[NA]Car tire pressure[NA]

I agree with the 2-3 psi higher than the doorpost says.

But what are "winter tires"?

hankooks.jpg

Hankook Winter I-Pike RS W419 after three seasons and 15,457 miles. That's pretty amazing for winter tires. At this rate, they'll age out before they wear out.

Rich

In Europe, there is a cutoff date for Summer tires and you will get a ticket and a stiff fine if you are caught without Winter tires. Somewhere around 1 October, I think...

In Europe, there is a cutoff date for Summer tires and you will get a ticket and a stiff fine if you are caught without Winter tires. Somewhere around 1 October, I think...

Only some countries(and even some regions) in Europe. And most all season tires (with M&S symbol) would qualify

The rule of thumb is October to Easter is winter tire season. I need to make an appointment to change mine over.

Only some countries(and even some regions) in Europe. And most all season tires (with M&S symbol) would qualify
Germany is one of those countries. I am told the insurance will flat out refuse to cover an accident if I have one during winter tire season without my winter tires on. And yet we rarely get below freezing here. Go figure.

Germany is one of those countries. I am told the insurance will flat out refuse to cover an accident if I have one during winter tire season without my winter tires on. And yet we rarely get below freezing here. Go figure.

Not according to couple of sites i checked. This is one of them.
https://www.uniroyal-tyres.com/car/tyre-guide/winter-care/winter-tyres-mandatory

"Regulations brought in in 2010 require all passenger cars and motorbikes to be fitted with winter tyres or all season tyres on all axles in wintry conditions. Snow chains should be carried."

I am unclear on what you atre contradicting me on. Yes you can have all season tires too. Never said you couldn’t.

I guess I was trying to make a distinction between all-season and winter. " I am told the insurance will flat out refuse to cover an accident if I have one during winter tire season without my winter tires on. "

Here in MD, in wintry conditions you are required to have M&S tires(winter or all-season) as well. So, seems like it's not any different.

Back