[NA] Cell Phone Replacement

Mike Schneider

Pre-Flight
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
If my cell phone "dies", can I purchase a new phone and have it programed for my carrier and my number without my carrier knowing about it? I have a plan with lots of minutes that is no longer offered. My carrier says that I can purchase a new phone from them, but I will have to join a new plan that has about 1/3 less minutes. Thanks. - Mike

If my cell phone "dies", can I purchase a new phone and have it programed for my carrier and my number without my carrier knowing about it? I have a plan with lots of minutes that is no longer offered. My carrier says that I can purchase a new phone from them, but I will have to join a new plan that has about 1/3 less minutes. Thanks. - Mike

With a Cingular GSM phone you can buy your own phone and simply move the SIM card. You might have to call or visit a store to have the SIM and the phone "married," but that should not extend your commitment.

I've bought phones on eBay and had them activated on my plan several times. You'll also find brand new unlocked phones for sale online. You'll see that they cost $150-$200 more than what Cingular wants when you commit to a year or two of service.

You have to be careful a) that the phone is compatible with Cingular. A tri-band phone should work, and b) if you buy on eBay that you actually get the phone. As it gets close to 30 days, if the seller tells you his PC crashed and he lost the email and he needs more time, report the transaction to PayPal and eBay immediately.

Last edited:
Go to Phonescoop.com and check for available phones that will work on your carrier. Most of the time, you can buy an unlocked phone and simply install your SIM card. There are several good dealers on eBay. You can often buy an unlocked phone from a manufacturer. A regular dealer who may unlock it for a fee.

Mike is right for a GSM-based phone. Get an unlocked one (make sure it's really unlocked, some on EBay claim to be, but are not), and move the SIM chip. No one will know. Cingular & T-Mobile are the GSM carriers.

For Verizon, you can pick up a phone on EBay or otherwise, but you must make sure it's compatible with VZ. You can go onto their site and enter the new ESN... the site will ask you why you're changing (phone in for repairs is a good answer), and it will activate on the system within a few minutes.

I have no idea how Sprint or Nextel handle it.

More important, IMHO, than the lesser minutes on the plan is the fact that you're off of contract, meaning you can bolt anytime. The reason the carriers want you to sign a new contract with a new phone is just that: they know they've got you, and they want to keep you on a contract so you don't leave. Such contracts are very one-sided, and ought to be illegal. Again, IMHO.

Your carrier is also trying to pull a fast one. If you have had your phone 2 years you can get an upgraded phone and sign a 2 year extension. You can also purchase one from them at full price and not sign an extension. Unlocked phones are also a viable option as long as the brand/model is supported by your carrier.

Re: Thanks!

Thanks, Mike, Ken, and Bill. You guys are amazing! - Mike

Uh before you make a phone purchase.. let us know what service you have. If you have Cingular vs T mobile they use different bands..

Re: Thanks!

Uh before you make a phone purchase.. let us know what service you have. If you have Cingular vs T mobile they use different bands..

Get a quad band GSM phone. Problem solved.

And a quad band will work in other countries, too, if your carrier offers international roaming. BTDT, got the phone.

Verizon's never given me a problem when I've switched phones, just required that when I switched to my Treo 700p that I included a data plan on my account. No big deal. I think you'll be fine as long as you've got a phone that works for the service.

Back