NA classic dumb as a rock scammers

Silvaire

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Silvaire
I recently put a $100 item for sale on CraigsList and shortly after got a text message from a lady who said they were moving and her husband was going to overnight a cashiers check to me to hold the merchandise so, as gullible and trusting as I am I gave her my address. About three days later I get an express mail check for $1,950 with instructions to cash it and wire transfer the excess to a mover in Georgia.

So I'm scratching my head here wondering, does this actually work? Are there really people out there stupid enough to follow these instructions?

I ignore them and then get an email wondering why I have the money and have not responded? I respond that I just had surgery and can't deposit the check until next week figuring they will give up but I'm also entertaining the thought of making a little hobby of this because I do have a text message with a phone number, a gmail account, a name and address for the mover and physical evidence.

The text was through textnow.com so the number is fake and Google isn't going to let you know anything they know about who owns the gmail account and the mover's informatiuon is all fake because all they want is the wire transfer code number. So that leaves me with the physical evidence.

The return address on the envelope is a company in Carbondale PA, the check is an account in a Suntrust Bank in Florida for a corporation in Baltimore MD and the 3 day priority mail shipping label shows the package was mailed from Myrtle Beach South Carolina.

My SIL is a deputy with the county sheriffs dept working in background investigations and might have some useful tools or techniques. I don't expect to nab this clown but, given the inconvenience he has already caused me I wouldn't mind stringing him along for a good while and yanking his chain. For one thing I'm pretty sure his fingerprints are all over this envelope and check and mail fraud is a federal crime after all.

Good luck! I hope something comes of it, but usually these guys are pretty slick and LE has other things to worry about. :dunno:

So I'm scratching my head here wondering, does this actually work? Are there really people out there stupid enough to follow these instructions?

Unfortunately it's usually the older people who can hardly afford to lose the money that fall for it

I recently put a $100 item for sale on CraigsList and shortly after got a text message from a lady who said they were moving and her husband was going to overnight a cashiers check to me to hold the merchandise so, as gullible and trusting as I am I gave her my address. About three days later I get an express mail check for $1,950 with instructions to cash it and wire transfer the excess to a mover in Georgia.

I ignore them and then get an email wondering why I have the money and have not responded? I respond that I just had surgery and can't deposit the check until next week figuring they will give up but I'm also entertaining the thought of making a little hobby of this because I do have a text message with a phone number, a gmail account, a name and address for the mover and physical evidence.

The text was through textnow.com so the number is fake and Google isn't going to let you know anything they know about who owns the gmail account and the mover's informatiuon is all fake because all they want is the wire transfer code number. So that leaves me with the physical evidence.

The return address on the envelope is a company in Carbondale PA, the check is an account in a Suntrust Bank in Florida for a corporation in Baltimore MD and the 3 day priority mail shipping label shows the package was mailed from Myrtle Beach South Carolina.

My SIL is a deputy with the county sheriffs dept working in background investigations and might have some useful tools or techniques. I don't expect to nab this clown but, given the inconvenience he has already caused me I wouldn't mind stringing him along for a good while and yanking his chain. For one thing I'm pretty sure his fingerprints are all over this envelope and check and mail fraud is a federal crime after all.

I think with the interstate aspect, the FBI and Post Master will like this as well.

Get rid of the fake money order ASAP. Shred it, turn it over to the authorities, or give it to your son in law, but get rid of it before someone thinks you are doing the forgeries.

Not sure about any of you.....

But I've made tons of gas money on this exchange..

It's simple....cash it...don't send the extra. Easy peasy.;)

Send 'em the excess, but be sure to deduct your $2000 handling fee...and btw, they still owe you $100.:D

If it was me, I'd walk it into my bank, tell the banker what was up, and ask if their bank had a program to deal with it. Most major banks now have a department specifically for dealing with these issues, and I bet they would love to have a live check.

Contact the post office. It's mail fraud. I have talked to Postal OIG and the Postmaster General about it. Since they want it sent to a CONus location, OIG will want to work the case.

Seriously. I'm not BSing. They. Eat this type of stuff up.

Contact the post office. It's mail fraud. I have talked to Postal OIG and the Postmaster General about it. Since they want it sent to a CONus location, OIG will want to work the case.

Tens of thousands of people across the country justify their jobs on checks like this.:lol:

Tens of thousands of people across the country justify their jobs on checks like this.:lol:

Like the cop who literally stopped my grandma at Western Union, who whole heartedly believed I was in a Mexican jail, from sending $4000 to a scammer? Those guys? Is that what you are talking about?

Or are you just spewing more anti cop, anti government BS like normal?

Like the cop who literally stopped my grandma at Western Union, who whole heartedly believed I was in a Mexican jail, from sending $4000 to a scammer? Those guys? Is that what you are talking about?

Or are you just spewing more anti cop, anti government BS like normal?

That's exactly who I'm talking about. I didn't say their job was unjustified, obviously not since this is a major problem, I say hand it over to them so they can earn their money, that's why they exist.

I already did, they just collect the information and file it. Especially in this case where I have not lost anything. The other two things I did was inform text now.com and Google that the phone number and gmail address were involved with mail fraud. Also contacted Suntrust bank informing them of the account number. I believe this is a real check and not a forgery, most likely stolen so it may even be an active account.

My guess is the scammer has given up and won't contact me again but if he does I'll just say I deposited the check and am waiting 7 to 10 business days for it to clear. If he demands his money after that I'll tell him there was a problem and he can retrieve his check from the USPS fraud investigation department. I'll even give him a phone number to call.

Hope he's not counting on this to pay his rent because by then we should be into February :rolleyes:

Hope they find out who it is. Usually they try and look for a common denominator and lump them all in one case. The FBI does the same. You can file a complaint on IC3.gov with them too.

Back