[NA] Brooks shoes and knee soreness?

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
Couldn't think where else to ask this, and I know PoA is full of opinions, soooo.... ;)

I referee youth league basketball (full court) at our church. I wore my trusty old 7+ y/o sneakers (ADIDAS Cross-trainers) to ref the first couple of weeks. (The last pair of actual 'basketball' shoes I had were provided to me by the college I played for 20 years ago.) I finally decided that I need to get some new shoes for the court. My wife has fallen in love with Brooks shoes, so I picked some up. I called 3 games week before last with the new shoes and, other than fighting a chest cold that day, I just had normal fatigue. Fast forward to this past Saturday when I was loosening up for my first game and my knees just would not loosen up. This is really the first time that I've had trouble getting things to loosen up. It was especially noticeable on the inside of my knees which is a new area to be sore in. It took my about a full game to get mostly loosened up but never felt back 100% even after all 3 games. Even today, I can still feel the soreness really limited to the inside of my knees.

What I'm trying to decide is whether the new shoes are throwing me off. Granted, I turned 42 a few weeks ago and I'm no spring chicken, but it was odd that I called 3 games the week prior without any issues with the old shoes and when I switch to new, I start having issues in new areas. Anyone had similar issues with Brooks shoes in particular? Maybe I just need to break them in more to get aligned with my stride?

Brooks makes a lot of different models. I have worn their "Beast" model for years, because I have extremely flat feet, which cause my ankles to pronate, which leads to shin splints. The Beast is designed to not allow that, and I'm on my umpteenth pair (even ran a marathon on them). But I don't have knee issues, so I have no idea if they would help you. Which Brooks model did you get?

Brooks makes a lot of different models. I have worn their "Beast" model for years, because I have extremely flat feet, which cause my ankles to pronate, which leads to shin splints. The Beast is designed to not allow that, and I'm on my umpteenth pair (even ran a marathon on them). But I don't have knee issues, so I have no idea if they would help you. Which Brooks model did you get?

I got the Ghost 14.

By simple 'change management' principles, that seems to be the only variable that has changed, but I know they're supposed to be good for knees which is throwing me off a bit. I've never had knee pain/trouble in the past. Maybe these shoes are moving things back to where they're 'supposed' to be. ha

Asics, Brooks, etc. all have models that are geared toward ones specific level of pronation. Make sure you know your static pronation so that you don't buy a model of shoe meant to compensate for an issue you don't have.

I find that my best fitting and feeling shoes have come from running specific shops that evaluate feet and stride and let you try on a specific model from various brands to find the right feel and fit. Just grabbing a pair of one brand is not gonna get you what you’re looking for, especially as we age.

Over the last 10 years and 2 different running shops, I’ve “tested” their ability to find me a consistent model and brand and every time I’ve walked out with the same model, albeit a newer update. That tells me their system for finding a fit is not just BS.

I find that my best fitting and feeling shoes have come from running specific shops that evaluate feet and stride and let you try on a specific model from various brands to find the right feel and fit. Just grabbing a pair of one brand is not gonna get you what you’re looking for, especially as we age.

Over the last 10 years and 2 different running shops, I’ve “tested” their ability to find me a consistent model and brand and every time I’ve walked out with the same model, albeit a newer update. That tells me their system for finding a fit is not just BS.

I may still be young, but I've never had a pair of running shoes from any brand that caused me pain. Nike, Adidas, New Balance, Puma, Asics, etc. all seemed to feel fine. Sure, they may feel different in the shoe shape or general cushioning, but I haven't had pain that I would associate as a mis-alignment due to shoes. Everyone's built a little different though. I did have a few pairs of baseball cleats as a pre-teen that hurt my heels quite a bit, but it was more of a bruised feeling. Actually went to the doctor for an X-Ray to check for bone spurs but they found nothing.

sadly, age catches up with all of us.

You are a spring chicken!
61 and Brooks Addiction with podiatrist-specified Powerstep Protech inserts.
Hike mountains with them

This.

:yeahthat:

Went to a running shop in Dayton OH in 1993 and they recommended Nike Air Pegasus. Faithfully wore them until I couldn't buy them any more. The one time I changed brands on my own initiative (to Saucony I think, but not sure) I induced a severe plantar fasciitis case that took six months to recover. As painful as it may be, you may need to throw those new shoes away.

Face the facts, you are getting old.

I didn't say it first ... but I agree. I try to stay in shape (isn't round a shape?) but the older one gets the more reality becomes real.

Everybody's feet are different. I tried several different brands of running shoes before settling on the ASICS GT line. I've tried others from time to time but keep going back.

Everybody's feet are different. I tried several different brands of running shoes before settling on the ASICS GT line. I've tried others from time to time but keep going back.

My latest pair are the ASICS GT 2000 (9th Gen). I just wear them as casual shoes as opposed to the running shoes they're designed as, but they are pretty comfortable. I also like the GEL-QUANTUM series as well, which are slightly more narrow in the toe box than the GT models.

Also, FWIW, I found that part of my problem was the amount of time I spent shoeless around the house. I now wear orthotic sandals anytime I'm not wearing shoes (i.e., most of the time lol), and it helps me a lot. I'm partial to Spenco (who also makes good inserts), but there are other brands. I also like Superfeet for inserts. Years ago I had custom orthotics made ($$$), but I've found that the better off-the-shelf ones help me just as much.

My latest pair are the ASICS GT 2000 (9th Gen). I just wear them as casual shoes as opposed to the running shoes they're designed as, but they are pretty comfortable. I also like the GEL-QUANTUM series as well, which are slightly more narrow in the toe box than the GT models.

About 15 years ago, I went on a weeklong trip to several National Parks and did quite a bit of hiking. My hiking boots gave me a horrible case of plantar fasciitis that lasted 6 months or more. I finally went to a podiatrist who recommended ASICS Gel Cumulus 6's. Those (and appropriate inserts in my work shoes) corrected the fasciitis quickly. Man, there's nothing better than being able to walk without pain...

Since then, I've bounced around to a number of ASICS running shoes with support but with neutral correction for pronation. I'm on GT2000-8's now. What I do when I find a shoe that fits well is keep an eye open for when they start phasing in the new model and buy several pair of the old model at a discount.

I’m ether in Salomons for working out, or I’m wearing boots.

About 15 years ago, I went on a weeklong trip to several National Parks and did quite a bit of hiking. My hiking boots gave me a horrible case of plantar fasciitis that lasted 6 months or more. I finally went to a podiatrist who recommended ASICS Gel Cumulus 6's. Those (and appropriate inserts in my work shoes) corrected the fasciitis quickly. Man, there's nothing better than being able to walk without pain...

Since then, I've bounced around to a number of ASICS running shoes with support but with neutral correction for pronation. I'm on GT2000-8's now. What I do when I find a shoe that fits well is keep an eye open for when they start phasing in the new model and buy several pair of the old model at a discount.
Puma used to be my go-to brand until I couldn't buy any more of the old models I liked and the newer designs kept getting away from what I liked about them in the first place. I could say the same for Nike.

Found a model or two with New Balance (mainly their 690 Trail) I like and a few with ASICS. ASICS is usually my go-to these days when I need new athletic shoes.

I can get sore feet if I'm in my steel toe work boots walking around the property all day, but it's just an "aching feet" issue of being on my feet all day rather than an outright footwear issue.

My guess is these shoes just aren't "right" for me. I've never had pain in this specific area of my knees. I've been in Merrils quite a bit lately and they don't have any problems. Same with Salomon. I put lots of miles on my Crispi hunting boots about a month ago with no issue, so my guess is it's these shoes and how they don't fit my stride. I'll try to wear them around the house a bit and see if they break in any better, but may have to look elsewhere.

Asics, Brooks, etc. all have models that are geared toward ones specific level of pronation. Make sure you know your static pronation so that you don't buy a model of shoe meant to compensate for an issue you don't have.

I struggle with understanding which pronoun I need. Is there a flow chart or something?

It refers to how your foot moves during the contact portion of your stride. Pronation (or over pronation since we all do it to some extent) means rolling to the inside of your feet. Anatomically, the insides of your feet are part of the front of your body, you're rolling to being face down (prone) rather than supine (on your back).

The best way to determine it is to have someone inspect your movement while running on a treadmill. Most running stores have the ability to do that (or take you outside where there's enough room to get you up to speed). Alas, there is way more to fitting the shoe than just pronation/stability. It took me a while to realize that my midfoot/toes splay out more than average while running and that I needed to go to a wider shoe than the static measurements would indicate.

My guess is these shoes just aren't "right" for me. I've never had pain in this specific area of my knees. I've been in Merrils quite a bit lately and they don't have any problems. Same with Salomon. I put lots of miles on my Crispi hunting boots about a month ago with no issue, so my guess is it's these shoes and how they don't fit my stride. I'll try to wear them around the house a bit and see if they break in any better, but may have to look elsewhere.
Ref-ing basketball is different from running, even though it does involve running. Are the Brooks a running model? They might be causing your knees to work harder when starting, stopping, turning, and moving backwards.

Ref-ing basketball is different from running, even though it does involve running. Are the Brooks a running model? They might be causing your knees to work harder when starting, stopping, turning, and moving backwards.

Hmm.. Good point. I typically wear cross-training type shoes, but these are technically 'running' shoes I believe. Maybe that's part of the culprit. I hadn't thought of that.

Hmm.. Good point. I typically wear cross-training type shoes, but these are technically 'running' shoes I believe. Maybe that's part of the culprit. I hadn't thought of that.
Long time since I reffed basketball, but cross trainers worked for me - even all day doing youth games back to back for 8 hours. I never wore the cross trainers for any other activities as I've always found a good running shoe to be my preferred all day shoe. Of course...that was a long time ago and I'm not sure how my 52yo body would work either ;)

Back