Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
Overview:
Student loans. 15k
No credit card debt.
No mortgage

I have been thinking about paying off the remainder of my student loans. The age of the loans is 9.5 years. My credit score seems to be mostly based on the age of this account and I'm afraid that paying it off will significantly reduce my score.

I don't plan to make any purchases that require a loan but I don't want to kill my scores just in case I decide a year from now I want to buy a home.

What would you do.

Do you have credit cards that you are paying off monthly? If so, that should be enough to maintain your credit.

What's your score now?

The age thing is based more on how long have you had credit cards open, not how long have you been paying on student loans.

Do you have credit cards that you are paying off monthly? If so, that should be enough to maintain your credit.

Actually, you can retain a good score just by having a utility and cell phone bill, remain current, and zero consumer debt.

Dave sez:
The only way to have a good credit score is to go into debt, stay in debt, and continually pay your accounts perfectly—without adding too much debt or paying too much off. In other words, stay in debt for as long as you can. How ridiculous is that?​

Dave is wrong on this. If this was the case, I would have a credit score of 5.

Dead horse discussion, Ed. I'm in the camp that you can get along just fine, including obtaining a home mortgage, without needing to be already in debt. Just got to connect with the right banker.

(and before you go off on me, no, I do not want to have a "who can pound on the deceased equine harder" contest with you.)

What is the interest on student loans?
No other liabilities then? Car?

What is the interest on student loans?
No other liabilities then? Car?
Varies around 3-8% or there abouts. Some are subsidized some are not so the rates are differing. No other debts, I have the 15k in the bank but I have yet to pull the trigger. I'm thinking of paying them down to around 3k. Paying the monthly interest might be a "cost" of keeping great scores should I need them in the future.

I'm no expert on credit, but I would think that if you are using your credit card and paying it off, your credit score will be just fine if you pay off the student loans.

Take the money and buy a plane. Then you'll have all the debt you can handle and your credit score will be fine.

Actually, unless you have something unfavorable like missed payments or bankruptcy, your credit score will be fine either with or without the student loan debt. I for one would want to pay off anything that was over about 4% right now. Then I would figure out what I needed for emergency funds and use the rest to pay as much of the loan as I could. Right now you are using your money to earn 1% and turning around and paying 3-8%. At that rate you will run out of money. It's best to quit while your not so far behind.

I'm no expert on credit, but I would think that if you are using your credit card and paying it off, your credit score will be just fine if you pay off the student loans.

I haven't had any loan payments in over 10 years - mortgage or otherwise, pay off my credit card every month, and still fall into the FICO "exceptional" category. In fact, it's gone up the past 4 months. I think a big factor is debt:credit available ratio when you don't have any loans. When I put a big chunk on my aviation only credit card - because I top off tanks a few times in a month - I drop a few points. If I don't use it (like in the case of crappy winter flying weather) it goes back up. I'm pretty sure it's because my debt:available ratio is lower.

Been running money through cards for over a decade. No balance ever. Paid off at the end of every cycle.

Score has sat in the low 800s forever.

It dipped to 790 the quarter I applied for two new cash back cards to reshuffle which ones I'm using with Costco/Amex going away.

After digging out of tens of thousands in consumer debt foolishly collected in our 20s, and once we pulled our heads out of our butts, we have no use for credit cards other than getting whatever perks they're offering.

I particularly liked visiting Costco to cash the last Amex rebate last weekend.

Got cheap gas, cashed check, cancelled membership, and they paid me $350 after paying for the gas, to do it. I thought it was a pretty good rate of return for 30 minutes of waiting.

They had to hand write me a check, they didn't have that much cash. I deposited it via a phone app and two photos in the hot dog eating area thanks to my credit union.

Play their game to benefit you. Not them.

Pay off all debts. Live free. Debt is modern slavery.

If you live debt-free then you shouldn't need to worry about what your FICO score is. Or am I missing something?

The easiest way to increase your credit score is to have as much credit available but use as little of it as possible. So to quickly build credit, open as many credit cards as possible (as long as you don't open the ones with stupid annual fees), and don't use them. That makes your available/used credit ratio favorable. Then just wait and your FICO score goes up when your credit history gets longer.

If you live debt-free then you shouldn't need to worry about what your FICO score is. Or am I missing something?
No, you're not really missing something. I want to be debt free for sure. I just thought I would like to protect my score so if I ever needed to visit a lender I would be in the best possible position.

Well, sort of. FICO score is used an all sorts of things to determine what rate you'll pay. Credit rating plays into things like security deposits with utilities, insurance rates and, apparently, a protective employer can use them to decide whether or not to hire you.

John

At some point I wrote a check for my wifes student loans just so I didn't have to deal with dimwits at the loan processor anymore.

Just keep a credit card, use it and pay it off every month. You'll never spend a penny on interest. Just don't allow them to give you too high of a credit limit, in the idiocy of the FICO score, having high limit revolving credit and only using single digit percentages of it reduces your score.

Maybe.

Well, sort of. FICO score is used an all sorts of things to determine what rate you'll pay. Credit rating plays into things like security deposits with utilities, insurance rates and, apparently, a protective employer can use them to decide whether or not to hire you.

These as well as more specifically insurers like to use it for rate-setting where allowed, too. They claim it shows a level of responsibility but they don't really word it that way for fear of being called on the rug for discrimination against broke people.

Certain types of background checks also will use them to see if you're more easily bribed than someone else, or as one of multiple indicators of impulsive behavior. Usually government classified type jobs but also some in financial and other areas where a person with a need for cash to get out of some sort of personal trouble could embezzle money easily. Or manipulate market prices of equities or other things.

Employers don't like seeing a bad score in those fiscal jobs or jobs where you're holding secrets like information that must not be released in a public company to anyone giving them an advantage to trade your stock, for example... and there's a reason those jobs often pay better than average. In theory, it's harder to get into debt trouble if you're paid higher than average.

In reality, this doesn't work, so your credit score is one of the "canary in a coal mine" signs they watch for changes in. In some of those jobs, so is your driving record. A sudden bout of nutty driving might be the first indicator they have that say, your marriage is falling apart and now you can be "bribed" with sex. Yeah, it gets that weird. I know more than one person who has to report any traffic tickets immediately to their Security Office and submit to a polygraph test that covers various questions already know in a baseline series of polygraphs, immediately, if the employer so desires.

Or so all the theories go. In practice they have a lot of indicators they watch when you work at those sorts of jobs. And they still miss bribery and affairs and such. Hopefully not as often as when not looking at all, is the operational hope.

Credit score is definitely one of those metrics some places use for "interesting" security stuff like that.

There are also multitudes of types of "credit scores" available from the three big agencies and there are also multiple types of FICO score, which are generally unavailable to the public.

It's a racket. It's their game. You have to give them money to earn your credit score. Paying loans off can work against you. Long term loans with consistent payments and no "slow" or late payments is the way to increase your score. I hate it, credit, strive to be debt free and be happier. This message not brought to you by Dave Ramsey.

I can get my credit score for free anytime I want. My credit:limit ratio is also in the single percentage digits, so I don't know where you guys get this stuff from.

I can get my credit score for free anytime I want. My credit:limit ratio is also in the single percentage digits, so I don't know where you guys get this stuff from.

If you re-read it, he was saying you pay them via having debt to have a high credit score. He wasn't saying you pay for the score itself.

Actually, if you're thinking about buying a house I'd focus on increasing your cash available before paying off a low interest loan. Cash is king.

. . . .

Certain types of background checks also will use them to see if you're more easily bribed than someone else, or as one of multiple indicators of impulsive behavior. Usually government classified type jobs but also some in financial and other areas where a person with a need for cash to get out of some sort of personal trouble could embezzle money easily. Or manipulate market prices of equities or other things.

. . . .

Financial distress is one of the most frequent reasons why security clearances are denied or revoked. I think it's actually been number one for the past 10 years or so, even above OPSEC violations. I know some people who used to be absolute low-life degenerates of the scariest sorts who managed to get cleared after 10 years of clean living (even to TS in a few cases), and I also know life-long choir boys who were denied clearances solely because of debt.

Rich

Back