NA - Car Wax

Scott@KTYR

Pattern Altitude
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Scott@KTYR
I am waxing my car this weekend and want your input on which brand of car wax last longer?

This is what I can find at the local Walmart.
Megular's
Turtle
NuFinish
Mothers

They all suck. Never had ANY wax last longer than a couple months even though those such as NuFinish claim once a year. But then again I live in Arizona. Wax melts off here in the summer.

They all suck. Never had ANY wax last longer than a couple months even though those such as NuFinish claim once a year. But then again I live in Arizona. Wax melts off here in the summer.

Depends on the goals:

Functional: NuFinish applied quarterly
Really nice: A 100% carnauba like P21S applied monthly

NuFinish is nice but you have to re wax more often then they recommend.

Collinite 845 or 476 outlast any wax I've tested, and they have a huge following in the auto detailing world. If you want something easy to use that will last 3-4 months CarPro Reload is a spray sealant that will do the job.

I use a polymer wax and it easily lasts a year, if not more. I think I've been using NuFinish, but I think the polymer waxes are all roughly equivalent. Carnuba wax sucks, doesn't last very long at all.

You're not gonna get "good" wax at Walmart. You need to find a local "car shop" that sells good stuff, like something from Chemical Guys, Jescar or Griots. Amazon also sells most of that stuff.

I’ve written some very lengthy posts on detailing. You can probably search the forum and find them if your interested.

To answer your question...those are all consumer grade, but if I were to pick one it would likely be Meguiars. NuFinish and Turtle Wax would be at the bottom of the barrel.

Carnauba waxes are generally not meant to last. It is still a popular choice for enthusiasts (car collectors, etc) as it created a rich, warm glow on the paint that you don’t necessarily get with sealants. ONE exception to this is Collinite 845 which is my go to wax. It is what I recommend to everyone. It’s actually a Carnauba wax, but it is meant to last as long as a sealant (and it will). In my opinion it is the longest lasting wax out there. The only thing better is a paint coating (nano ceramic).

Sealants will last longer and with the exception of Collinite 845, a sealant would be my suggestion for anyone with a daily driver. They provide a more glossy/slick appearance.

The best option is a paint coating. These are usually resin or quartz based. These will truly last you a year. Anyone telling you they are getting a year out any wax/sealant either lives in a very mild climate or their vehicle is a garage Queen. Period. Paint coatings really will give you that type of longevity though. This is the fastest developing area within the detailing world and it’s hard to keep up with all the new product out. Anything on autogeek is good stuff. I personally have McKee’s Paint Coating which is great. There are many other good choices however.

Here are a list of some nice waxes/sealants/paint coatings:

Wax:
- Collinite 845
- Griots (they have many options for sealants/waxes)
- Menzerna Powerlock (now Jescar)
- HD Speed (this is an AIO - polish/wax - actually very good stuff for how cheap it is)
- HD Poxy
- Pinnacle Liquid Souveran (Carnauba - more of a show wax)
- Pinnacle Black Label
- Blackfire Paint Sealant
- P21S (Carnauba)
- Wolfgang Deep Gloss
- Klasse Sealant

There are a ton of paint coatings out right now. I'd have to do a little research to update myself on the best choices right now.

Hope that helps. I miss detailing and wish I had the time for it now a days.

I use a polymer wax and it easily lasts a year, if not more. I think I've been using NuFinish, but I think the polymer waxes are all roughly equivalent. Carnuba wax sucks, doesn't last very long at all.

With all due respect, Carnauba wax does not suck. In general, yes Carnauba does not last as long as a sealant. There are exceptions to this however, such as Collinite 845, which is actually a Carnauba. It is the longest lasting wax I have ever used. The only thing better is a paint coating. I have never seen any wax/sealant last a year (and NuFinish lasting a year? I wouldn't wish NuFinish upon anyone lolol). Your more likely to get 2 months - 6 months depending on what your using. I suppose it is possible if you live in a very mild climate or if your vehicle is a garage queen. Paint coatings will indeed last this long.

Last edited:
Collinite 845 or 476 outlast any wax I've tested, and they have a huge following in the auto detailing world. If you want something easy to use that will last 3-4 months CarPro Reload is a spray sealant that will do the job.

Agreed. CarPro makes good product. I use their Iron X and Hydro 2. Not cheap, but good products.

You're not gonna get "good" wax at Walmart. You need to find a local "car shop" that sells good stuff, like something from Chemical Guys, Jescar or Griots. Amazon also sells most of that stuff.

Agreed. Although IMHO Chemical Guys is "meh". They have some good products and some that are not so great. They seem to spend a lot of time on their cool looking bottles. They're Honeydew Snow Foam is good stuff though. Overall, I think their are better options than Chemical Guys, but they do make some good product.

Agreed. Although IMHO Chemical Guys is "meh". They have some good products and some that are not so great. They seem to spend a lot of time on their cool looking bottles. They're Honeydew Snow Foam is good stuff though. Overall, I think their are better options than Chemical Guys, but they do make some good product.

Yeah, some of the Chemical Guys stuff is kind of the "low end" of the "high end" stuff, but it's still miles better than what you're going to get from Walmart. I just used the Snow Foam for the first time this past weekend, was really pleased (once I got the mix right).

Carnauba waxes are generally not meant to last. It is still a popular choice for enthusiasts (car collectors, etc) as it created a rich, warm glow on the paint that you don’t necessarily get with sealants.

With all due respect, Carnauba wax does not suck. In general, yes Carnauba does not last as long as a sealant.

On a clean, pristine car, nothing IMHO looks better than a good 100% carnauba paste wax. It just looks fabulous. Yes, it only lasts 3-4 weeks on a daily driver, but on a fun toy car that you want to look nice, carbauba is it.

None of the above, just use a spray detailer.
MeguiarsSprayDetailers.jpg

No matter WHAT you use, it will look like hell when you get back home.

I suppose it is possible if you live in a very mild climate or if your vehicle is a garage queen. Paint coatings will indeed last this long.
Actually, that's pretty reasonable. My convertible comes out once a week most of the time, since I walk to work. To be honest, I don't even need it, but Mrs. Steingar pitched a fit when I told her I wanted to go car-less. She was afraid I might need hers when she wanted to go somewhere.

Being a detailer I'd certainly take your suggestion over mine. As far as Carnuba wax, I recall a time when that's all you could get, and it did't last for squat. Did make the car look nice though. To be honest, the best shine I've ever seen on anything came from a wax sold by Plane Perfect, who often advertise on this very site. I don't know how it works on car paint, nor do I know if there are other waxes that work better on airplane paint. But boy howdy does it give a shine. My airplane flies about 50 hours a year, and at the end its still shiny and water repellant.

I am always surprised with how well the spray quick detail, like the Turtle Wax one, works. Quick light mist, a proper towel, and in about 20-30 minutes you can get a beautiful shine going. When I used to commute to work daily in Boston and had to contend with the weather this was my general "go-to" as it was a quick thing to do once a week, good for a Sunday afternoon.. and I wouldn't get all bent out of shape from the snow / sand / sleet / etc. since my investment was only about 20-30 minutes and a few bucks on the spray

For tires?
Aerosol foam or the gel with the sponge? Griots make a tire gel that works great.. it is not as shiny as what you may get from a spray can... BUT, it lasts a crazy long time. The spray can tire stuff gives you that soaking wet mega shine look, but it's gone after a few days. The gel? Even in Boston I would get a solid 2 weeks out of it and with a sponge applicator you can be more precise with it

I just don't have the patience to wax my car. It gets "waxed" when I take it through the car wash on a quarterly or less basis.

None of the above, just use a spray detailer.
MeguiarsSprayDetailers.jpg

No matter WHAT you use, it will look like hell when you get back home.

A spray detailer is NOT meant to be a replacement for a wax. A spray detailer does not offer paint protection. It is to be used to keep your waxed/sealed surface clean.

Actually, that's pretty reasonable. My convertible comes out once a week most of the time, since I walk to work. To be honest, I don't even need it, but Mrs. Steingar pitched a fit when I told her I wanted to go car-less. She was afraid I might need hers when she wanted to go somewhere.

Being a detailer I'd certainly take your suggestion over mine. As far as Carnuba wax, I recall a time when that's all you could get, and it did't last for squat. Did make the car look nice though. To be honest, the best shine I've ever seen on anything came from a wax sold by Plane Perfect, who often advertise on this very site. I don't know how it works on car paint, nor do I know if there are other waxes that work better on airplane paint. But boy howdy does it give a shine. My airplane flies about 50 hours a year, and at the end its still shiny and water repellant.

Your correct that a lot of Carnuaba's are not meant to last. Like I said, they are usually more of a "show car shine" type of wax. Plane Perfect makes nice stuff. I just bought their detailing kit. Haven't tried their sealant yet though.

On a clean, pristine car, nothing IMHO looks better than a good 100% carnauba paste wax. It just looks fabulous. Yes, it only lasts 3-4 weeks on a daily driver, but on a fun toy car that you want to look nice, carbauba is it.

Agreed.

Your correct that a lot of Carnuaba's are not meant to last. Like I said, they are usually more of a "show car shine" type of wax. Plane Perfect makes nice stuff. I just bought their detailing kit. Haven't tried their sealant yet though.
Like I said, I've never seen a shine like that on anything. I really like their products, they keep my airplane clean and spanky.

Collinite 845 Insulator Wax. Easy to apply and lasts well. Also increases the dielectric constant of your vehicle.

Collinite 845 Insulator Wax. Easy to apply and lasts well. Also increases the dielectric constant of your vehicle.
I live in lighting country. Sounds useful...

Not true whatsoever.

Um yes it is true and it is what anyone who knows anything about detailing will tell you. There are spray on products now that do provide some level of protection. Your quick detailing spray is not one of them. It does not provide the protection that a true coat of wax will. They are meant to be used in conjunction with a coat of wax.

The only product you have shown that may provide some level or protection (for maybe a week ha) is the Meguiars #34. Even then it not meant as a stand-alone product.

Last edited:
THANKS TO ALL for the great info.
I will waxing on Saturday if the weather holds. No Rain!!!

Um yes it is true and it is what anyone who knows anything about detailing will tell you. There are spray on products now that do provide some level of protection. Your quick detailing spray is not one of them. It does not provide the protection that a true coat of wax will. They are meant to be used in conjunction with a coat of wax.

The only product you have shown that may provide some level or protection (for maybe a week ha) is the Meguiars #34. Even then it not meant as a stand-alone product.

I've got some of the Griot's Garage "Speed Shine," which is a nice (albeit expensive) quick detailer with a little bit of wax in it to help with a wax job upkeep (use between waxes). I guess if you applied a LOT of the quick detailer, probably over the course of several coats, it would provide a "wax" like protection, but that's certainly not what it's meant for.

Does anyone know what kind of wax they use at those primeshine places that you drive through and they squirts all those pretty colors on your car.
Is it worth the extra 2 bucks??

I've got some of the Griot's Garage "Speed Shine," which is a nice (albeit expensive) quick detailer with a little bit of wax in it to help with a wax job upkeep (use between waxes). I guess if you applied a LOT of the quick detailer, probably over the course of several coats, it would provide a "wax" like protection, but that's certainly not what it's meant for.

You hit the nail on the head. It’s for wax “upkeep”

I used to keep cars and trucks shiny. Dad used to detail everything he owned monthly.

Now I live on a dirt road and get to spend the time on something else.

I’ll toss some Collinite on one or two of the vehicles once a summer and that’s about it.

No point to doing much of anything else.

When the mud is stuck in the wheel wells, I’ll go through the high pressure wash. :)

I used to keep cars and trucks shiny. Dad used to detail everything he owned monthly.

I’ll toss some Collinite on one or two of the vehicles once a summer and that’s about it.

When the mud is stuck in the wheel wells, I’ll go through the high pressure wash. :)

That is how I feel. I think the garage has a larger affect than the wax does. Don't get me wrong, I love a highly spit shined ride, but environmental factors tend to outweigh the sunscreen you apply.

He’s right... spray wax is just a booster to rejuvenate/enhance the wax that is already on the car.

I usually use sealant instead of wax, because it lasts a lot longer.

Ktup to the rescue

FWIW I don’t keep my truck detailed like I used to. Simply because I don’t have the time to spend an entire day (or two) detailing it anymore. I miss having a pristine truck though. I may resort to paying a mobile detailer to come out and detail it from time to time.

Changing this topic up to wax for planes. I remember using a great produce called Seal-A-Plane.

I googled it and nothing came up. Anyone know this produce and what happened to it.

FWIW I don’t keep my truck detailed like I used to. Simply because I don’t have the time to spend an entire day (or two) detailing it anymore. I miss having a pristine truck though. I may resort to paying a mobile detailer to come out and detail it from time to time.

Know what C, I don't believe anything you've said in this thread but I invite you to prove me wrong at your convenience. Just bring your superior products and know- how down to Tucson and I'll even let you convince me on my plane.

:)

Back