NA - Classic Cars

Hey it's a rental, supposed to tear it up. Didn't you see that Tom Cruise movie about NASCAR when two of 'em bang and raced each other? C'mon man. ;)

?????

What in the Sam Hell do people think they're trying to do when they pull the hood release? Wow, new levels of stupid.

Simple solution to that is to buy a Vette or something with a front-hinged hood. If they pull the hood latch going 100mph, it won't matter a bit. :)

Simple solution to that is to buy a Vette or something with a front-hinged hood. If they pull the hood latch going 100mph, it won't matter a bit. :)

Unless they're driving backwards, and I'm sure someone somewhere has tried it, and/or done it.

"Watch this"

You probably won the car because nobody else bought a ticket for the ugly thing. Sheesh as if they weren't bad enough stock, who ever did that half assed restomodding sure jacked it up worse.

Yeah, it's not exactly my cup of tea, either.

Mary says I need to grow a mullet in order to drive it. I told her she needs a Confederate battle flag, and daisy dukes short shorts if SHE wants to drive it.

My aim, at this point, is to fix it up, sell it, and then buy a nice, clean vintage Corvette.

If we get a vote, I vote for a C2 'Vette. They are a lot more fun to drive, and I can't come to an intersection without getting stares and compliments on even an average '66/'67 Vette. I see enough of the C3's (and they made so many) that most people don't pay them too much attention anymore. Half of the people (under age 50) who see C1 'Vettes don't know what it is anyway, plus they only have a mediocre V8 in the later years.

Yeah almost bought a '69 Vette 427/435hp in '73. Man that thing was a rocket ship, I was in my early 20s, and probably wouldn't be writing this if I had bought it.

Yeah almost bought a '69 Vette 427/435hp in '73. Man that thing was a rocket ship, I was in my early 20s, and probably wouldn't be writing this if I had bought it.

Well nostalgia aside, the high hp ratings and crappy suspensions/tires only ended up giving the 427 Vette roughly the same 1/4 mile and 0-60 times as a modern Honda Accord V6, lol. So it was a rocket ship back then, but they really didn't get appreciably faster until the C5 model in '97 (C4 ZR-1 notwithstanding)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No f'g way! An Accord outrunning a 1969 427/435? NFW!

No f'g way! An Accord outrunning a 1969 427/435? NFW!

Not outrunning, just has roughly the same specs (6sec 0-60, 13.8-14sec 1/4). The problem was that it was just so tough to put that big block torque to the ground with leaf springs and bias-ply tires. Now if we start talking about adding wider radials and upgraded suspension components, it becomes a different story.

Yes, tire and suspension technology has improved quite a bit since '69.

Power to weight ratio makes todays small cars feel a lot more sportier, plus after market computer changes.

This particular '69 did have wide tires, so maybe the owner added them, I dunno.

Power to weight ratio makes todays small cars feel a lot more sportier, plus after market computer changes.

Well, truth be told, the Accord weighs something like 3,200+lbs, and the '69 weighed something like 3,100, so they are fairly equal in weight, but the V6 only makes 278HP and the 427 made roughly 360HP net (435 gross).

You probably won the car because nobody else bought a ticket for the ugly thing. Sheesh as if they weren't bad enough stock, who ever did that half assed restomodding sure jacked it up worse.
Although I agree 100%, I have received four legitimate offers to buy it.

That's four more than I've ever received on my '52 Pontiac, which is a thousand times nicer and (IMHO) way cooler.

El Caminos, like tattoos and nose piercings, seem to have a cult following. I don't get it, but I'm gonna fix this thing up and ride the wave, man! ;)

Yeah, and the newer stuff typically has much more area under the torque curve, which gives them more lower-rpm grunt...something that may not show up in 0-60 or 1/4-mile stats, but is huge in everyday roll-on acceleration. Thanks go to more sophisticated engine management, direct injection, variable-volume intake systems and valvetrains that vary timing and sometimes lift. It's easy to get caught up in the peak number, which doesn't tell the whole story. And 8- and 10-speed automatics (and 7-speed manuals) can keep the engine in the meat of the powerband more effectively; less power loss too through a modern DCT manu-matic or today's more efficient conventional torque converters.

Modern cars with small, low-inertia turbos can often produce peak torque as low as 1900 rpm and maintain it through 5500 rpm or so,where even a Corvette LS3 (C6) is pretty lethargic at that lower engine speed.

That's four more than I've ever received on my '52 Pontiac, which is a thousand times nicer and (IMHO) way cooler.

El Caminos, like tattoos and nose piercings, seem to have a cult following. I don't get it, but I'm gonna fix this thing up and ride the wave, man! ;)

It doesn't surprise me I suppose. People go nuts over anything with an LS engine.

I prefer classic Buicks to anything.

It doesn't surprise me I suppose. People go nuts over anything with an LS engine.

I prefer classic Buicks to anything.

Nice Special!

Each to their own, I love Caminos! Had a '79 and an '87.

Back