[NA]Dell Inspiron Fan Squeal[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Can I purchase and replace one? (it s out of warrantee now) Can't imagine a drop of sewing machine lube will fix it.

Dave, open the case and look at the fan: info required is size (probably square, give L x W x D); RPM; and voltage. All are DC, probably 12v.

These are usually commodity items, very cheap in big-box electronics stores such as Fry's, Micro-Center, DataTex. In other words, nearly unattainable in Marfa!

But seriously, get that info, I'll drop by and pick one up for you. Cost is usually low enough to be almost trivial.

Capeche?

P.S.- The sewing machine oil might help for a while (not permanent), but you usually have to get the fan and peel off the sticker from the back of it to get to the shaft where you oil it. BTDT.

Probably just better to replace it. They're easy to replace and you can probably get a better one (more volume of airflow) thats quieter for a reasonable price from somplace like TigerDirect.com or your local electronics shop.

DONT go cheap on the fans - cheap fans = loud fans.

I like the tri-color neon ones myself. ;)

If this is a laptop, you might have some fun getting to it. I hate taking apart laptops.

Oh, yeah, the Dell Inspiron is a laptop isn't it?

Ugh. No fun!

Brian Austin said:
If this is a laptop, you might have some fun getting to it. I hate taking apart laptops.

Oops, Inspiron is Dell-ese for "laptop," ain't it?

All above applies, 'cept if you break it getting into it, don' blame me, hokay?

Laptops are engineered to be built, not fixed. Concept:broken fan? Buy a new 'puter.

Yup, laptop.
I can see an access plate over the fan with ordinary phillips screwheads, sounds promising.

Do these things have high V capacitors in them? Or other stored charge devices that could hurt a fiddler?

Let'sgoflying! said:
Yup, laptop.
I can see an access plate over the fan with ordinary phillips screwheads, sounds promising.

Do these things have high V capacitors in them? Or other stored charge devices that could hurt a fiddler?
No, there shouldn't be any high voltage stuff in there. All 12 & 5VDC stuff, generally. Short a capacitor and you might hear a pop with a little smoke but I doubt you'd feel it.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Yup, laptop.

Pull the battery and/or power cord and you should be good. There shouldn't be anything in there to hold a charge.
One word of caution for running with the case apart: The LCD display backlighting is driven by a high voltage transformer that steps 12VDC up to lots of high frequency volts AC at practically no amps. It doesn't hold a charge when it's off so there's no issue there. Running mine with the case apart during repair sessions, I've popped a few picofuses that protect that circuit by (dunce mode on) getting my finger or a screwdriver close enough to get an arc. Annoying but usually easily fixable. Off means you don't have to worry about it though.

Sewing machine oil or (IMO preferably) model train gear lubricant should shut the fan up if you can get to the shaft where the noise is coming from. BTDT on assorted fans with train gear lubricant and it's a really long time before it starts making noise again.

Let'sgoflying! said:
wont that make me feel great about trying to fix a silly fan.
I doubt you'd see much in that area, really.

But yeah, it would be kinda silly! ;)

Need help with disassembly. The only way to get at the fan is to remove the flip-up monitor and then more of the case I think.
I can't tell how to disconnect the monitor from the case.

Is it the folded blue plastic that allows the 'wires' to disconnect, or is it the U shaped white plastic? If so, how?

Then to unscrew the fan and find its wiring attachment.
Then to see if I can even buy a new one.

This is not turning out to be so easy.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Need help with disassembly. The only way to get at the fan is to remove the flip-up monitor and then more of the case I think.

Is it the folded blue plastic that allows the 'wires' to disconnect, or is it the U shaped white plastic? If so, how?

Disclaimer: I haven't disassembled a dell laptop before. Just the old compaq I have but the basics are about the same.

The blue clip looks like a stationary hard point to minimize wear on the cable and possibly to change to the smaller cable going to the right into the display portion of the case. I don't think you need to disassemble the blue piece any further but it will come off with the display and cable. If you disassemble that, you might be in a world of hurt.

U shaped white plastic is the plug end. I can't tell much about that specific plug from that angle and from the image quality. It looks like it should pull off but be really careful yanking around on that handle and only do it symmetrically. The orange cables are normally just multiple wires at a dead end on the orange piece with silver contact points about 1/8" long. The typical plug simply pulls up or toward the cable about 1/16" - 1/8" and the orange cable slides out with no hardware on the end of the cable.

Once you get that done, the silver cylinder showing in your picture at the hinge should be removeable with some screws and the display comes off and takes the cable with it. It should lift out vertically. Are there screws on the back just below that cylinder that you can access? 2-3 screws per hinge typically and often torx screw heads.

I hope you don't have to pull the rear PCboard to get the fan out. If you do, it's likely to get even more fun. Go slow, use logic, don't force anything.

As for buying a fan, plan on trying to fix those if possible. You might be able to find a replacement that'll fit the mount. From what I've seen, laptop hardware like that is near impossible to get your hands on for less than the cost of a new G-V.

Last edited:
fgcason said:
As for buying a fan, plan on trying to fix those if possible. You might be able to find a replacement that'll fit the mount. From what I've seen, laptop hardware like that is near impossible to get your hands on for less than the cost of a new G-V.
Those fans are often used for single bay drive enclosures. They're not as hard to find as some laptop parts.

As for the rest of your post and disassembling laptops...I can't find any discrepancies but I'm not touching it with a ten foot pole, either. I did mine ONCE...and that's it for me. Take photos of each stage of disassembly. Don't lose the screws. BTDT!! :hairraise:

Thanks Frank,
Here is a closer pic. I can take a side view if you want.

Yes the screen has 2 screws, as soon as I can disconnect the wire, the screen is free.

The ends of the white plastic are captured by the black plastic but I'm not sure how to free them.

Apparently Dell sells the fans but office closed right now. I will probably clean and lube it and deal with the Huge Impersonal Foreign Aggravating Company Phone Baloney tomorrow.

Brian Austin said:
Those fans are often used for single bay drive enclosures. They're not as hard to find as some laptop parts.

Good point. Single drop in fans might be very doable from a reputable electronics supply store.

Brian Austin said:
As for the rest of your post and disassembling laptops...I can't find any discrepancies but I'm not touching it with a ten foot pole, either. I did mine ONCE...and that's it for me. Take photos of each stage of disassembly. Don't lose the screws. BTDT!! :hairraise:

Yea! :hairraise: :hairraise: More like not touching with a couple hundred mile long pole. I've done mine about 4 times. Once was 5 times too many. Those things were NOT designed to be disassembled. Doable but a PITA.

The camera routine is highly recommended. Lay the screws out in a logical manner so you'll know roughly where they should go.

I repeat myself: Go slow, use logic, don't force anything.

That was a plug. It just pulls out. I think the white thing was a guard, it stayed in place.
Wife worried.

Let'sgoflying! said:
That was a plug. It just pulls out. I think the white thing was a guard, it stayed in place.

There ya go! The white thing is most likely a handle so you can pull it out symmetrically without bending anything.

Now you have to get to the fans...

Let'sgoflying! said:
Wife worried.

I bet she is. It's always unnerving seeing something scattered all over the place for the first time that should be in one pretty piece.
Don't feel bad about a couple pieces. Here's my motorcycle carburetor from about a month ago in 287 pieces: :hairraise: :eek: It runs beautifully now. :goofy: :)

Wow Frank, whats your shipping address? You might just be the man for my project!

I am now at another standstill - can't get to or see where the fan wires detach from the board. They run between a circuit board and the bottom case. Not sure what is holding the cb to the case - all the screws are out. Maybe the receptacles (usb, printer, external monitor, serial) at the back are holding it on?

Last edited:
Let'sgoflying! said:
Wow Frank, whats your shipping address? You might just be the man for my project!

I am now at another standstill - can't get to or see where the fan wires detach from the board. They run between a circuit board and the bottom case. Not sure what is holding the cb to the case - all the screws are out. Maybe the receptacles (usb, printer, external monitor, serial) at the back are holding it on?
Very possible that some of them are holding them in.

Very gently - *VERY GENTLY* - wiggle the cb and try and determine where it's firmly attached. If it won't wiggle, then its attached in more than one place.

High res close shots of the board in question would be helpful. :)

Let'sgoflying! said:

I have replaced those fans on an inspiron before.

When I did it I ended up removing everytihng, the LCD, the casing... It had to all come off. The board had to come off. The hard drive came out, the optical drive came out. Somewhere around here I have a picture of it all apart but I can't find it. You know what's even more annoying? The first time I replaced it I put it all back together and it turned out I forgot to plug the fans in so I had to take it all apart again.
Those fans are a pretty common thing to fail. I've replaced about three of them. I can't really tell you a whole lot of specifics as it was about Jan. when I last did it. As far as replacements I always had the customer order them from Dell. Not sure what they paid. But I could generally have it apart and back together within 25 minutes after the first time.

fgcason said:
about a month ago in 287 pieces: :hairraise: :eek: It runs beautifully now. :goofy: :)
Been there. Not fun. Oh the joys of an inline four. It's worth it when you are finished.

Last edited:
fgcason said:
I bet she is. It's always unnerving seeing something scattered all over the place for the first time that should be in one pretty piece.
Don't feel bad about a couple pieces. Here's my motorcycle carburetor from about a month ago in 287 pieces: :hairraise: :eek: It runs beautifully now. :goofy: :)

Any parts left over?:eek:

Let'sgoflying! said:

If my laptop is any example, anything mounted on the back pcboard panel that won't come off involves lots more disassembly. I'd start with removing the entire case and start pulling stuff that's in the way. I'd guess there is another annoying plug down there that has no room to move or is set at an angle that requires nothing else to be in the way. There might even be a couple screws going through the bottom of the case into the bottom of the fan enclosure. Laptop connectors are built to be solid and not move for obvious reasons so it'll take determination but don't force anything.

jangell said:
Been there. Not fun. Oh the joys of an inline four. It's worth it when you are finished.

Not fun? What are you talking about? I had a bigger blast doing that than I've had doing anything in a long time. They're dirt simple to work on, just lots of parts and time consuming cleaning when done correctly. In a couple years I'm going to do a Tom Downey Annual Inspection on the motorcycle. I'm going to zero time that puppy. Everything will come completely apart, be meticulously cleaned and repaired, repainted and reassembled.

lancefisher said:
Any parts left over?

Nope. They all went back on. (I've got about 100 photo's of the reassembly process) It fired up flawlessly first time with only a minor main idle adjust to get the proper RPM. (Missed the RPM by -->||<-- that much) Need an aircraft mechanic in a few years?

Back