[NA] Best Windows-based version control server

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
I will teaching a 3-day class next week on the web reporting/tool development platform I have built. I will be teaching a group of 5-10 people on how to develop tools for their own site based on the framework I have developed.

I would like to implement some sort of version control server (SVN, CVS, etc.) so everyone can develop off of each others work. Requirements are: Must be able to run on WinServer08-64bit; server-side must be fairly easy to setup and maintain (this is not my full-time job, so I don't have time to fight command-line based systems unless it is fairly intuitive and doesn't have a super-steep learning curve); client-side must be intuitive (these are not full-time programmers, and I'm sure this will be their first experience with version control on ANYTHING)

I've downloaded UberSVN, but am open to other suggestions.

Git is getting better for windows, SVN is probably what I see 99% of the time and likely what they'll see in the real world. I always setup subversion servers on Linux, I did one windows install 4 years ago but it wasn't intuitive and took a considerable amount of config file hacking.

I should probably post a response since I hate it when I read threads and the o.p. doesnt post the soultion they came up with.

I installed UberSVN on the server and Im using Tortoise as the client. So far i really like this setup. UberSVN provides a web-based GUI for setting up and maintaining the server side and I like how Tortoise installs to allow you right-click operations through the client.

This setup has made it a lot easier to update the source code incrementally instead of copying entire folders like I was doing before.

Back