[NA]Cool Mobile Phone App

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Last week during my trip to London I downloaded Google Maps for my mobile phone. This is the neatest FREE application I have ever seen. It is as good as the regular version and was really helpful. I can see this being a great thing when visiting and aerodrome and looking for stiff. You do need internet access for your phone but other than that there is no charge. To download it got to http://www.google.com/gmm on your phone's browser and just follow the directions.

Wonder how long it'll take for Verizon to block it in favor of their (expensive) directions service.

Wonder if only blackberrys/smartphones have enough memory to run it :dunno: Couldn't get it to load on my phone. Still trying to get that Treo...

Someone please post if it works well on a Treo. I'd love it they would facilitate more software using the cards.

So I went to the link and downloaded it, told it to install, and I think it did...

...damned if I can find how to get to it on the phone, though! (Nokia 6682)

just installed it on a Treo 650. seems to work just like web-based google maps, except doesn't do hybrid view (map overlaid on satellite photo, but does show each separately) ... shows my house, wife's car, trampoline in the back yard...

So I went to the link and downloaded it, told it to install, and I think it did...

...damned if I can find how to get to it on the phone, though! (Nokia 6682)

Since it is a Java app on the Moto phones it puts it into the games directory. not sure if Nokia has the same directory structure but check if there is a games area.

Since it is a Java app on the Moto phones it puts it into the games directory. not sure if Nokia has the same directory structure but check if there is a games area.
On my Nokia 6822 it puts apps like this in the menu/applications/collections folder. Also on newer Nokia phones there should be a "goto" softkey shortcut - you can opt for one of the "go to" options to take you directly to your collections folder.

I deleted some of the games and applications I don't use on the phone to clear memory and now it will load :goofy: Thanks for the headsup!

Awesome Scott! Thanks for the tip. Now I can wait a bit longer to buy my iPhone. ;)

It is now installed on my Sony Ericsson W600i, which asked whether I wanted it in "Applications" or "Games." (Nokia, take note...)

Went without a hitch so far.

Did anyone run the traffic congestion feature yet? The maps will show traffic back ups.

Sweet! :D

I'm sure it's only for the "30 major cities" that you can get on XM NavTraffic as well, but it's a start.

IF I can get it to work, that is. I'm not buying the "no congestion in the Chicago area" that it's showing so far...

Sweet! :D

I'm sure it's only for the "30 major cities" that you can get on XM NavTraffic as well, but it's a start.

IF I can get it to work, that is. I'm not buying the "no congestion in the Chicago area" that it's showing so far...

I don't trust any of those traffic info sites. Even the "traffic on the 8s," which comes from IDOT and their own copter is sometimes off. The travel times on the electronic billboards is often wrong too.

Maybe once more of us have phones with GPS in them they can start to get real time info - hopefully once we agree to participate. The iPhone will have GPS.

OK, never mind. It's working now. Looks like something must have happened on 80/94 eastbound, and on the Eisenhower outbound at Wood Dale.

Scott, this is too cool. Thanks again for posting it!

And... My battery just died. Everything has a cost, I guess. :rolleyes:

Back