[NA]Best Ipad2 replacement[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Like many have discovered, the Ipad2 is slowly becoming nonfunctional and I am unwilling to make any effort to salvage its functionality (so you might as well save suggestions on repairing it- thanks anyway).
What is the best apple device (yes it has to be apple, sorry apple-haters) to replace it.
Should have the same or better capabilities to they ipad2, and not a whole lot smaller if possible.
It won't necessarily be used for aviation, and should scream when surfing and loading books etc. Ideas? Thanks.

Mini cell, and DONT update the iOS

I think he means the iPad Mini 4 with the cell phone option (e.g. with the GPS/GLONASS built in).

I just replaced my old one with a "standard" iPad; the features of the "Pro" and the price for them aren't needed for what I do. But the Pro screen is very nice.

Last edited:
I'm running a mini with the cellular, and I'll keep so doing so long as there are minis with cellular. The cellular is a must, those are the ones with a good enough GPS chip to be useful in an aircraft. The wifi units really won't keep track of where you are at all.

I like the mini because it fits very well on the yoke of my aircraft. The one thing I don't like about the mini is I think sooner or later Apple will phase them out.

I like the mini because it fits very well on the yoke of my aircraft. The one thing I don't like about the mini is I think sooner or later Apple will phase them out.

Not to worry. By then their phone will be just as big and you'll be able to replace your mini for about twice the cost. :rolleyes:

I'm running a mini with the cellular, and I'll keep so doing so long as there are minis with cellular. The cellular is a must, those are the ones with a good enough GPS chip to be useful in an aircraft. The wifi units really won't keep track of where you are at all.

I prefer the non-cell version these days. Since I'm using a stratus to get ads-b information anyway there is no need to pay the uptick for the cell hardware in the mini. Similarly, I don't need it for data because I can turn my phone into a hotspot.

I prefer the non-cell version these days. Since I'm using a stratus to get ads-b information anyway there is no need to pay the uptick for the cell hardware in the mini. Similarly, I don't need it for data because I can turn my phone into a hotspot.

That makes sense. I got mine before I got into the Stratus, but if you have ADS-B in then a wifi iPad is more than sufficient.

As I usually do, I recommend going to the Apple Web Store and look at refurb products. They are refurbed by Apple and have the same warranty as a new one. I buy all my iThingys that way, including a WiFi Mini 4 for $289.

Cheers

Make sure to check out the Apple refurb store. Prices a bit lower, good warranty, etc. I got my MacBook Pro that way and it's been fine.

Click on that pic in the link. Looks really good, and the bezel on the long sides is very thin. The app goes almost all the way to the edge. I think that's a lot of how they got the screen bigger than the 9.7. I don't think the actual footprint of the whole iPad is that much larger.

Let'sgoflying, which model did you upgrade to?

I meant the mini 4 with the cellular option.

Also the mini 2 was also plenty fast enough to run foreflight without any delays and watch movies and browse the web etc.

Also for foreflight and basic web/app stuff, anything over 30gb is more than enough storage.

"Upgrading" to their new iOSs is what slows them down, just don't upgrade and you'll have a plenty fast iPad. I only sold my mini 2 after I got a mini 4 for free.

Back