[NA]Bluetooth incompatibilities?[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I am trying to get my cell phone to talk to my computer, no joy so far.
They both have the required equipment and I get them to cycle through "Searching" (for Bluetooth Device) but they never show signs of seeing each other.

Phone:
Samsung SGH-A437 (it has accepted a handsfree before)

Computer:
Toshiba Tecra M8 WinXPPro (no history of connecting to a BT device before)

PS they both are about 3 years old ie similar era electronics.

Last edited:
Is the bluetooth transmitter on the computer turned on?

Also, the Tecra M8 was built for Vista. Does it have the correct Bluetooth Stack installed for XP? (It can be downloaded from Toshiba, if not.)

-Rich

Is the bluetooth transmitter on the computer turned on?
Well, I went in there and asked it to seek new devices or some such, and like I said, it then goes into a 'Searching.....' mode, then stops, 'No devices found'

Also, the Tecra M8 was built for Vista. Does it have the correct Bluetooth Stack installed for XP? (It can be downloaded from Toshiba, if not.)
This Tecra came with XP, at the time I was insistent on XP and avoided all laptops with Vista. I did not change the OS from V to XP, so presumably the factory installed the correct BT at that time (I have not tried to use the BT til now).

Thanks

I had an off-brand bluetooth headphone that had an odd pairing command - had to hold a couple of buttons together to make it show up on the candidate list ... not sure if this is pertinent to your phone, but?

a quick google search of "bluetooth pairing Samsung SGH-A437" yields a youtube video and a number of hits showing "problems"

Edit: ugh, don't bother clicking on the video - I lasted about 10 seconds ... why can't people do a decent review on things when they make youtube vids? Quit moving the damn camera around! Make your point and move on! And put a damn shirt on, kid!

Sorry, curmudgeon in training again today

Last edited:
Well, I went in there and asked it to seek new devices or some such, and like I said, it then goes into a 'Searching.....' mode, then stops, 'No devices found'

This Tecra came with XP, at the time I was insistent on XP and avoided all laptops with Vista. I did not change the OS from V to XP, so presumably the factory installed the correct BT at that time (I have not tried to use the BT til now).

Thanks

There might be a switch, either a physical one on the laptop or a keyboard combination (fn + something) to turn the bluetooth transmitter on and off. Some software, rather than telling you that the transmitter is turned off, will report that no devices are in range.

-Rich

Is your phone set to be "visible" to other devices via blue tooth?
That would be my first choice as to what to look for.

I have been through each of the hundreds of pathways on their labyrinthian menu and can only find "Bluetooth on" and "...off" I can find nothing that makes 'discoverable' or whatever their term might be.
Tks

I gave up on the bluetooth.

The goal is to transport all my phone numbers from phone 1 to phone 2.
There are about 850 of them, and the sim card will only handle 250.
When I loaded the sim card with phone numbers and transferred them to 2, it is not giving me ie contacts A through H, it is a random selection of 1's phone book.

Can't find a way to
-erase the sim card phone book
-transfer selected numbers over

Thks

Back