[NA]Credit card fraud[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Got a call tonight; "do you have your cc in your possession, did you purchase these items in Las Vegas in the last 12 hours?"

I have it and have not been to V. Its a Visa card not a debit card.
I have not used the card in several days except for a small gift purchased Saturday in Boise.
So I am thinking this info could be used to help track the culprits - should I call the gift shop and let the boss know? Someone could have gotten my info there isn't that the most likely place? There was about 7 people bustling around making up chocolate boxes.

I have retained the card as proof that I didn't lose it, and called to make sure they cancelled it 800 367 7576 and yes it has.

My wife's card was recently used for a person to buy an airline ticket, and apparently leave the country. Based on what we learned from Capital One's fraud squad, don't assume the card number was lifted recently. Cards are often skimmed (either at the point of sale or at an internet site) and those numbers are then combined and sold in a group. Savvy thieves will wait a while before using the number if it's not about to expire, as that makes it harder to trace the point of capture, so the skimming can safely continue.

hmmm thanks I thought they would use it right away. Too many internet purchases?

The one we got had a caller ID of Sears - but they can make the caller ID say anything!

There are websites that will let you pretend to be calling from almost ANY number. Another big reason to not completely trust your caller ID.

Yeah - happened to us last weekend. CC company called us, said our card number had been used to make a trivial purchase on the internet, when it came back approved, the new card holder used it to spend $1200 at the Apple store in San Diego. One mouseclick later, the CC agent had cancelled the card. All this happened within a few hours.

Interesting, Tim, in fact the card was due to expire at the end of the month.

As an occasional webmaster, I have seen a number of phishing and particularly evil twinning sites recently that look surprisingly legit.

In particular there was a BofA evil twin that used a domain name of www.bankofamerica.com.**.ru. One of my users was taken in by the evil twin as the quick glance in the browser bar showed the site expected URL and the **.ru got lost in the query string.

~ Christopher

thanks, I was careful to not give out any personal info to the first caller.

I have it and have not been to V. Its a Visa card not a debit card.
I have not used the card in several days except for a small gift purchased Saturday in Boise.
So I am thinking this info could be used to help track the culprits - should I call the gift shop and let the boss know? Someone could have gotten my info there isn't that the most likely place? There was about 7 people bustling around making up chocolate boxes.

Usually lost cards are used quickly. Stolen number and information not necessarily so. You should inform the Issuer of you suspicion. Visa is looking for that kind of information from the Issuer to identify the actual points of compromise.

There is still a big problem with smaller operations using poorly or non-secured wireless networks to grab bulk card data.

Dave,

I'll make a strong recommendation to put a fraud alert on your credit report. I've carried one for a long time after being hit with CC fraud after a hotel stay in NYC.

There is no cost to getting the fraud alert on each of the three credit bureaus, it does ask that credit companies contact you prior to opening new accounts.

Bill

hmmm thanks I thought they would use it right away. Too many internet purchases?
They will use it right away if they have the physical card. It is only a matter of time before the owner notices that it is missing and cancels it, so speed is necessary for the theft to work big time. As pointed out, not so for a skimmed card.

-Skip

I get notices via e-mail almost once a week that my bank account needs somethings!! Mostly from banks with which I don't have an account. I had a charge this Summer to one of my cards from a vendor I never used and had to protest that. It kept getting re-charged until I threatened to drop the credit card.

Another issue with which I'm dealing is having MC turn down fuel charges when I fill the plane. MC is kicking back approval of my card until the FBO enters a zip code. The usually enter the FBO zip and it gets kicked back. The MC folks, in their infinite wisdom are treating this like a self serve car pump and want my zip which the FBO usually doesn't know <g>

We all pay for these fraud folks. Extra time, lost money, extra procedures, etc.

Best,

Dave

Well,

If you're buying fuel for the twin, it's amazing that you need only one CC.

I recently was in a bit of a bind when I bought fuel for the T-Arrow on a card that I usually don't use for AvGas. They refused the transaction and their fraud people informed me that 74 gallons of AvGas was not "part of my spending habit". Fortunately after much overzealous rhetoric on my part, they relented and I was able to pay for my gas.

~ Christopher

Update
I got a call from the card center today and they listed a dozen charges in L.A. and L.V. that I did not recognize, most under 100$ from jewelry, jeans, food, gas places.
They said I will not be responsible for the charges if I sign and return the affidavit.

It seems that the purchases involved a swiped card. And I have possession of my card. So they harvested my name and card and produced a bogus one somehow.
I was interested to learn the merchants would not get reimbursed. As a merchant it is a bit distressing.
I predict if enough people complain one day everyone must have a fingerprint scan to use a credit card. I guess you won't need the card then!

I predict if enough people complain one day everyone must have a fingerprint scan to use a credit card. I guess you won't need the card then!

Actually, the Jewel (Albertson's) by me DOES have the capability to pay with your fingerprint, which is tied to a checking account behind the scenes. So that day is already here!

Back