[NA]Cell phone hijinks

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
How does this service force a call to go immediately to the recip's cellphone VM?

https://www.slydial.com/

I've tried it from my phone to my wife's (It's free with ads) and it works fine.

Apparently it's for people who desire one-way communication.
You don't want to get into a long convo with someone (or just don't want to talk to them) so you use slydial and your call goes straight to their VM.

So, debate the reasonableness or usefulness of the tool, yes - but I am asking about the tech of it; how does it not ring the phone; how does every call go straight to VM??

No idea if this is the solution. But I have previously programmed voice broadcast messages.
In one case we called the master vmail for each major carrier, went through the menus and recorded the message.
For the other case, a well connected exec got us an API to call each major carrier to leave the message.

Tim

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

How does this service force a call to go immediately to the recip's cellphone VM?

https://www.slydial.com/

I've tried it from my phone to my wife's (It's free with ads) and it works fine.

Apparently it's for people who desire one-way communication.
You don't want to get into a long convo with someone (or just don't want to talk to them) so you use slydial and your call goes straight to their VM.

So, debate the reasonableness or usefulness of the tool, yes - but I am asking about the tech of it; how does it not ring the phone; how does every call go straight to VM??
Who hears the ads? The "sender", or the recipient? It sounds like a way to get around telemarketing laws.

Most carriers publish a direct number to their voicemail systems. Then you just enter the number you want to leave a message for.

Harder to find these days since spammers will take advantage of it. Surprised more don’t.

These guys could be using those or a couple other methods but they’re assuredly selling your number to the spammers to pay for it all.

Nothing is free. The ads aren’t the only revenue source, I’m sure.

And if they’re in the middle of the call they’re probably also recording the whole thing. And probably speech to texting all of it for juicy stuff. Pass along those to whomever wants to know. Who knows.

Dialing through any third party system is always a bad idea. The carriers already are legally wiretapping it all, but adding an additional private wiretap along the way is just dumb.

If I don’t want to talk, I just text.

Most company voice mail systems will also have a direct dial number. Usually used to check voice mail from outside by users but more often than not, if you call it and don’t enter an extension and password the menu will revert to asking for an extension to leave a message for.

Generally it’s considered incorrect (but very common) mis-programming and an entry point for bad actors to leave messages for executives and such directly, who usually have human assistants filtering all calls. Great way to practice some social engineering.

You had a lovely lunch at the same golf club they attend and have been meaning to contact them about that thing you both discussed in passing a couple weeks ago... of course. :) Or whatever.

All sorts of fun to be had with badly programmed PBX systems. In ancient times most of these voice mail numbers would also allow dueling back out. Ostensibly a way for road warriors to charge long distance calls to the company from a single pay phone call or hotel room call to local numbers, the phone hacks quickly figured them out and enjoyed free long distance.

Not such a big deal in the age of free domestic LD but you still see people losing money to hacks doing international calling. LOL.

I’d stay away from stuff like this really. No idea why they’re really running it.

To answer the question, I suspect they divine which underlying mobile service the destination number is and there are access points for the voice mail that don't involve actually calling the number. For example, if I know the person has an ATT phone, I can call 888-288-8893 (you need an ATT account yourself).

Back