NA Alton Brown, Cubing Around

Awww.man! You're making me hungry, Larry, and it's breakfast time!

I salvaged a cube steak from the freezer and had it with eggs for breakfast Sunday morning.

Perfect!!! I'm down to about the bottom of the freezer and most of what lives down there this year is buffalo tenderized round steak (cube steak) ... always looking for more recipies!

Last weekend didn't put an elk or deer in the freezer, in spite of miles hiked thru 18-24" of new snow in the Colorado high country. But, I've got another weekend to try to remedy that problem.

Alton Brown. Good programming. And good eats. You'll want to buy his cookbook.

Alton is a great guy, a motorcyclist, and an excellent cook. I really dig his approach, it is the first truly innovative approach since Julia Child (a hero in my house, we watched her more religiously than we watched the Red Sox).

He's got some brilliant stuff.

Cheers,

-Andrew

My wife turned me onto the Food Network by introducing me to Alton Brown. A geeky chef who makes good food and silly episodes. What's not to love??

Except the pounds I've put back on...

astanley said:
Alton is a great guy, a motorcyclist, and an excellent cook. I really dig his approach, it is the first truly innovative approach since Julia Child (a hero in my house, we watched her more religiously than we watched the Red Sox).

He's got some brilliant stuff.

I agree. A friend of mine is a chef (she's currently working for SaraLee) and she says Alton is a really nice guy in person, and really smart.

Brilliant - absolutely. And sometimes very subtle - you have to check out the details (like the ketchup bottle in his fridge that's labeled "Kerry"... if you weren't looking you missed it)...

So, all the Food Network fans - anyone watch "Unwrapped" with Mark Summers?

My son-in-law worked on that show until recently. He's moved on to a new show called "Escape to the Wild" on Outdoor Life Network (er, make that "Versus" ? What the heck kind of dumb name for a network is that?) The schwag from OLN sponsers is way cooler than the schwag from Food Network folks (easier on my diet, too!)

Greg

Ahh, the memories...

As a child growing up in the City of Roses (Tularosa, NM) the Lions Club, of which Dad was a member, would always have their annual cookout featuring chicken fried steak, cooked by an old geezer named "Birdie", white gravy, pinto beans, french fries (the real kind, not those scientifically manufactured kinds of junk now offered at all restuarants, not just fast food joints) and real homemade biscuits.

Long after that era I have travelled far and wide (well, not really, but it does flavor this boring anecdote, doesn't it?:) ) in search of that same chicken fried steak. Even visited a place in Azle, TX back in ca. 1979, when the Today Show's meteorologist (what was his name again?) featured it in one of his segments. It was good, but...

A couple of years later, on our way back home from our six years in the USN, I found it. Post, TX, at a little truck stop. Twenty-five years ago. Even Mary can't cook it like Birdie could (and neither can I). Ahh, the memories...

Perhaps when I get my ticket I can go for the $115.00 chicken fried. Of course, there goes the ol' cholesterol and triglicerides:( !

Jim

wsuffa said:
I agree. A friend of mine is a chef (she's currently working for SaraLee) and she says Alton is a really nice guy in person, and really smart.

Brilliant - absolutely. And sometimes very subtle - you have to check out the details (like the ketchup bottle in his fridge that's labeled "Kerry"... if you weren't looking you missed it)...

We enjoy watching Alton's show, too. He's like Bill Nye, for food. And he's funny.

Back