NA electrician help

I've never had a insurance company ask for a permit. I never keep permits past the final inspection and the insurance company hasn't ever come around at all.

I've never had a insurance company ask for a permit. I never keep permits past the final inspection and the insurance company hasn't ever come around at all.
I brought this up in this thread after knowing of a case where a place burned after a renovation. It got hung on an electrician that did not pull a permit. I think the adjuster or investigator did the leg work, found no permit was pulled, no inspection done and, as I recall someone in the process found code violations in the area the fire started and used that to make a case for the electrcian's insurance company to pay.

We always did our 100 Amp services with #2 AWG

In my production company, we use 2 GA for 100 amps...2/0 for 200 amps and 4/0 for 400 amps...rubber jacketed cable rated for 600 volts...not sure the type...no SO for sure...I should look it up...

No permits. No inspectors.

The county is the size of Delaware, and has one (1) incorporated municipality.

Self-reliance is the order of the day.

Sure wish I lived there...

In my production company, we use 2 GA for 100 amps...2/0 for 200 amps and 4/0 for 400 amps...rubber jacketed cable rated for 600 volts...not sure the type...no SO for sure...I should look it up...
I've never seen rubber jacketed cable. I've seen rubber jacketed CORD. You do not want to use cordage for permanent building wire.

I've never seen rubber jacketed cable. I've seen rubber jacketed CORD. You do not want to use cordage for permanent building wire.

I know threads like these can be a competition to see who is more pedantic, but I have never heard anybody call the kind of wire he presumably is talking about called "cord". Always called cable. In the entertainment industry and the welding industry. Everybody calls it cable. Maybe in a book it's called cord, but everybody calls it cable. At least on the west coast it is.

Even the manufacturer, in this case Carol Brand by General Cable calls it cable-

http://catalogs.generalcable.com/Viewer.aspx?docid=9bf6ad29-9519-4768-9e65-a436016e643e#?page=52

The same goes for their welding products. In my mind, cord is usually a portable, rubberized multi conductor affair. Like an extension cord. When it's single conductor, it becomes cable. That's just me though. I am known to be wrong sometimes in the minutia of vernacular.

The NEC lumps it in with cordage but whatever you call it you can not use Type SC in through walls or in place of permanent building wiring. It is both illegal and unsafe. That was my point.

The NEC lumps it in with cordage but whatever you call it you can not use Type SC in through walls or in place of permanent building wiring. It is both illegal and unsafe. That was my point.

No kiddin'...I can't imagine anyone using SC for an permanent installation...thus, my point was made in post #33. Use conduit and I recommend #2's and a disconnect.

The reference to rubber jacketed cable had only to do with ampacity. I can read ampacity tables as well as anyone but the data I posted on the size of cable we use for a given load capability was just that...what we do in our production company. I am not one for undersizing anything electrical or rigging...there is no value in shaving pennies off of a project when they buy extra capability.

The problem is cordage (and flexible cable) typically have a higher ampacity for the gauge that approved building conductors. You don't want to use that as a yard stick.

Woo, another post from the past!

Neighbor network is top most - especially to learn rates, reliability, quality, etc. Absent that, a little Next Door app, Angie's Yelp and make calls to get a sense of how they work the phone. Just looking for someone that can ask the right questions because they should be a bit discriminating of the customers as you would be discriminating about who you would invite into your house. FYI - not the site with initials HA. They have a reputation for treating the vendors in their network poorly.

Back