NA - Another one...

Ours closed a few months ago. Not that it mattered. It had been a ghost town the last few years anyway.

Yeah, I liked the catalog too. And I hate to see a company like that go under. It was like Lampert did it on purpose. I just can't fathom why. Retail's a tough business now, more so than ever. Almost impossible to compete against Amazon, Wal-Mart, HD, Lowe's, etc. But I think they could have done it.

The experiences I've had with them the last few years:
* Ordered a computer online. It was supposed to arrive in-store in a week. Half an hour after I placed the order I got an email that it was in. I figured maybe the store had one in stock so I took off work early and drove over to pick it up. Waited half an hour for the guy to look for it, to no avail. Each day for the next week I got the same "your order is ready to be picked up" email, each day with the same result. I finally asked for the store manager, only to be told he was busy. The ass't manager got snotty with me and said maybe I'd be happier shopping somewhere else.

* Bought a dishwasher, only to get it home to find that it requires a special Kenmore adapter for the supply line hookup. Back to the store, but by then they were closed. The next day I asked the guy why it's not included w/ every dishwasher since it's a REQUIRED item. And why the salesman neglected to mention at the time that I might want to buy one.

* I went to buy dad a Christmas present last year and they couldn't find my account in their computer system. I said I didn't really care, I was paying cash and just wanted to get on with my shopping. Apparently they can't sell you anything w/o them being able to find you in their system. It took twenty minutes from start to finish - what should have been a one-minute transaction.

You can only have so many bad experiences with a store. Oddly, I still made my wife walk with me through the store every time she drug me to the mall. (I'm confident that w/o Sears she'd have made me walk through the mall with her a lot more often, so there is that.)

It was Eddie Lampert's original plan to sell off the Sears's real estate, and then the remaining businesses. When the 2008 crash came, the real estate wasn't worth enough to make that viable, so he was stuck running a fading retailer. Eddie is a money guy, he knows how to buy and sell things, but he has no idea how to run a business, especially not one as tough and competitive as mass market retail. So, he's muddled through, selling off pieces of Sears, many times to other companies that he controls. It's standard corporate raider stuff.

And several weeks ago, one of the 30+ year old Snap On phillips screw drivers became too worn out to use. I saw a Snap On truck, went in and asked if he could fix it for me. He tried to remove the handle a couple times, then threw it into his return box, grabbed a brand new screw driver off the shelf and handed it to me.

Considering what the truck charges (vs industrial accounts), he could have given you 10 screwdrivers and the company would have still come out ahead.

While you were dreaming of microscopes and minibikes, @eman1200 was thumbing through the "soft pron" section of the catalog...

a7661a86293a2212d4f7692b91ef41a7.jpg

He wasn’t the only one. :drool: :dunno:

Back