[NA] Cloud Computing Question

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Does a cloud service exists that allows me
  • to have access to a "Virtual Windows 7, 8.1, or 10 PC" in a cloud environment
  • install my yard management software on it (java product) and a few other bits of software
  • make a connection to my yard data server so that my yard management software will work.
If so, tell me where to find it.

I am having an increasing need for a service such as this that I can access via both mobile devices and laptops. Configuring a Windows laptop to do this is totally doable, but I'm looking beyond to a mobile device solution.

Clouds? Clouds??
Awwww, you mean "them Ynterwebs". Nm. Moving on. :(
(I thought you were trying to calculate expected cloud height from the temperature and dewpoint or something fun, boooo! :D )

Are you just extending availability or do you have some up time requirements that are leading you to offsite hosting?

You can extend by using RDC from a tablet. (Just need to port forward to get through your firewall) I do this to get to a desktop at my office that runs some various stuffs I don't need on my Surface.

• install my yard management software on it (java product) and a few other bits of software
  • make a connection to my yard data server so that my yard management software will work.

I am having an increasing need for a service such as this that I can access via both mobile devices and laptops. Configuring a Windows laptop to do this is totally doable, but I'm looking beyond to a mobile device solution.

Uh, yeah Azure or AWS will do that, no problem. Just requires a bit of firewall management.

You need "yard management software"?

How big of a yard do you have? :confused:

AWS and Azure have been mentioned already. Both will work. Softlayer is another option.

The bigger problem will be configuration and testing. Since you're asking a relatively basic question, the configuration part might be a bit of a bear to take on yourself. Consider hiring someone to help if you can. Hiring a consultant for a few days might be a huge stress saver for you.

almost this big! :)

aerial-view-c141-b1-f111-davis-monthan-airplane-boneyard-az.jpg

davis-monthan-amarg-pima-air-museum-map.jpg

You need "yard management software"?

How big of a yard do you have? :confused:
Big enough that the data space cannot fit into one person's grey matter.
  • Hollander interchange that tells us what parts and the options for those parts are available on all domestically available models from 1965 to present. Think SKU's from a retail environment.
  • Demand and sales data on each SKU.
  • Purchase and process 500 vehicles per year. Need to keep up with what was purchased, the VIN and Title details, what was paid for it, what parts it contributed, how much sales was made. Where is it in the yard. When was it purchased, when did it arrive, when was it inventoried/taken apart/crushed.
  • Nearly 300,000 individual parts on site, identified by stock number, and where it's located.
  • Customer records
  • vendor records
  • Purchase orders
  • .... and more
So yes, an information management system is essential.

But if it was Henning running the place.....

We are building a similar environment for a client now. We priced Azure against AWS and Azure was cheaper for them, but it is not an apples to apples thing. The pricing for each is based on different stuff, such as memory, processors, amount of storage and type of storage. You will need to build it and manage it, as mentioned above.

We are building a similar environment for a client now. We priced Azure against AWS and Azure was cheaper for them, but it is not an apples to apples thing. The pricing for each is based on different stuff, such as memory, processors, amount of storage and type of storage. You will need to build it and manage it, as mentioned above.

This. It doesn't really get you out of the server management game if that's what you're looking to accomplish, Mike. It changes it subtly.

No more hardware to mess with, but the software and design and networking/firewall and security stuff is all there still. As someone pointed out, both AWS and Azure have "Application only" type setups where you also get to dump worrying about the OS for the most part, but they're not free.

As far as mobile devices go... There's ways to extend the desktop to mobile devices, easily, as long as they operate always where there's good cellular or wifi bandwidth (with cellular being the expensive route), but many user interfaces on traditionally desktop software are god-awful on a touch screen tablet or phone. You could try this out before even moving it off site with RDP or similar and see if the UI drives you totally nuts.

You can do a lot with "the clouds" but for a small environment it's still very heavily hands on. It works better at larger scale where you have dedicated people writing automation to spin up and spin down things as needed.

Initial pricing is (almost seemingly on purpose) confusing on all of them also -- figuring out pricing was a significant time suck before we went with AWS for our stuff.

Back