[NA]Building a Dell[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Im asking Dell chat if they have a laptop to my specs.
I want a 2TB SSD and they do not have such a drive in the screen size I want - but I see I can buy 2TB SSD drives online.
Can I buy the laptop then swap for the drive I want?

It’d void the warranty, and Dell’s warranty is pretty good. Why not just use an external drive to store some of that bulk? Does your practice maintain a server? Save to that?

Do some searching, but I'm not sure you'd void the warranty by replacing an SSD. Certainly Dell won't cover the third party SSD or anything you damage while doing the replacement, but I think they'd still honor the warranty on the remainder of the computer.

I do the same with my Latitude 7370. I keep docking stations in both offices to make it easier to go back and forth. My focus has been on more RAM and I export bulky occasional use files to an external hard drive. My laptop has more RAM and storage than the build website offers so you might call Dell and ask what they can really do. My professional stuff gets stored on a server while I’m on a VPN or I export it when I get back to one. External drives are powerful, small, and relatively inexpensive. I’ve needed to restore files from a backup more times than I can count so depending on the laptop alone isn’t something I’m willing to do.

Last edited:
We modify every Dell computer we buy with SSD drives, which is mostly laptops. We build most of our desktops, but are beginning to go for the Dell all in ones of late, and we put SSD's in them also.
For the life of me, I can't understand why they still stick 5400 rpm drives in these things, and why they can't get SSD drives as cheap as I can on Newegg or any other site.
It's never voided any warranty I've seen, but we are enterprise customers, which may/may not make a difference.

The last few Dell laptops I bought have had 512G solid state drives. That in crazy thin and light machines. They work great for my company.

Back