultaneously. What happens if you turn off the device that's working for a bit? Does the other start working?

Back