NA: best value home elliptical trainer?

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
Now that the tv is wallmounted in the basement, I've started to look for an elliptical. On one hand, you've got the refurbed gym-grade machines for $1500 and up. On the other hand, you've got the $200 jobbies on amazon and walmart. Any recommendations for something in the middle, something in the $500-$1000 range but with good warranty/parts support? Don't need fancy screens, but a builtin heart rate monitor would be nice.

Last edited:
The middle would be some sort of high end residential model, which probably won't last and won't have the functionality of a commercial grade gym version. Both Star Trac and Precor make some pretty good elliptical trainers. If you can possibly manage to score a refurbished Precor AMT, those things are the shizz, but new list price on those are $7K and up.

That said, I think you would get a bigger bang for your buck by getting a bike trainer setup.

Walk and/or get a bike*. ;):D

* not the ones with motors either

I bought my wife an Octane Q37. SHe's happy with it. I've used it a few times. Runs about $3k.

Craigslist is a continuous source for exercise equipment that has seen very little use. You just gotta wade through the junk to find the decent equipment.

I paid 50 bucks for a retired gym elliptical. the previous owner said the electronics didn't work but you could still use it. I put a new battery in it and it works great! I agree with browsing craigslist.

It's always amazing how people say things don't work. I bought a scanner of ebay because I wanted something to listen to the CTAF on the field. The listing said it received but wouldn't scan. Fine, I say. I don't need it to scan, I just want 122.9. When I get it, it scans just fine. Apparently the guy had no clue how to program it (all the memories were blank).

Schwinn 470 is looking like a good starting point.

Back