[NA]Can I get a good phone number

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
“Sure, 560….oh wait you said a good number..432-123-4567”
(I always get a little annoyed by that)
I’m at a tire shop right now and was asked this.
That was no big deal, but this guy now says, can I give him a “good” first name and a “good” last name.
He asked it like that, separate questions.
What kind of people do they get in here, that they are offered bogus names all the time?
Or, maybe it’s just more people not thinking about what they say, lol.
/rant

1/10 on the rant scale. Almost not worth rating.

Maybe it's for all the kids growing up with names like Aspen and River and Nevaeh and XAeA-12. I think I'd rather give a fake name to places that didn't require my legal name than admit that kind of nonsense was my name...

It's probably people not thinking, though. :)

And what is your good name sir?

This is a common way many people from the Indian Subcontinent phrase it. I heard it all the time when I was living in the Middle East.

“Sure, 560….oh wait you said a good number..432-123-4567”
(I always get a little annoyed by that)
I’m at a tire shop right now and was asked this.
That was no big deal, but this guy now says, can I give him a “good” first name and a “good” last name.
He asked it like that, separate questions.
What kind of people do they get in here, that they are offered bogus names all the time?
Or, maybe it’s just more people not thinking about what they say, lol.
/rant
Hmm. Now when I think about that, I hear that a lot. Or close to it, like 'what's the best number to reach you at,' things like that. When on phone calls it might be something like 'is this the best number to reach you at.' It was probably just his way of asking you what number do you want me to call you at when we're done mounting the tires.

I guess it could be them tired of people giving their home number, when they are going to be sitting in the lobby, I’ll allow that.
But the good name request seems over the top.

It stems from the days when people had multiple numbers: home landline, work, mobile. Better phraseology would be "What is the best number at which to reach you?"

Back