NA Crossover cables

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Is the need for crossover computer cabling mostly gone with new equipment?
Am installing some stuff, making connections.

Most all network switches and hubs are auto-detect on polarity, so no real need.

I haven't seen any equipment that requires them for years. Auto MDI-X pretty much made them obsolete a long time ago.

Until a few years ago I used them on occasion to copy residential or SoHo clients' data from older computers to newer ones when they didn't have routers. That's about the only use I can think of for them nowadays.

Rich

If one were to poll all the cables made in the last 2 years, what % would be 568A and what % 568B? Or, if one buys cables off the shelf, which standard is being used mostly?

Most in wall wiring is done to 568B (90+%, maybe even higher). It really doesn't matter on a patch cable, as it is just a wire color difference and unless you are cutting the wire and crimping your own ends, you don't need to know.

Edit: Oh wait, you are going to make a crossover cable. Just get out a flash light and examine the connector closely (reading glasses).

Edit again: Just order a crossover cable. This place is cheap http://www.pimfg.com/product_list_kw.asp

Most everything is 558B, not that it matters with a premade cable. The only different is the pair numbering (i.e., what colors to use for the wires in between). You only really have to concern yourself if you're dealing with a connector on one end and dealing with the wire color codes in some junction panel.

OK I will use B. I don't need any crossover cables apparently thanks to new tech.

We terminate all of our cabling in the datacenter with 558B. I don't think we've had a need for a crossover to be cut in years... a few rollovers, yes, but 99%+ are straight-thru.

Two have said 558, I thought it was a typo at first. Must investigate, thought it was 568. Probably have been doing them completely wrong!

Two have said 558, I thought it was a typo at first. Must investigate, thought it was 568. Probably have been doing them completely wrong!

It is a typo. It should be 568.

I've always used 568B. I don't remember why. I just have. Probably whoever showed me the first time I ever did one used B.

Rich

I haven't needed to make patch cables in years. Monoprice.com is too cheap and easy.

I haven't needed to make patch cables in years. Monoprice.com is too cheap and easy.

I like them custom-cut to size so they look pretty. It's one of my OCD manifestations. I even like the shade and sheen of the blue sheath to match -- except for the wire from the modem to the router, which has to be Some Other Color, usually gray, but never yellow.

Back when we needed crossover cables for that connection, I made that one wire yellow, which is why I can't use yellow nowadays. It would just be... wrong.

Rich

A tip. Set up a business account with them if you are ordering a lot of cables. We saved 40% on a relatively small order.

The prices are already so low it is amazing, but in another 40% off was great.

Oh, I forgot. You have to place the order through your sales representative.

Back