NA Anyone using Veeam backups?

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I am making daily backups from my server using Veeam, onto a 2TB EHD.
Makes sense to me that I should check the backup periodically, ensure it works, anyone know how?
It would be checking to see if recent files are there and accurately replicated and to ensure the QB database is functioning.
I see Veeam's support page etc, but thought someone here might know the quick answer. You guys are smarter, faster!
https://www.veeam.com/

Hmm. We are using it to back up some Hyper-V stuff, but that's different than backing up metal. We can simply restore to a new VM to test if we want. And honestly what we're using it to back up, we don't really need backed up... it's just a speed to recover from a mistake sort of convenience thing. Sorry no better info for ya.

I use it to back up VMware, and like Nate, a restore is mounting a VM over their inbuilt NFS export and migrating it onto production storage.

Tech help wrote me back, I'll try this:
Hi Dave
From the tray icon, start an individual files restore. At that moment, after going through the wizard you will get a Veeam explorer where you can look at the files the moment of backup. And if you want to open some files for testing purposes, you will notice a button (I believe upper right) that says windows explorer. That will open a traditional windows explorer pointing to those files where you can test if you can open files or not

I feel better.

And setup the notifications to email success/failure report...

I use it each month on my HyperV VM before the monthly MS O/S upgrades. As other said loading it into a new VM has not been an issue.

I forgot to update, I was finally successful in viewing files and using my QB company file from a backup.
It was like pulling teeth to get precise, recipe-style instructions from the company on how to do it, but with some dogged persistence and a bit of help from them I finally made a step by step HowTo for me to use anytime in the future. I pointed out to the 'tech help' person how difficult it was and noted the description on their website "Fast and Easy" or some such but don't think I got that point through. When I was done I offered my click-by-click how to test a backup in case they want to modify what they are offering but I'm sure that fell on deaf ears. Sometimes I just shake my head....

I forgot to update, I was finally successful in viewing files and using my QB company file from a backup.
It was like pulling teeth to get precise, recipe-style instructions from the company on how to do it, but with some dogged persistence and a bit of help from them I finally made a step by step HowTo for me to use anytime in the future. I pointed out to the 'tech help' person how difficult it was and noted the description on their website "Fast and Easy" or some such but don't think I got that point through. When I was done I offered my click-by-click how to test a backup in case they want to modify what they are offering but I'm sure that fell on deaf ears. Sometimes I just shake my head....

Geeks spend a lot of time shaking our heads, too. What seems easy to someone who does this **** every day can be infuriating and baffling to those who don't, and most geeks have a hard time grasping that.

That's why some of the most brilliant technicians are also the worst support people. I knew a guy who was an absolute genius when it came to technology. But the company he worked for did everything they possibly could to keep him away from clients. The guy had zero people skills. But he understood machines on every possible level.

Rich

Geeks spend a lot of time shaking our heads, too. What seems easy to someone who does this **** every day can be infuriating and baffling to those who don't, and most geeks have a hard time grasping that.

That's why some of the most brilliant technicians are also the worst support people. I knew a guy who was an absolute genius when it came to technology. But the company he worked for did everything they possibly could to keep him away from clients. The guy had zero people skills. But he understood machines on every possible level.

Rich
Hey, I knew that guy too. He was brilliant, but alas, the girl he was "hitting on" viewed it more like stalking and we had to let him go... actually, unfortunately, I have more than a one of these stories.

most geeks have a hard time grasping that.
I think I had one of those. I should look to see how many emails I got saying, "May I close this case? I have heard nothing from you and there is nothing broken" (I had to do this over at least a week). Praying the company has those keyword-net-surfing bot things, and run across this thread.

I actually had to do a VEEM restore. Unfortunately it was my PDC. Kerberos was an issue and I ended up making my backup DC the PDC. Kerberos was an issue all the way through the exchange server. The VEEM restore was the easiest part.

I actually had to do a VEEM restore. Unfortunately it was my PDC. Kerberos was an issue and I ended up making my backup DC the PDC. Kerberos was an issue all the way through the exchange server. The VEEM restore was the easiest part.
Not to pick nits, but we haven't had PDCs and BDCs since NT4. With Win2K AD and above, it supports multi-master replication. You only have DCs now. You do have the FSMO roles, but they can be seized. If you had a Certificate Authority (CA) installed on one of them and couldn't restore it, that could be an issue with apps like Exchange that use Kerberos. If it is just Exhcange, it would probably easy to just create a new root and issue a new cert for Exchange. If you had a bunch of internal certs, it could get painful.

Not to pick nits, but we haven't had PDCs and BDCs since NT4. With Win2K AD and above, it supports multi-master replication. You only have DCs now. You do have the FSMO roles, but they can be seized. If you had a Certificate Authority (CA) installed on one of them and couldn't restore it, that could be an issue with apps like Exchange that use Kerberos. If it is just Exhcange, it would probably easy to just create a new root and issue a new cert for Exchange. If you had a bunch of internal certs, it could get painful.

I'm glad you typed that so I didn't have to. LOL. And I'm not even a Windows admin, I just get forced to do it occasionally! :)

Kerberos is a huge PITA but it's marginally better than the alternatives. ;)

We even have logins on Linux hanging off of Windows Kerberos at our shop... no point in maintaining both AD and a separate LDAP when Linux SSH can speak GSSAPI...

Also forces you to keep internal forward and reverse DNS done "right" or stuff breaks, a nice side-effect, for an anal DNS guy like me... ;-)

my thread was resurrected so I thought I should follow up: I was able to access a backup (not easy) and test my files - ie physically see the data they contain to confirm my Veeam backups work.
I have saved a recipe to do this for future use and continue to test the system periodically.

This is pretty awesome seeing Veeam mentioned in my favorite Pilot forum. I have worked for Veeam since 2011, when people had no idea who we were. Thankfully, it looks like the OP's issue was resolved.

If someone finds this thread and needs Veeam help, the two go to sites for Veeam support are: (KB) https://www.veeam.com/kb_search_results.html and (Forum) https://forums.veeam.com

Back