NA Anyone using Veeam backups?

Discussion in 'Technical Corner' started by Let'sgoflying!, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Let'sgoflying!

Let'sgoflying! Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave Taylor
    I am making daily backups from my server using Veeam, onto a 2TB EHD.
    Makes sense to me that I should check the backup periodically, ensure it works, anyone know how?
    It would be checking to see if recent files are there and accurately replicated and to ensure the QB database is functioning.
    I see Veeam's support page etc, but thought someone here might know the quick answer. You guys are smarter, faster!
    https://www.veeam.com/

2. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Hmm. We are using it to back up some Hyper-V stuff, but that's different than backing up metal. We can simply restore to a new VM to test if we want. And honestly what we're using it to back up, we don't really need backed up... it's just a speed to recover from a mistake sort of convenience thing. Sorry no better info for ya.

3. sferguson524

sferguson524 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    FormerSocalFlyer
    I use it to back up VMware, and like Nate, a restore is mounting a VM over their inbuilt NFS export and migrating it onto production storage.

4. Let'sgoflying!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave Taylor
    Tech help wrote me back, I'll try this:
    Hi Dave
    From the tray icon, start an individual files restore. At that moment, after going through the wizard you will get a Veeam explorer where you can look at the files the moment of backup. And if you want to open some files for testing purposes, you will notice a button (I believe upper right) that says windows explorer. That will open a traditional windows explorer pointing to those files where you can test if you can open files or not

5. SCCutler

SCCutler Administrator Management Council Member PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Spike Cutler
    I feel better.

6. CT4ME

CT4ME Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    CT4ME
    And setup the notifications to email success/failure report...

7. Let'sgoflying!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave Taylor
    getting the emails, thanks.

8. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Is he restoring your server? ;)

9. winrose46

winrose46 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Gene
    I use it each month on my HyperV VM before the monthly MS O/S upgrades. As other said loading it into a new VM has not been an issue.

10. Let'sgoflying!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave Taylor
    I forgot to update, I was finally successful in viewing files and using my QB company file from a backup.
    It was like pulling teeth to get precise, recipe-style instructions from the company on how to do it, but with some dogged persistence and a bit of help from them I finally made a step by step HowTo for me to use anytime in the future. I pointed out to the 'tech help' person how difficult it was and noted the description on their website "Fast and Easy" or some such but don't think I got that point through. When I was done I offered my click-by-click how to test a backup in case they want to modify what they are offering but I'm sure that fell on deaf ears. Sometimes I just shake my head....

11. RJM62

RJM62 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Geek On The Hill
    Geeks spend a lot of time shaking our heads, too. What seems easy to someone who does this **** every day can be infuriating and baffling to those who don't, and most geeks have a hard time grasping that.

That's why some of the most brilliant technicians are also the worst support people. I knew a guy who was an absolute genius when it came to technology. But the company he worked for did everything they possibly could to keep him away from clients. The guy had zero people skills. But he understood machines on every possible level.

Rich

12. John221us

John221us En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    John
    Hey, I knew that guy too. He was brilliant, but alas, the girl he was "hitting on" viewed it more like stalking and we had to let him go... actually, unfortunately, I have more than a one of these stories.

13. Let'sgoflying!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave Taylor
    I think I had one of those. I should look to see how many emails I got saying, "May I close this case? I have heard nothing from you and there is nothing broken" (I had to do this over at least a week). Praying the company has those keyword-net-surfing bot things, and run across this thread.