NA: car suggestions for my mom

Man, $7-10k is shopping in the bargain basement. Hard to find anything recent or under 100kmi in that price segment.

I’m not scared of 100000, even 150000 on the right car, she’s drives about 3k a year... I’d love to find a salesman’s car, newer but too many miles for its age.

I guess bargain basement is where I like residing with cars anyway. I’ve not spent over 10k on a car since I was 22... lol. I hate cars, a necessary evil in my book, every buck spent on the car can’t be spent with my Airplane mechanic taking care of my love, or buying Avgas :)

Last two Saab 9-3s I’ve had were $5k and $4K, an 06 and 07, took first one to 250k, replaced her the next day with the 07... body is galvanized, so they don’t rot like others, and even at 12 years old I’ve been told “is that you with the beemer, you left your window down”. It still looks great... but yes one needs to know there will be some repairs, or more accurately maintenance- ball joints, bearings and the like are givens but easily done at home and very reasonably if you order the parts online...

Any car in that price range will have significant mileage and will require repairs from time to time.

that’s just not true. Here a 2009 Honda Fit with 13k on the odometer being sold by a dealership for $10k. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/789870408/overview/

You can find the Toyota Yaris, Chevy Sonic, and Nissan Versa for similar prices with similar mileage (I’m sure there are others as well) Find a private seller and you can make out even better.

These cars may not be what everyone wants. And the OP has stated they’re not what he’s looking for. But they exist.

Last edited:
Nah, the Nissan Sentra can be had with 50k miles for under $10k. In fact, that would be my recommendation.

I think I'd want a frail 84yr old in something more substantial than a Sentra, but YMMV.

I think I'd want a frail 84yr old in something more substantial than a Sentra, but YMMV.

A T-bone collision in a Sentra or Fit may not have ended all that well.

Sheesh, you two. I'll link the crash test ratings for the '07 Lucerne and a current generation Sentra.

https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2017-Nissan-Sentra/safety-ratings/

https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2007-Buick-Lucerne/safety-ratings/

The Nissan appears to have been more thoroughly tested and did well, if not better. Of course it may be comparing apples and anvils, crash test procedures and tech 10 years apart might not be as comparable as I'm relying on to make this point.

I do think in today's market, a boring, gas sipping sedan can't underperform in the crash test, the company would have to kill it and build something better, something competitive with other boring sedans.

Sheesh, you two. I'll link the crash test ratings for the '07 Lucerne and a current generation Sentra.

I am not suggesting to buy another '07 Lucerne. I am suggesting to replace the '07 Lucerne, that apparently served her well, with something substantial, like a semi-current model Buick.

There have been definite advances in crash safety. Not only better (and more) airbags, also the use of high tensile steel in critical portions of the body. I have been on a 'cut job' that involved two Nissan Rogues that met each other in a 40% offset crash. New car won.

Rather than 'ratings', that can be manipulated by how you set the criteria, I prefer to look at actual loss data. IIHS compiles those.

This is the risk of dying in a car (2011-2014 models): overall / multi / single / rollover.

Buick Lacrosse 2WD 25 / 11 / 14 / 3
Buick Regal 2WD 40 / 21 / 19 / 9
Nissan Sentra 72 / 45 / 25 / 9

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/driver-death-rates-by-make-and-model

Also, keep in mind that 'geriatric trauma' is quite different from trauma in a young person or crash test dummy. A few broken ribs can be life-threatening to a 86 year old when they are more of a painful nuisance for a young person.

Have her test-drive a Kia Soul. My elderly parents like that it's easy to get in and out of, that it has plenty of room in the rear for adult pax to be comfortable, and that it has a vaguely retro appearance. They also have good safety ratings and reliability histories, and a great warranty.

Rich

Have her test-drive a Kia Soul. My elderly parents like that it's easy to get in and out of, that it has plenty of room in the rear for adult pax to be comfortable, and that it has a vaguely retro appearance. They also have good safety ratings and reliability histories, and a great warranty.

Rich

You can also get them with all the electronic flim-flam, keyless ignition etc. Not cheap though. I provide a car for my 75 year old mother in law and was looking into replacing her Jetta with a Soul. If you want things like pleather seats (a must with my kids), you have to go to the higher trim levels and pretty soon you are looking at real money.

You can also get them with all the electronic flim-flam, keyless ignition etc. Not cheap though. I provide a car for my 75 year old mother in law and was looking into replacing her Jetta with a Soul. If you want things like pleather seats (a must with my kids), you have to go to the higher trim levels and pretty soon you are looking at real money.

True, but I wonder how many older drivers care about that stuff. The AT Base model comes pretty well-equipped (it's actually amazingly well-equipped for a base model). How many people in their 70's and 80's would even know how to use the electronic gadgets?

Then again, if the driver is 84, she probably can drive stick. She may actually prefer a manual. The MT's are harder for dealerships to move and tend to be dirt cheap this time of the year.

Rich

I am not suggesting to buy another '07 Lucerne. I am suggesting to replace the '07 Lucerne, that apparently served her well, with something substantial, like a semi-current model Buick.

There have been definite advances in crash safety. Not only better (and more) airbags, also the use of high tensile steel in critical portions of the body. I have been on a 'cut job' that involved two Nissan Rogues that met each other in a 40% offset crash. New car won.

Rather than 'ratings', that can be manipulated by how you set the criteria, I prefer to look at actual loss data. IIHS compiles those.

This is the risk of dying in a car (2011-2014 models): overall / multi / single / rollover.

Also, keep in mind that 'geriatric trauma' is quite different from trauma in a young person or crash test dummy. A few broken ribs can be life-threatening to a 86 year old when they are more of a painful nuisance for a young person.

Edit: disregard this post, I see that they are deaths per X amount of cars. What I wrote below is wrong.

25 and 40 against 72 deaths. But doesn't Nissan sell about 7 times the amount of cars that Buick does? Unless those numbers are a representation of deaths per X amount of cars sold, then Nissan is clearly safer. I don't know if they are.

I'm genuinely asking if you already know the answer to this, I can dig deeper and research further, but it would have to wait until later in the day.

Edit: disregard this post, I see that they are deaths per X amount of cars. What I wrote below is wrong.

Those are rates, iirc per million cars. For some models, IIHS has insufficient data. e.g. the rate for the Volvo 245 and rollover crashes was '0' for many years.

https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2017-Nissan-Sentra/safety-ratings/

https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2007-Buick-Lucerne/safety-ratings/

The Nissan appears to have been more thoroughly tested and did well, if not better. Of course it may be comparing apples and anvils, crash test procedures and tech 10 years apart might not be as comparable as I'm relying on to make this point.

I do think in today's market, a boring, gas sipping sedan can't underperform in the crash test, the company would have to kill it and build something better, something competitive with other boring sedans.

Those are rates, iirc per million cars. For some models, IIHS has insufficient data. e.g. the rate for the Volvo 245 and rollover crashes was '0' for many years.

Also remember that crash test ratings can only be compared within that class of car. A sub-compact with an excellent rating may not fare as well as a full size with an average rating. Sadly, physics always wins. F=ma, the one with more mass imparts more F on the other.

We have a new '19 Civic sedan, I was rear ended on the interstate about a month ago. The traffic came to a stop and I had no where to go. Just as I came to a stop I was hit in the rear by a clueless cell phone talking teen doing about 60mph. Luckly it was also a Civic that hit me, but still, it was one hell of a whallop. The design of modern cars worked for us as we both walked away. I ended up having a headache for about 10 days, but that passed and I've showed no other signs of injury. Her car was totaled, our new Civic had $9k of damage, and of course the insurance companies would not total it. It has since been repaired and seems to be good.

The point of the long story, is even though I was hit by a car of equal mass, it was one HELL of a shot. It was quite violent being hit by a 60mph car. I shudder to think what would have happened had a Tahoe, or even worse, and F-250 or the like had hit me. I know I wouldn't have walked away, that's for sure. We'll keep the Civic for now, but next time it's at least a mid-sized for us. No more compacts!

The EJ22 didn’t have those issues, you’re thinking a 25

But maybe you’re right and all of the industry has it wrong, personally I wouldn’t want to touch a Audi/mbz/bwm/caddy/porsh out of warranty shy of some rare vintage stuff. But to each their own, I’d be game for dealing with all that for a R8 or a old legit ralley car with some provenance :)

I took my Mini to a garage that specialized in German cars: Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, VW, BMW (and Mini-BMW built). When I was ready to get rid of the Mini (when my last extended warranty was canceled:the aggregate value of the repairs exceeded the value of the car) I asked about what I should look at next (used). After 5 years of Mini service, the folks at the garage said "I'd never own any of the cars we service without an extended warranty." So I bought a Nissan and haven't looked back. I do recommend those folks to anyone with a car they support, they didi excellent work and great customer service.

Also remember that crash test ratings can only be compared within that class of car. A sub-compact with an excellent rating may not fare as well as a full size with an average rating. Sadly, physics always wins. F=ma, the one with more mass imparts more F on the other.

We have a new '19 Civic sedan, I was rear ended on the interstate about a month ago. The traffic came to a stop and I had no where to go. Just as I came to a stop I was hit in the rear by a clueless cell phone talking teen doing about 60mph. Luckly it was also a Civic that hit me, but still, it was one hell of a whallop. The design of modern cars worked for us as we both walked away. I ended up having a headache for about 10 days, but that passed and I've showed no other signs of injury. Her car was totaled, our new Civic had $9k of damage, and of course the insurance companies would not total it. It has since been repaired and seems to be good.

The point of the long story, is even though I was hit by a car of equal mass, it was one HELL of a shot. It was quite violent being hit by a 60mph car. I shudder to think what would have happened had a Tahoe, or even worse, and F-250 or the like had hit me. I know I wouldn't have walked away, that's for sure. We'll keep the Civic for now, but next time it's at least a mid-sized for us. No more compacts!

FYI 2019 Civic is a mid-size.

EDIT: adding some data:
EPA Interior volume of 2019 Civic sedan is 112 cu ft: https://www.edmunds.com/honda/civic/2019/features-specs/

EPA Vehicle size class chart:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_size_class#EPA

Last edited:
My parents had two Avalons and were very happy with them. It was the first car my dad ever owned that was not rear wheel drive. He liked the big Ford/Mercury stuff best. The cars were quite reliable and, for them, comfortable. Also, by their personal experience, quite crash worthy. (At least we convince my dad to stop driving after that.) They are hard to find reasonable priced at least here in Central Florida.

FYI 2019 Civic is a mid-size.

I suppose it is as new Civics are larger than the original Accords. Still, I tend to think of Civic/Sentra/Corolla as compact and still think of Accord/Camry/Fusion as mid-sized. Some of those are now probably considered full sized these days. No matter, a Civic isn't going to do well against a full size truck/SUV.

I know someone who was a star salesman at a dealer since he could talk most people into buying an extended warranty. The dealers make a huge profit off of those folks, but read the fine print. The warranty often covers things like drive train, etc. that don't often go wrong. When is the last time you had you driveshaft replaced ( no pun intended)?

For your Mom I have a little Mercedes E 320 that I like pretty well. If she is mostly one person or two its good, is a little small for four. Its automatic 4 wheel drive when needed. I paid $7500 with 110,000 miles on it, it looked like new until someone backed into me. My Son has a BMW and it seems very complicated, fast though.

Last edited:
I know someone who was a star salesman at a dealer since he could talk most people into buying an extended warranty. The dealers make a huge profit off of those folks, but read the fine print. The warranty often covers things like drive train, etc. that don't often go wrong. When is the last time you had you driveshaft replaced ( no pun intended)?

"Drivetrain" includes engine, transmission. Possibly some other things: driveshaft(if you have it), differential and axles?

However, you do need to read fine print. Many warranties will not cover covered items that failed due to failure in an uncovered item. Say your cooling hose is not covered. It fails, causes overheated and blown engine. You are screwed if they trace it to that hose. Also, aftermarket warranties are typically inclusive warranties. They cover what they say they cover and nothing else.

I bought one aftermarket warranty years ago. Not from dealer. It was for a E39 M5. I think it was about $3000. Had the car for about 75Kmi(35-110). Best money I ever spent on the car.

Those warranties can often be purchased from the finance company if one wants for less than half the dealer cost. I know someone who works for a credit union they sell em for $300 and it’s the same warranty the dealers sell for 1000...

I plan on shopping private party, I’m thinking midsize or crossover...

Right now, crossovers/SUVs are hot and sedans are not. I'd look at Fusion, Camry, Altima, Accord, etc. Any of these should be comfortable for your mom.

I've been driving a hybrid Fusion for the last 5 and a half years, it's been by far the most reliable and lowest cost to operate vehicle I've ever had.

Got her one! After hunting and chatting w the family mechanic, we got her a 2010 Cadillac CTS with 60k on it for $8500, absolutely beautiful car. If she drives till she’s 90 it won’t have 75k on it. Now she’s still got Detroit iron around her and she doesn’t feel like she got a downgrade. It’s a beautiful car, drives like a dream.

9935367A-B7AD-41B4-98C4-0469922ABA22.jpeg

Nice find on the CTS - generally solid, and you scored an excellent price!

Ah. CTS. I’ve got one of those. The V variant though.

That looks like the perfect choice. Congrats on that find. Happy motoring!

Nice find on the CTS - generally solid, and you scored an excellent price!

Yea a close cousin is life long mechanic so we sought his opinion... he said same thing with the caveat they are great but not to risk it w a high mileage one, as they tend to have driveline issues later in life... As in a solid Honda with 150k, maybe... a CTS with 150k prob not...

But she’d be almost 100 at her current pace to even see 100k no real worries...

Back