[NA] Can .3 volts tingle?

ircphoenix

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ircphoenix
I cut the breaker from the main to the garbage disposal. I'm still getting a tiny amount of voltage. .339 volts. I'm assuming that it ain't enough to overcome the resistance of my skin... But most of what I know about electricity is that more than 0 shouldn't exist when the power is off... though I was told the motor from the garbage disposal could be putting out residual current.

Also... It is hard wired so I can't just unplug it.

Depends on the amperage. For DC current,

Amps = watts / volts
or
volts * amps = watts

So if connected to the 120v,
120 * .339 = around 40 watts

I changed mine from hardwired to a plug when the first one broke. I like the option of unplugging if I have to and not run down to the breakers. Doesn't help ur situation though

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Depends on the amperage.

Amps = watts / volts
I cut the breaker from the main to the garbage disposal. I'm still getting a tiny amount of voltage. .339 volts. I'm assuming that it ain't enough to overcome the resistance of my skin... But most of what I know about electricity is that more than 0 shouldn't exist when the power is off... though I was told the motor from the garbage disposal could be putting out residual current.

Also... It is hard wired so I can't just unplug it.

AM radio tower anywhere nearby? I've measured 8 volts of AC on a 50 foot microphone cable laid on the ground a block from at 50,000 watt transmitter.

My multimeter shows .001-.002 amps when I check.

My multimeter also shows .001-.002 when it isn't touching anything.

most people can't feel less than 32 volts 0 amps
3 volts is a dry cell D battery.

Depends on the amperage. For DC current,

Amps = watts / volts
or
volts * amps = watts

So if connected to the 120v,
120 * .339 = around 40 watts

Not connected to 120v. He measured .339 volts. .339 volts ain't going to make much amperage.

AM radio tower anywhere nearby? I've measured 8 volts of AC on a 50 foot microphone cable laid on the ground a block from at 50,000 watt transmitter.
There's some sort of enormous tower about 3 miles away from the house. My TAC chart says it's 500 feet tall. No idea what it is for.

What setting were you using on the voltmeter? AC or DC.
It doesn't take more than a couple of volts ground leakage to make a perceptible tingle.

Tom,each D cell battery is 1.5 volts nominal. -Skip
then use two of them.
That would equal 10 times the amount he is dealing with at .3 or is that 100 ?

Well... Interesting tidbit... Just replaced the switch... And it and the outlet immediately adjacent to it are showing .9 volts with the power shut off.

There's a lot of wire in the box behind them. I'm wondering if the coiling can cause it? And that I somehow changed it by moving the wires around?

So I'm guessing .339 volts at .9 milliamps isn't going to be noticeable. Wish me luck!

You won't feel it. I had 10V between neutral and ground and didn't feel it. I thought for sure I would but didn't. I did feel the 120 when I touched that though, fortunately I wasn't grounded.

One quick story about getting shocked that way. I was in a rental house several years ago and was getting ready for a trip. When I got in the shower and tried to adjust the hot water I got a pretty good shock. I jumped out and since I was in a hurry I ran to the other shower. Before turning it on I touched the drain and faucet and didn't feel anything so I turned the water on and jumped in. Same thing happened again. So I had to leave without a shower and told my wife to stay out of the tubs and shower. I tested it real quick to see what was going on.
There was about 15V coming through the metal of the shower to the drain which was ground. After lots of confusion I found out that squirrels had chewed all the way through the service neutral so everything was going to ground. It was a pretty good shock but nothing terrible, it could have been worse.

Welp... Just replaced the socket side of the equation.... And now the voltage is down to zero. Must have been a bad ground in the other socket? The switch's hot side is looped and heads to the hot side on the socket. Now that everything is replaced, no voltage.

dry skin usually needs >9-12volts to feel it at normal current levels. That why you can touch 2 sides of a 9 volt battery and its fine, but pout it on your tongue to see if its dead.

dry skin usually needs >9-12volts to feel it at normal current levels. That why you can touch 2 sides of a 9 volt battery and its fine, but pout it on your tongue to see if its dead.

I thought I was the only one who did that!

Rich

Of course, technically, a D-Cell battery is not really a battery, it's just a cell. ;)

Back