[NA]automotive engine compartment hoses[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V8 2WD with a dripping P/S hose, it is a 3/8" hose, 9" long, going from one hard line to another. This hose has a 90° bend in it. (It looks like it is deteriorating.)

So my question is, can I buy stock, straight hydraulic auto hose and hand form the bend or must one purchase preformed hoses? Ie will it eventually kink if I do it by hand?

Hangar Talk "Forums in this category are not necessarily aviation specific. These forums are our "Virtual Pilot's Lounge" where you can come in, chat, have a cup of (virtual) coffee and a (virtual) donut and talk about just about anything you like."

The smaller the diameter, the shorter the hose and tighter the radius can be. I would go for it if I was the driver, maybe not if it was a family, friend, or customer. Assuming it’s the suction side (non-pressure), worst that will happen is you lose power steering and have a tough time turning while going slow (parking).

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V8 2WD with a dripping P/S hose, it is a 3/8" hose, 9" long, going from one hard line to another. This hose has a 90° bend in it. (It looks like it is deteriorating.)

So my question is, can I buy stock, straight hydraulic auto hose and hand form the bend or must one purchase preformed hoses? Ie will it eventually kink if I do it by hand?

Hangar Talk "Forums in this category are not necessarily aviation specific. These forums are our "Virtual Pilot's Lounge" where you can come in, chat, have a cup of (virtual) coffee and a (virtual) donut and talk about just about anything you like."

90 degrees with 9” sounds kinky to me.[insert punchline of choice]. Maybe there’s room to get a longer one and do a wide ‘loop’

I would think you could get away with a straight hose - it's not that big in diameter and you have a bit of length to work with.

Was unable to contain the leakage of oil during hose replacement, (glad I wasn't in California for this where that fluid all over my upper torso is no doubt carcinogenic) so I am wondering if replacement is as simple as fill reservoir, run, keep filling as needed. Ie no bleeding or other higher pay-grade techniques.
And the cap says Dexron ATF.

Was unable to contain the leakage of oil during hose replacement, (glad I wasn't in California for this where that fluid all over my upper torso is no doubt carcinogenic) so I am wondering if replacement is as simple as fill reservoir, run, keep filling as needed. Ie no bleeding or other higher pay-grade techniques.
And the cap says Dexron ATF.

Use the ATF, it's pretty common for power steering units. Yes, fill the reservoir, but then turn the wheels lock-to-lock a several times to burp the system. Recheck the fluid levels afterward.

Back