[NA]Ebay & private sellers[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Seems like when I search for something on ebay all I get are professional vendors. Do I remember a time when you would find mostly private individual sellers? The vendors are oh-kay....but the deals are mostly gone. Whereas you could previously buy something lightly used at 50c on the dollar from an individual, now the vendors have taken over and their prices are quite a bit higher. Is there an option to opt out of professional sellers?
Maybe Craiglist now?

I haven't been on ebay in years. You used to be able to pick up some bargains, but that disappeared so I just quit going there. If I have to pay retail I'll just buy in person or go to amazon.

And it may be fixed now, but there was a time you'd type in the name of an item and all kinds of crap would float to the top, most of it only vaguely related to what I wanted to buy.

I just bought a almost new Dual XGPS170 GPS / ADS-B receiver from a private guy in Florida.

Generally, though, eBay kind of turned from an online-flee market into a platform for commercial sellers. Kind of like Amazon, only without reviews, inconsistent shipping terms and less reliable sellers. Actually, I wonder how eBay is doing recently? Feels like the big hype is gone and the crowd has moved on...

Back when it was still a viable site for me I bought all kinds of stuff on there. Antiques for the most part. A couple of motorcycles and a few trucks. The Harleys were 1-2 years old and almost half of what I'd expected to pay. I bought one by accident, playing around thinking there was no way it would sell for my bid. It did, and I was thrilled. I felt like I got incredible buys on the trucks as well.

Now I'm tempted to take a look just to see if I can find a first car for my daughter.

eBay isn't the venue it used to be for casual sellers.

I used to sell quite often on eBay. I sold between $500.00 and $1,500.00 of stuff a month for several years, with 100 percent positive feedback. I was also certified by eBay as both a Consultant and a Developer.

I started to fall out of love with eBay, however, when their policies started favoring buyers too much. The last straw was when they took away the ability of sellers to leave negative feedback for buyers, which was one of the very few remaining protections that sellers had against scam artist buyers after eBay made the whole dispute process a charade.

Rich

Got a great old houseboat on there once upon a time...

Back