[NA]AWD vs FrontWD[NA]

Discovered Lexus has SUVs. Lexus GX
Any comments on this model?
Decent engine. "Full time" 4WD. Amenities. (alas no ApplePlay*)

*can ApplePlay be retrofitted? Hacked in somehow?

I wouldn’t buy one. Unless you really like old school stuff.
It’s overpriced, underpowered, very old, very thirsty, and very ugly. But it will probably outlive human civilization. Just my personal opinion of course.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-reviews/2020-toyota-4runner-vs-2020-lexus-gx-460-whats-the-difference

what’s your search criteria? A 4WD Toyota SUV for a highway? I mean even RAV4 will do just fine in most snow.

Many people remove the factory head unit from Toyota and install after market ones that can support car play or whatever its called. Lots and lots of YouTube videos on how to do it yourself.

The GX are getting popular with overlanders, partly because some have the V8 where the latest 4R still has the old V6.

If you are looking at Toyota, pick up an old FJ cruiser. Models like the last year (2014) are selling for more now than new...with close to 100K miles. Who would thought.

Old Landcruisers are also getting snapped up.

If you want bells and whistles and a pretty awesome modern 4wd system buy a new Defender. But you'll probably want to be close to a dealership.

Jeeps are nice. But way too loud and uncomfortable on the highway (for me). Probably awesome out on the trails. Definitely look cool. Did a 5hr trip in a friends Sahara and couldn't believe how loud it was, maybe it was aftermarket stuff. Plus he only got like 13mpg with stock wheels and suspension. The next time we did that trip I flew him up there and he happily offer to pay half the fuel LOL! I think our 182 gets a bit over 13mpg LOL!

Discovered Lexus has SUVs. Lexus GX
Any comments on this model?
Decent engine. "Full time" 4WD. Amenities. (alas no ApplePlay*)

*can ApplePlay be retrofitted? Hacked in somehow?
They're just rebadged Toyotas for the most part. Mechanically anyway. Way overpriced new but great after someone else takes the depreciation hit for you. Run just as long.

Manufacturer CarPlay and Android Auto often sucks with perhaps the exception of newer Fords.

Retrofit is easy until you get to model years that start to put vehicle controls in the infotainment where they don't belong. It's then super model specific as to whether third party support for those virtual buttons and controls can be duplicated in the new head unit.

Additionally manufacturers who have gone to non DIN sizes on boxes and displays are screwing things over in aftermarket stereo installs also.

A good aftermarket install place can detail what can be done on the hard ones. Integrated controls, steering wheel controls, etc.

We love the Kenwood head units for adding CarPlay. Havent tested Android Auto.

Hire a pro installer. It's worth it. Also note they're fighting the supply chain crap right now also. Numerous head units are out of stock nationwide. Don't settle for a head unit that doesn't have the feature set you want.

Installers are hungry right now, baby needs shoes. Better to order and wait.

They're just rebadged Toyotas for the most part. Mechanically anyway. Way overpriced new but great after someone else takes the depreciation hit for you. Run just as long.

Manufacturer CarPlay and Android Auto often sucks with perhaps the exception of newer Fords.

Retrofit is easy until you get to model years that start to put vehicle controls in the infotainment where they don't belong. It's then super model specific as to whether third party support for those virtual buttons and controls can be duplicated in the new head unit.

Additionally manufacturers who have gone to non DIN sizes on boxes and displays are screwing things over in aftermarket stereo installs also.

A good aftermarket install place can detail what can be done on the hard ones. Integrated controls, steering wheel controls, etc.

We love the Kenwood head units for adding CarPlay. Havent tested Android Auto.

Hire a pro installer. It's worth it. Also note they're fighting the supply chain crap right now also. Numerous head units are out of stock nationwide. Don't settle for a head unit that doesn't have the feature set you want.

Installers are hungry right now, baby needs shoes. Better to order and wait.

I just put a Kenwood DDX9907XR in my Excursion to replace a pre-Android Auto/Carplay Kenwood DVD/NAV model. Wireless Android Auto and screen mirroring is pretty impressive. I can use a tablet and stream movies to the Kenwood (which sends the video to the rear entertainment screen for the kids). No need for keeping DVDs now, as we can download our owned movies from Amazon Prime and such onto the tablet and the kids can choose between 20 movies on a trip. Dual zone audio means the rear speakers can play the movie while the fronts play any other source as I desire. Better than any OEM Infotainment system I've ever used (and the newer Ford units are pretty impressive overall).

I just put a Kenwood DDX9907XR in my Excursion to replace a pre-Android Auto/Carplay Kenwood DVD/NAV model. Wireless Android Auto and screen mirroring is pretty impressive. I can use a tablet and stream movies to the Kenwood (which sends the video to the rear entertainment screen for the kids). No need for keeping DVDs now, as we can download our owned movies from Amazon Prime and such onto the tablet and the kids can choose between 20 movies on a trip. Dual zone audio means the rear speakers can play the movie while the fronts play any other source as I desire. Better than any OEM Infotainment system I've ever used (and the newer Ford units are pretty impressive overall).
Yeah wife put one of the Kenwoods in her Ford truck and it's impressive. I'll probably stuff one in the Avalon. The old Subaru has an older one already and I suppose I'll leave the newer Subaru stock for now.

But Subaru software looks like a 12 year old hacked it together in their basement compared to Ford Sync or Kenwood. I hear Pioneer is good too but haven't tried them.

Yeah wife put one of the Kenwoods in her Ford truck and it's impressive. I'll probably stuff one in the Avalon. The old Subaru has an older one already and I suppose I'll leave the newer Subaru stock for now.

But Subaru software looks like a 12 year old hacked it together in their basement compared to Ford Sync or Kenwood. I hear Pioneer is good too but haven't tried them.
I've used Pioneer car audio in the past with head units prior to the touchscreen era. They all worked flawlessly and typically had more features than the equivalent Sony/Alpine/Clarion/etc. I think they match up pretty well with Kenwoods offerings. They were the manufacturer of the DVD NAV touch screens in my 08 F-150 (and every other pre-Sync Ford touch screen of that era). Always performed flawlessly. I have used Kenwood car amps before that worked great, but the Excursion was my first experience with their head units.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

In the words of my best friend, who is a Toyota/Lexus tech, "A Lexus is just a Toyota that grew up with both parents"

Lexus GX and LX are specifically Toyota Land Cruisers dressed up for US to compete with Range Rover/Discovery. Very capable and very common off-roaders around the world. I wouldn't get it for 99% on-road use. LX is actually pretty nice on-road, but it's very expensive and very thursty

Lexus GX and LX are specifically Toyota Land Cruisers dressed up for US to compete with Range Rover/Discovery. Very capable and very common off-roaders around the world. I wouldn't get it for 99% on-road use. LX is actually pretty nice on-road, but it's very expensive and very thursty

The Land Cruisers are what most of the desert tour operations use in the UAE. Interiors look dated for a modern luxury SUV, but they are certainly capable off-roaders and very dependable.

Back