[NA]Boat renter's insurance[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I am thinking of renting a boat for a day and asked about insurance, this is the reply I got:

"it comes with all safety equipment, IMPORTANT< We Do NOT offer Insurance, the customer is responsible for ALL damage done to our boats...Denise."

What do you think?
Not sure I'd rent without some coverage...its about 100mi we plan to travel on a lake.
Think I can talk my airplane/car/motorcycle/homeowner carrier into some sort of coverage??

I am thinking of renting a boat for a day and asked about insurance, this is the reply I got:

"it comes with all safety equipment, IMPORTANT< We Do NOT offer Insurance, the customer is responsible for ALL damage done to our boats...Denise."

What do you think?
Not sure I'd rent without some coverage...its about 100mi we plan to travel on a lake.
Think I can talk my airplane/car/motorcycle/homeowner carrier into some sort of coverage??

Read the liability section of your Homeowners policy if you have one. IIRC, used to be if you had an HO 2 or HO 3 (Delux or Delux Plus Homeowners) in TX you have some coverage along those lines. Who/where/what are you looking to rent?

If you do end up renting the boat, check the condition of the prop as soon as you take possession of the boat. Replacement props can run from $100-500 depending on size of the boat/prop, and it is usually the renters responsibility to pay for a new/refurbished one if brought back in poor condition.

What do you think?

If you do end up renting the boat, check the condition of the prop as soon as you take possession of the boat. Replacement props can run from $100-500 depending on size of the boat/prop, and it is usually the renters responsibility to pay for a new/refurbished one if brought back in poor condition.
Implied but not stated is the reality that having customers pay for a new prop is a standard revenue generating device at some boat rental places (which then do not replace the prop so they can get the next person).

Kinda like jacks on rental cars in Mexico and spare tires on rental cars in Costa Rica.

LOL!!! I just bought a pair of 30" diameter 42" pitch 5 bladed props for $12k each....

some kind of 20+' "powerboat".......a 'Baja', at this point - out of Page Az, out to see a landmark well up Lk Powell.
Its starting to feel out of my league.

some kind of 20+' "powerboat".......a 'Baja', at this point - out of Page Az, out to see a landmark well up Lk Powell.
Its starting to feel out of my league.

You're on Lake Powell, you've got no problems. Go have fun, use normal caution.

Like Dave's ever even *seen* an outboard motor before... HAH!

If I do hit something with the propellor, will they make me tear down the engine? :D

Hey, why don't we put shear pins on our airplanes!

LOL, I hope you get a boat with more power than one that takes a sheer pin... Standard outboard/outdrive props have a rubber coupler between the spline hub and blade hub. Performance props and regular drive props are solid hub.

LOL, I hope you get a boat with more power than one that takes a sheer pin... Standard outboard/outdrive props have a rubber coupler between the spline hub and blade hub. Performance props and regular drive props are solid hub.

Henning, save your e-breath. Dave could not even figure out which end of an outboard goes in the water, much less comprehend how the fool things work.

Henning, save your e-breath. Dave could not even figure out which end of an outboard goes in the water, much less comprehend how the fool things work.

What you don't know about my past is that I lived for 30 years surrounded by the Great Lakes, and my dad owned an outboard marine shop at one time! Just because I live in the Great Desert now!

Last edited:
What you don't know about my past is that I lived for 30 years surrounded by the Great Lakes, and my dad owned an outboard marine shop at one time! Just because I live in the Great Desert now!
OMG!!! :yikes: Our own Dave Taylor was a Yooper in a previous life! That's the only place I can see that's surrounded by the great lakes... :D

...and it took two posts to flush that out. :D

Just avoid doing things that start with the phrases "Hold my beer" or "Hey, Watch This!" and you'll be fine on Lake Powell. It's a flooded steep canyon. You have to go waaaaayyyyyyy up it before you get into waters where you have to concern yourself away from shore. Depending on the lake level, there are some caves down in the SW quadrant that you can drive a boat into, and even more you can kayak up. If you dive, there are some interesting under water caves as well. These were dwelling cave and have some artifacts still in them. In this area, you don't have worries unless you're in the cave. This is boating, it's recreation, you don't need to worry about liability. Tell ya what, I'll write you the best insurance policy you're ever gonna get. I'll come run the boat for expenses, but you gotta pick me up GA, no f-ing smoker.

PS Home insurance says in writing they cover half mil if I sink someone , run over a skier etc but zero if I wreck their boat.

PS Home insurance says in writing they cover half mil if I sink someone , run over a skier etc but zero if I wreck their boat.

Sounds right, and that's the big worry. If you trash a lower unit, figure you're on the hook for $2k. Most damage a cautious newby will do is about $2500, either that or it's a total loss by a moron. I ran Balboa Boat Rental in Newport Beach many moons ago (I just saw a picture of me from back then:skeptical:), and a boat rental on Table Rock Lake, and unless you did something supremely stupid, they never incurred extra costs. As many bottom patches, lower unit/out drive, rigging repairs I've done, we probably only billed two. One guy who sailed under a bridge he was instructed in no uncertain terms, I even pointed at it when I was checking him out, "Do Not for any reason go under that bridge. That and the Kimberling City Bridge are the boudaries of where you take the boat. Well, he sailed to weather towards the bridge and figured "WTF, I'll fit fine" sails up a bit further turns downwind and breaks the mast in half on his way through. We billed his Visa card for that. Another guy was drunk coming back into the marina and ran over the breakwater at speed tearing out an IO drive at the gimble. We only billed him for a drive, not the repair or the bottom repair.

Most rental agencies will brief you adequately in the operation of the vessel and be able to provide the required local knowledge. Good cartography is nice to have as well.

PS, if it was a rental golf cart, it would be covered. In TX adjusters class we used to make jokes about the insurance commissioners all being golfers, because your homeowners liability covers pretty much every sin you can commit on a golf course.

Last edited:
hmm if I wreck it, can I don the jackets, hole the boat - and say they gave me a defective one? "It started to leak, we couldn't keep up with it, had to abandon" :D
PS how deep is L.Powell? :D :D

hmm if I wreck it, can I don the jackets, hole the boat - and say they gave me a defective one? "It started to leak, we couldn't keep up with it, had to abandon" :D
PS how deep is L.Powell? :D :D

Deep, but since it's a National Park type deal, they'll require it to be salvaged, and THAT gets expensive and they'll figure the game out.:blush: Best to beach it and claim "Sea Monster!!!" and get the National Enquirer to come to the boat rental, and all will be forgiven....

Back