NA - Classic Cars

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
Anyone into collecting old cars?

For some strange reason, I have got it in my head that I need to buy a car made in 1958 -- the year I was born. More specifically, it has to be a Pontiac, since that's what my dad drove throughout the 1950s, 60s, and 70s.

I've got my eye on one, but I feel like a rookie airplane buyer all over again. I need some advice on what to look for, how to spot problems (or good things), and what owning a nearly 60 - year-old car is really like.

Thanks!

Yeah I do that with old planes too, as well as cars. '58 Pontiac looked like the '58 Chevy except with more bling! :D

Get a magnet. Run it over the paint where you would expect to find rust. If it doesn't hold to the body, there is likely rust and bondo under the paint.

Jay I know a little about classics, I enjoy buying and restoring them. I need to learn how to enjoy selling them.
If you find something you are interested in send me a link and I'll give you my opinion or direct you to someone who can.

Budget? Like airplanes, a lot depends on the mission. Daily driver, monthly car show/cruise, just something pretty to look at? Will you compromise with imperfections?
Always look at the dip stick....sometimes it will show a bad head/gasket. Pristine oil is always a red flag for me (I almost got stuck with a boat that way...found out on the lake).
Look at the radiator support and associated sheet metal in the engine bay. I will tell stories of collisions or at least botched repairs.
Old cars leak....but excessive oil out of the differential or transmission may indicate the vehicle has been operated with improper lubrication.
Engine work comes relatively natural to me. Body work? Not so much. I would rather buy a car without an engine, than a car with a bad body/interior. I can have an engine installed in less than 6 hours...body work takes time, special equipment, special environment, or just a wad of cash.
Small maintenance items can become a big deal. I once bought a car(Ford Falcon) that had an exhaust leak...broke 3 of the exhaust studs off getting the manifold off. Had to take the head off to get the broken bolts off (6 hours, plus waiting for replacement head gasket to come in).

Anyone into collecting old cars?
I need some advice on what to look for, how to spot problems (or good things), and what owning a nearly 60 - year-old car is really like.

Thanks!
I have a nearly 70 year old car and it makes you appreciate the reliability of modern cars and at the same time appreciate the simplicity of classic cars.

Also it is usually cheaper to buy a classic already restored than buy a rough one and restore it, especially if you count your time.

Mechanical stuff... engines, transmissions, brakes, etc are going to be easy and relatively cheap to replace/repair so I wouldn't sweat that stuff so much. You do want as solid of a body and frame as possible though. Surface rust/rough paint is one thing if all the metal is solid but structural rust is a common and gigantic pain on anything old. Some of the unusually curved glass may be hard to find or expensive, also interior bits... knobs, trim, badges, and so on may be hard to find depending on what it is.

If one really needs another hole to pour money into, an old car fits the bill. The neatest are those that are the rarest, but the parts for those are also really rare. When I restored my 1951 International pickup, I didn't bother trying for 100% authenticity; just the appearance of it. I replaced the blown engine with a Ford 300 six and a Ford three-speed transmission and modified the International shifting linkage to work with it. I replaced the rusted-out brake master cylinder with a dual cylinder off a Dodge van and ran a dual system. I installed seat belts. I changed the 4.7:1 diff to a 3.73 diff from a newer International so I could cruise at speeds above 40 MPH. 12-volt everything. Original chassis and suspension and steering, had to dig around for usable steering parts. NAPA had king pins and bushings for newer Internationals that fit this one, since IHC was really slow to adopt new technologies and used the same stuff for decades on end. And I installed a Klaxon horn. Lots of fun.

Jay I know a little about classics, I enjoy buying and restoring them. I need to learn how to enjoy selling them.
If you find something you are interested in send me a link and I'll give you my opinion or direct you to someone who can.

Put me on the interested list if you ever decide to part with that Chevy truck. You did a good jo making that one look and perform real nice.

Wow, thanks, guys. I figured that there would be some other sick-in-the-head people (like me) on this board.

Here's what I'm thinking I want:
  • 1958 model Pontiac
  • Driveable but not perfect.
  • Basically a "parade car" -- something you pull out on sunny days only.
  • Maybe pick up VIP guests at the airport?
Poking around on the internet, it looks like you can get a decent, driveable '58 vintage Pontiac for less than $20K. I don't want to buy a perfect show car for a bazillion bucks -- I want something I can restore/improve/clean up/etc.

I've got my eye on one, but the seller is on a work assignment out of the country. We shall see how much luck I have buying a car from someone who is on the other side of the world.

Thanks! If you PM me your email address, I will send you one I'm looking at right now.

If anyone is looking for 2001-2004 GM 5.3L engines to use in hotrod projects, I just took delivery of several trucks that can provide that. Also have a few newer ones.

And @Jay Honeck, what you should really do is research what your hotel's namesake drove and have that as your daily island driver and "we'll come get you at the airport" car.

Wow, thanks, guys. I figured that there would be some other sick-in-the-head people (like me) on this board.

Here's what I'm thinking I want:
  • 1958 model Pontiac
  • Driveable but not perfect.
  • Basically a "parade car" -- something you pull out on sunny days only.
  • Maybe pick up VIP guests at the airport?
Poking around on the internet, it looks like you can get a decent, driveable '58 vintage Pontiac for less than $20K. I don't want to buy a perfect show car for a bazillion bucks -- I want something I can restore/improve/clean up/etc.

I've got my eye on one, but the seller is on a work assignment out of the country. We shall see how much luck I have buying a car from someone who is on the other side of the world.

Jay,
You might want to check out the Pontiac/Oakland club. They should have lots of resources for vintage Pontiacs, like part suppliers etc.

If anyone is looking for 2001-2004 GM 5.3L engines to use in hotrod projects, I just took delivery of several trucks that can provide that. Also have a few newer ones.

And @Jay Honeck, what you should really do is research what your hotel's namesake drove and have that as your daily island driver and "we'll come get you at the airport" car.

One thing I've noticed is that cars from the 1930s (like Amelia drove) are exponentially more expensive than cars from the 1950s (like my dad drove). ;)

If'n it weren't so far, I'd come visit in my Dad's 1934 Ford 5-window Coupe. But I got a feeling we'd might not get you out of the rumble seat because you're enjoying yourself too much.

One thing I've noticed is that cars from the 1930s (like Amelia drove) are exponentially more expensive than cars from the 1950s (like my dad drove). ;)

Not necessarily. Go to Hemming.com and look up what you can get from the 30's for $10,000 - $20,000, it's rather quite a lot of the mainstream brands. Then go look at what they have in 1958 Pontiacs, the price is eye watering. But, there are much less expensive '58 Pontiacs to be had.

The '50's car has two advantages, it can be driven in today's traffic without too much pain (might want to upgrade the front brakes), and Jay has a personal connection to a car of that era. The latter makes all the difference.

My dad and I are pretty big into classics. Give me a pm, happy to help and might even have something that you'd be interested in. IMG_2591.JPG IMG_2592.JPG IMG_2594.JPG IMG_2599.JPG IMG_2605.JPG IMG_2607 (1).JPG

Not necessarily. Go to Hemming.com and look up what you can get from the 30's for $10,000 - $20,000, it's rather quite a lot of the mainstream brands. Then go look at what they have in 1958 Pontiacs, the price is eye watering. But, there are much less expensive '58 Pontiacs to be had.

The '50's car has two advantages, it can be driven in today's traffic without too much pain (might want to upgrade the front brakes), and Jay has a personal connection to a car of that era. The latter makes all the difference.

The prices asked are just ALL OVER THE PLACE! I thought buying an airplane was bizarre, but classic cars seem to be even crazier.

But you're right -- the '58s are what I'm looking for -- although that's probably stupid of me.

Of course -- none of this is logical. Even less so than buying an airplane! lol

My dad and I are pretty big into classics. Give me a pm, happy to help and might even have something that you'd be interested in.

Holy crapola! You've got it BAD!

Any advice on what to look for? Got any '58s laying around? ;)

Holy crapola! You've got it BAD!

Any advice on what to look for? Got any '58s laying around? ;)

That might be a gray '58 vette. I was going to recommend a vette earlier in the thread, but it sounds like you are set on a Pontiac.

That might be a gray '58 vette. I was going to recommend a vette earlier in the thread, but it sounds like you are set on a Pontiac.

lol I'm prepared to have my mind changed.

I doubt I could afford a cherry '58 Vette anyway. Besides, I want something I can fix up!

What MG is that? My late father-in-law had a thing for old British cars, he owned a couple modern Mini's (now with his wife) and he has a '38 MG sitting in his brother's garage in NJ we're hoping to bring out to CO.

We do have it bad.

Our collection -
1928 Model A Truck
1929 Model A Roadster
1948 Woody Wagon
1954 Corvette
1953 MG TD
1955 Nomad Wagon
1955 Porsche 356 replica(my wife's fun car)
1955 Chevy truck resto mod
1957 Chevrolet Bel Air 283 hp fuelie
1957 Bel Air resto mod
1957 Ford E-bird
1958 MGA
1958 Corvette 290HP fuelie
1961 Corvette Big Brake 315 HP fuelie
1963 Corvette Split window coupe 360 HP fuelie
1964 Chevy Impala 425 hp 409
1964 Jaguar E-type
1965 Corvette 425 Hp 396 cu big block
1965 Shelby Cobra CSX 4000 550 HP
1966 Chevy Malibu Convertible
1967 Plymouth GTX 440 'Six Pack'
1967 Plymouth GTX Hemi
1967 Corvette Convertible 435 hp 427
1967 Shelby GT500
1967 Pontiac GTO 455 resto mod
1968 Corvette L89 Coupe
1970 Corvette 370hp LT1 convertible
1970 Dodge Charger Hemi 'Plum Crazy'
1970 Chevy Chevelle LS6 convertible
1971 Corvette LS5 454
1982 International Harvester Scout II
1993 Corvette ZR1
1993 Corvette Convertible 'Dealer Prep'
1996 Corvette
2003 Coupe and Convertible 'Dealer Prep'
2009 Corvette ZR1
2013 Corvette 60th Anniversary Convertible
2016 Corvette Z06

Our county is in the process of building a new airport that should be operational in 2018. We are already planning a fly-in and plan to have a little fun. :)

Put me on the interested list if you ever decide to part with that Chevy truck. You did a good jo making that one look and perform real nice.

Thanks Mike the 41 was a joy to drive, unfortunately its running the streets somewhere in the UK.

I should have listened to mom when she told me too be a chicken farmer. Where the hell did I go wrong

We do have it bad.

Our collection -
1928 Model A Truck
1929 Model A Roadster
1948 Woody Wagon
1954 Corvette
1953 MG TD
1955 Nomad Wagon
1955 Porsche 356 replica(my wife's fun car)
1955 Chevy truck resto mod
1957 Chevrolet Bel Air 283 hp fuelie
1957 Bel Air resto mod
1957 Ford E-bird
1958 MGA
1958 Corvette 290HP fuelie
1961 Corvette Big Brake 315 HP fuelie
1963 Corvette Split window coupe 360 HP fuelie
1964 Chevy Impala 425 hp 409
1964 Jaguar E-type
1965 Corvette 425 Hp 396 cu big block
1965 Shelby Cobra CSX 4000 550 HP
1966 Chevy Malibu Convertible
1967 Plymouth GTX 440 'Six Pack'
1967 Plymouth GTX Hemi
1967 Corvette Convertible 435 hp 427
1967 Shelby GT500
1967 Pontiac GTO 455 resto mod
1968 Corvette L89 Coupe
1970 Corvette 370hp LT1 convertible
1970 Dodge Charger Hemi 'Plum Crazy'
1970 Chevy Chevelle LS6 convertible
1971 Corvette LS5 454
1982 International Harvester Scout II
1993 Corvette ZR1
1993 Corvette Convertible 'Dealer Prep'
1996 Corvette
2003 Coupe and Convertible 'Dealer Prep'
2009 Corvette ZR1
2013 Corvette 60th Anniversary Convertible
2016 Corvette Z06

Our county is in the process of building a new airport that should be operational in 2018. We are already planning a fly-in and plan to have a little fun. :)

You win the classic car thread.
Awesome collection.

Egg business must be good......Yes I am jealous.
Here is my classic, 1974 super beetle with only 52k miles on it. Grandma gave it to me and literally only driven to church and the grocery store.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 26
I should have listened to mom when she told me too be a chicken farmer. Where the hell did I go wrong

Meh...It isn't any great magic. Really just 50 years of building a business and pouring everything you've got back into if for the first 40 of those years. Make a few good decisions, get a little lucky, hire great people, gut out the tough times. My parents lived very modestly for a very long time and most every penny went to growing the business. Compounded returns over a very long time span can be a good thing.

Cars have been the one indulgence through the years. We don't look at those as investments either. They all get driven except for the 'dealer prep' cars.

Oh, I was just kidding.
I didn't want to look like I was bragging because I may or may not have two 2015 Mitsubishi Qutlanders in my garage right now. 10 more years and those babies are all mine.

Thanks Mike the 41 was a joy to drive, unfortunately its running the streets somewhere in the UK.
Sounds like my dad. He built a really sweet '56 big window F100. Then eventually sold it to a guy in Australia.

Oh, I was just kidding.
I didn't want to look like I was bragging because I may or may not have two 2015 Mitsubishi Qutlanders in my garage right now. 10 more years and those babies are all mine.
I still think you shoulda gotten personalized plates, "MR 6PC" and "MRS 6PC"

Meh...It isn't any great magic. Really just 50 years of building a business and pouring everything you've got back into if for the first 40 of those years. Make a few good decisions, get a little lucky, hire great people, gut out the tough times. My parents lived very modestly for a very long time and most every penny went to growing the business. Compounded returns over a very long time span can be a good thing.

Cars have been the one indulgence through the years. We don't look at those as investments either. They all get driven except for the 'dealer prep' cars.

Of the two Plymouths, which do you like to drive better the 440-6 or 426?

I wish I had a classic car.... I do, I have a '66 Mustang Fastback, in need of restoration. Some day.... after child support is done.

I have a '65 coupe sitting in my backyard (an homage to my Arkansas roots but not up on blocks) right now that I'll restore after the twins' college education is over. I bought it around the corner from my house and I actually drove it about a mile before the engine decided it didn't like to run on varnish. I had to tow it home.

Of the two Plymouths, which do you like to drive better the 440-6 or 426?

The 440 isn't stock and was built for drag racing. It is scary fast. The elephants require a lot of TLC and tend to get driven gingerly as they are both original blocks cars, however the sound and power are incredible.

Back