NA CatV or CatVI

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Cables and connectors ie keystones.
Very small business; very low use now, or in future...ie not a lot of data flowing. Max 100'.

Is there any reason CatV won't do the job just fine?

Cat 5 will work excellent for your use. 300 foot run is where you are pushing it. 100ft will transmit as much as you can throw at it in a small office.

And you can run gigabit ethernet over Cat5. Save your money.

Are there any RJ45 (CatV) keystone jacks* that are narrow enough to fit 4 or 6 to a faceplate? Seems like many say "too narrow for side-by-side" installation.
Also, I can buy catVI jacks, even if I use catV cable, right?

*at $1@ when buying 25; not the $5@ !

Yes, I have a 4-gang cat 6 wall plate in my office at work.

Do at least Cat 5e. As long as you use Cat 5e hardware (or better) you'll be fine, so Cat 6 jacks are no problem.

Cables and connectors ie keystones.
Very small business; very low use now, or in future...ie not a lot of data flowing. Max 100'.

Is there any reason CatV won't do the job just fine?

CatV will do all you need. We ran into problems with CatVI on a boat once because it doesn't like tight turns.

Are there any RJ45 (CatV) keystone jacks* that are narrow enough to fit 4 or 6 to a faceplate? Seems like many say "too narrow for side-by-side" installation.

The jacks themselves are pretty standardized, and four-port flush-mount boxes are pricey (as well as being tedious to install). But if they don't need to be flush to the wall, four-port surface-mount boxes can be had dirt-cheap on eBay, Amazon, etc. The jacks are cheap, too, if you buy them by the bag.

Also, I can buy catVI jacks, even if I use catV cable, right?

You can, although I don't know why you'd want to spend the extra money for Cat6 jacks if you're using Cat5e cable.

*at $1@ when buying 25; not the $5@ !

I haven't bought that sort of thing in a while, but if you shop around and buy them by the bag, I don't think you'd pay much more than that. I paid well under $1.00 each for them several years ago, but I usually bought several hundred at a time. They don't spoil.

Rich

Actually, there may (or may not) be a code issue if you use Cat6 jacks with Cat5e cable. One of the municipalities I worked in (I forget which one) specifically forbade that. If the jacks were marked "Cat6," then the wiring had to be Cat6. Their reasoning was that the markings should reflect the capabilities of the circuit, not just the jacks.

Such a requirement might be part of the national code by now, too. I've been out of that end of things for a while.

Rich

Last edited:
Back