[NA!!!!] Anyone in need of a laptop?

Iceman

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
I know this is waaay off aviation topics...flight planning? Anyway for those who are not aware dell is having a sale on laptops at 9est that is $750 off a $1500 system. If you are in need of new laptop this is about the best deal that dell has. Good luck and buy fast...these deals are usually over in < an hour.

Chris, I looked but can't find the link to the sale.

Toby said:
Chris, I looked but can't find the link to the sale.

I'm sorry about that... click on www.dealcatcher.com and look at the top of the page...go fast though

I ordered the 9300 which has a nice big screen but is heavy.

Iceman said:
I ordered the 9300 which has a nice big screen but is heavy.
Heavy? In the laptop world, that's HUGE! 10+ lbs!!

Nice machine, though. I've set some up for folks. Runs a little hot so keep the bottom fans clear. Raise it up in the back if you can. Just a 1/2" makes a big difference.

Thanks. I want to buy a Dell laptop. This sale is too quick for me, though -- too many models and options to make a fast decision.

I hope you opted for more ram.

The default config for the 9300, 256MB with XP, will run like a Dead Dog in August. the 1GB recommended is well worth it.

And if you're a gamer, upgrade that video card.

Don't expect it to run long on battery tho. The M processor will buy you some power, but you'll be lucky to get 90 mins off it. Its a portable desktop gaming rig, that is.

Brian Austin said:
Heavy? In the laptop world, that's HUGE! 10+ lbs!!

I've used lots of different laptops over the years ultra small, small, inbetween and now I'm going to try a large one.

Toby said:
Thanks. I want to buy a Dell laptop. This sale is too quick for me, though -- too many models and options to make a fast decision.

Dell normally has these deals every few months. Just pick the model you want and wait for the discounts.

Greebo said:
I hope you opted for more ram.

The default config for the 9300, 256MB with XP, will run like a Dead Dog in August. the 1GB recommended is well worth it.

And if you're a gamer, upgrade that video card.

I went with the 512 because the other upgrade was a rip. It is easy to get a 1GB for around 120 if I want to upgrade later. I'm no gamer but I will probably load on FS2002. I mainly wanted the dvd burner and large screen for my photo management stuff. >4000 pics at 3+ megs each uses a lot of space :).

Buy a Mac. The price you pay for no viruses, no spyware, a rock solid Unix Kernel and the most eloquent user interface in the world is worth it. Not to mentioned the best bundled software, iLife, in the universe.

Iceman said:
I went with the 512 because the other upgrade was a rip. It is easy to get a 1GB for around 120 if I want to upgrade later. I'm no gamer but I will probably load on FS2002. I mainly wanted the dvd burner and large screen for my photo management stuff. >4000 pics at 3+ megs each uses a lot of space :).
Perhaps. Laptops don't necessarily use the same memory sticks as desktops though. You may be forced, if you wish to upgrade later, to pull the 512 and put in the 1gb as a single stick.

1gb sticks cost a lot compared to 512s.

And, for FS2002 or 2004, you'll WANT the extra memory.

XP by itself will eat most of that 512 megs.

corjulo said:
Buy a Mac. The price you pay for no viruses, no spyware, a rock solid Unix Kernel and the most eloquent user interface in the world is worth it. Not to mentioned the best bundled software, iLife, in the universe.
You're not getting that kind of laptop performance at that price in a Mac.

Brian Austin said:
You're not getting that kind of laptop performance at that price in a Mac.

For a few hundred more, you shed 4+ lbs of weight, get a bigger hard drive and way, way more battery life, built in wireless-G, etc in the iBook 14".

The 9300 isn't a bad machine, but it is very heavy and chews up batteries pretty dang fast.

I use a 15" PowerBook titanium that I've had a few years now. It has held up to the test of time pretty well.

Back