[NA]Bluetoothing[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I admit this may be well beyond my capabilities but I have a new Motorola cell phone and have been snapping pics with it....but have not figured out a way to load them on the computer... no cable.
BUT someone saw it at the airport last week and says I can use the bluetooth to connect.... but I cant figure out how.

I have tried all the 'Search fror Devices' thing on both the phone and computer.

Do you have to point a certain part of the phone at a certain part of the puter?
Its like the remote... infrared, right?

I also read all the Pseudo-Help MS offers in the help index.

Thanks.

Not sure about your carrier but certain phones by the V-company have things intentionally disabled to force you to use their services for stuff like this...

Let'sgoflying! said:
I admit this may be well beyond my capabilities but I have a new Motorola cell phone and have been snapping pics with it....but have not figured out a way to load them on the computer... no cable.
BUT someone saw it at the airport last week and says I can use the bluetooth to connect.... but I cant figure out how.

I have tried all the 'Search fror Devices' thing on both the phone and computer.

Do you have to point a certain part of the phone at a certain part of the puter?
Its like the remote... infrared, right?

I also read all the Pseudo-Help MS offers in the help index.

Thanks.

Not all computers have Bluetooth, you have to buy a Bluetooth adapter (about $40, looks like a little USB flash drive.)

Bluetooth must be turned "on" in your phone too, and in your Bluetooth settings you should specify that it be visible to other users (your computer in this case.)

I use BT to synchronize my smartphone to my desktop computer everyday, and it works very well to download photos too.

It is not infrared, it uses a low power radio frequency (too lazy to look up frequency band) with about a 15-25 foot range.

Last edited:
Brian Austin said:
Not sure about your carrier but certain phones by the V-company have things intentionally disabled to force you to use their services for stuff like this...
This is true. If you have one of the non-V operater support phones what you need is a BLuetooth enabled computer. From you bluetooth control panel search for devices and then follow the prompt to valdiate the device and link it to your computer. Depending of features set in your phone you may not be able to transfer picture and only use the handsfree feature with the computer mic and speakers.

BTW PM the model of phone you have and the carrier you use and let me see if I can get you more specific instructions.

Last edited:
And some phones I've seen can only have one blue tooth connected device active at a time. So if you have a blue tooth headset connected and on, it may not let you connect to a bluetooth receiver on your PC.

This is a new computer apparently with bluetooth hardware and software.
I have turned on both the computer and phone bluetooth connectivity.
No error messages suggesting I need to buy someone's service.
No other bluetooth devices.
Its a Motorola from Cingular, Flex Version GSTSAN22CIN01NA070 (I don't see a MN in, or on the phone.), quad band GSM if that helps.
Thanks for looking at it.

alaskaflyer said:
It is not infrared, it uses a low power radio frequency (too lazy to look up frequency band) with about a 15-25 foot range.
It's 2.4GHz using a frequency hopping system vs the direct spread spectrum technique of 802.11b Wifi running on the same frequency.

Dave,

if it's on Verizon, it's been crippled... no downloading unless you send it through their service, and pay, and pay, and pay.

If it's on Cingular or one of the other carriers, you'll probably be able to download with bluetooth or a cable. The cable will require the Motorola software.

Let'sgoflying! said:
This is a new computer apparently with bluetooth hardware and software.
I have turned on both the computer and phone bluetooth connectivity.
No error messages suggesting I need to buy someone's service.
No other bluetooth devices.
Its a Motorola from Cingular, Flex Version GSTSAN22CIN01NA070 (I don't see a MN in, or on the phone.), quad band GSM if that helps.
Thanks for looking at it.

FIRST get web access from the phone working, THEN you can try using that to get the PC online.

You'll have to subscribe to packet data service, - "MEdiaNet" - which as I said elsewhere is $20 extra a month for unlimited. You can get a $10 a month version but with that once you go over the limit you can look forward to a $100 charge on your bill. Still, I *think* you can get it in a pay as you go setup, which would be the best choice for you while you're trying it out. It's something like 0.30 a minute. I've messages from some complaining that if you press the wrong button on soem phones it happily goes on line and starts the billing clock ticking without your knowlege - until you get the bill.
Check "Upgrade your service" on http://www.cingular.com for the plans.

You won't have any luck getting help from Cingular on getting your PC connected. Kent has spent days with them just trying the get the web in the phone itself working. Google for help on the web. Try the Howard forums. http://www.howardforums.com

Back