[NA] Another blood boiling news report...

W......T.......F?!?!? Oh my GOD! I hope those parents get the death sentance and they get the needle.

Tragic!
Though it's hard to know if the cause was stupidity, meaness, munchausen syndrome, neglect, or all the above.

This is one of those times the murderer should die the same way their victim died... a slow and agonizing death. Only in this case, they'll know it's coming. They won't be the fragile little girl being ignored by her parents in whom she's placing her trust and looking for help only to be yelled at and given another pill.

May they hang! :mad:

The lawyer will get them off by moving the blame from the grieving, loving, unsophisticated, unemployed and struggling parents to the rich, incompetent doctor.

Last edited:
Tragic!
Though it's hard to know if the cause was stupidity, meaness, munchausen syndrome, neglect, or all the above.
Ah, you mean Munchausen by Proxy! ;)

I'm starting to lean towards all the above. And I'm thinking that there was, for sure, a LARGE helping of stupidity. A heaping helping. And selfishness. Equal parts.

The lawyer will get them off by moving the blame from the grieving, loving, unsophisticated, unemployed and struggling parents to the rich, incompetent doctor.

Well its the attorneys obligation to protect his or her clients. They cannont be faulted for that.

On the other hand How the F did some shrink diagnose Bi-Polar in a 2 1/2 year old. That is Abosloute BS in my book. The all F'ed UP major league I saw this yesterday and it sickens me :vomit: I'd like to throttle them all.:mad:

A neighbor who lived next door to the family in the last month of Rebecca's life said Rebecca and her siblings seemed listless.
Get those other kids out of there. Now!

It is the attorney's obligation to protect their clients RIGHTS not absolve them of any blame.

An attorney is an advocate! Its more than just protection of rights. Of course we have to work within the bounds of the law that is a no brainer but it just ain't that simple. Also FWIW attorneys don't "absolve clients of blame" Only a judge or a jury can do that. Well thats not entirly accurate. Verdicts are rendered as Guilty or Not Guilty. Not guilty is different than innocent beleive it or not.

That is proof that you should have to get a licence before you can reproduce.

On the other hand How the F did some shrink diagnose Bi-Polar in a 2 1/2 year old. That is Abosloute BS in my book. The all F'ed UP major league I saw this yesterday and it sickens me :vomit: I'd like to throttle them all.:mad:

Yeah, gotta like that huh. Diagnosed "Based on family history", sheesh.

As much as some of us hate those attorneys who are fighting for those accused of such heinous crimes, you want those attorneys on the job. You want these defense attorneys poking at every possible protection of the defendant's rights. For it is this protection of rights that will protect the one who is wrongly accused with the very minor piece of evidence taken by borderline means or the statement taken by an investigator which borderline violated the defendants rights.

Likewise, we complain about the lengthy appeals process. Throughout this process, every aspect of the prosecution and trial is poked at for errors of law, trial procedure by established rules and due process under the law. The rights of the defendant are held high. The actions during investigation, collection of evidence then acts of the prosecutor, defense counsel and the trial judge are reviewed as well as every witness and presentation of evidence. If this is not done, why even have a trial process leading to conviction?

In the last two years two men in Georgia, tried and convicted of rape, were released. Their convictions were overturned based on DNA evidence which was thankfully preserved. One had served only two years. The other served twenty-one years. Without the appeal process allowed under the law, these men would have continued to wrongly lose the rest of their lives. How many do you think in this country are still serving for a crime they did not commit? This is happening quite a great deal. Some you hear about, some you do not.

Now, I admit there are times when some things are sent overboard. Many of you might recall the Fulton County Courthouse shootings and escape by Brian Nichols in Atlanta during Spring of 2005. A judge, court reporter, sheriff's deputy and a DEA agent were killed. Two other deputy's were injured. The trial was to begin this last January. They pulled well over a thousand potential jurors from which to select only twelve. The State of Georgia provides a fund from which defense counsel is paid for indigent defendants. The law also allows higher fees to be paid to specially appointed private counsel in certain cases. In Nichols' case, counsel was approved for $150 per hour. He has three lawyers working his defense.

Thus far, Nichols' defense has cost $1.4 million of the fund's $4.9 million budget. Due to the shortfall of funds, the trial court has delayed further proceedings until September 2007. Nichols has offered to plead guilty and serve a life sentence if the death penalty is taken off the table. District Attorney Paul Howard has refused. He wants his name on the record as tough on crime regardless of the cost... to the taxpayers. Judges will not step in and interfere as they don't want to appear soft on crime as their job depends on elections.

During Nichols' holding in jail, his phone conversations had been recorded, accumulating more than 400 hours. Among these are his plans to escape. Both sides admit they have limited funds for which to pay for transcription of the tapes. It's expected more than fifty attorney-days will be spent just listening to the tapes and reading the transcripts. You can imagine the costs of this alone.

I believe in the death penalty and I believe Nichols should pay dearly. But, I also believe in common sense. A pursuit for the death penalty will only result in a trial that expects to rival that of OJ Simpson and costs more than $3.5 million. The state's tab is expected to be twice that. Then follows the appeals process which will add to the costs. Common sense should prevail. But, there are politics involved as much as justice if not more so. And, it's the taxpayers who will ultimately lose.

Heck, I just read where a guy killed his girlfriend and bar-b-qued her on his grill on the back deck of multi-unit apt building to be rid of the evidence. Genius. :eek:

Anyone else notice that "News of the Weird" isn't so weird anymore, compared to the regular media :dunno:

Good points above, Ken. Took me 2/3 of law school to realize that "legal" means neither fair nor logical.

Heck, I just read where a guy killed his girlfriend and bar-b-qued her on his grill on the back deck of multi-unit apt building to be rid of the evidence. Genius. :eek:

Anyone else notice that "News of the Weird" isn't so weird anymore, compared to the regular media :dunno:

Good points above, Ken. Took me 2/3 of law school to realize that "legal" means neither fair nor logical.

We had guy who shot his pregnant girlfriend in the head as she was talking to the cops.

We had another mother of the year who beat her 5 year old to death.

. Not guilty is different than innocent beleive it or not.

Thank you Adam. I wish I could convince others of this fact.

Not Guilty = not proven guilty in a court of law. They might have committed the crime, they might not have.

Innocent = Crime was not committed.

No court ever finds someone innocent of a crime.

Not Guilty = not proven guilty in a court of law. They might have committed the crime, they might not have.

Can you say... "OJ"?

I think you meant:

Innocent = Did not commit the crime (which, obviously, was committed, but by someone else).

I think you meant:

Innocent = Did not commit the crime (which, obviously, was committed, but by someone else).
True less often than thought. Many guilty are acquitted by jury nullification.

As much as some of us hate those attorneys who are fighting for those accused of such heinous crimes, you want those attorneys on the job. You want these defense attorneys poking at every possible protection of the defendant's rights. For it is this protection of rights that will protect the one who is wrongly accused with the very minor piece of evidence taken by borderline means or the statement taken by an investigator which borderline violated the defendants rights.

Look at that. WE AGREE on something. That is a big part of the reason why I support the ACLU, they take sometime unpopular cases just to make sure that in the bigger picture rights are not violated.

Look at that. WE AGREE on something. That is a big part of the reason why I support the ACLU, they take sometime unpopular cases just to make sure that in the bigger picture rights are not violated.
The ACLU does some good things but they are often overwritten by some things that I strongly disagree with. One good example would be the forcing of remaining photos on the Abu Grab (sp?) prison abuse. That served no valid purpose but to embolden those against the United States.

Some think they wrongly supported Rush Limbaugh on his medical records. That was an issue that applies to all citizens, not just one person whom they disagree with in his ideology.

Some think they wrongly supported Rush Limbaugh on his medical records. That was an issue that applies to all citizens, not just one person whom they disagree with in his ideology.

Rush is not my favorite guy but I was glad they supported that case. I did get quit tickled at the irony of them helping one who openly hates them so much.

While they are certainly two different things, the American presumption that one is innocent until proven guilty means that they should be presumed to be innocent, even if in fact they are only not guilty. Note, however, the difference between presumption and fact here.

And I'm with Scott on the ACLU. While I may not like some of the people they support, we must not pick and choose to whom a particular right applies, lest the right become meaningless.

While they are certainly two different things, the American presumption that one is innocent until proven guilty means that they should be presumed to be innocent, even if in fact they are only not guilty. Note, however, the difference between presumption and fact here.

And I'm with Scott on the ACLU. While I may not like some of the people they support, we must not pick and choose to whom a particular right applies, lest the right become meaningless.

Totally agreed 100%.

The ACLU really lost a lot of Illinois members when they defended the "Nazis" right to march in Skokie...even when many members and many on their board and many of their lawyers were Jewish. They made the "if we don't defend the worst, then who?" point but they still suffered a lot of membership cancellations.

The ACLU really lost a lot of Illinois members when they defended the "Nazis" right to march in Skokie...even when many members and many on their board and many of their lawyers were Jewish. They made the "if we don't defend the worst, then who?" point but they still suffered a lot of membership cancellations.

I suspect there's a lot of ACLU membership fluctuation depending on who they're defending at any given time. I've yet to get myself signed up. Still gotta renew my AOPA membership too. Heh.

Back