[NA]All-in-one printer purchase time again[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
THIS time, a major consideration is the ability to purchase non-oem toner (ref: my post about HP's after-the-fact time bomb firmware which bricks any printer not using their cartridges. Obviously HP is out of the running.)

Laser
Multifunction (I need print/scan/copy)
ADF max 40 pages
Auto duplexing (vs manual, flipping a stack of pages)
B&W "monochrome"
home/biz use (<200 pages/mo usually ie pretty low use)
wireless (wifi, including airprinting)
Macbook/PC compatible
ability to block printer from internet access, lol
It Just Prints. Without a convoluted user input path or constant fails (see the Dell below)

Looking at Brother (here's one) I assume the Amazon Dash has an off switch.

And Dell (yes I hate how they screwed me with my laptop but I have one of their printers and it is my best one right now) This one has reviews from 2013, surely Dell has improved it?

We gave up on HP printers for the reasons you cited. While it's an inkjet printer and not a laser, the Canon Pixma 7?? (Can look up the actual model if you wish) checks every other box in your list..auto duplex, no jams, wifi printing from our laptops, tablets, and phones, nice photo output, ADF (although not sure about 40 pages at a time....do you mean loading 40 originals you want to scan/copy, or just the ability to load 40 blank sheets of paper for printing?...I think the most I've ever loaded into the document feeder for scanning/copying at one time was maybe eight sheets.

We like it a lot. You can get packs of refill ink cartridges dirt cheap on Amazon amd they work fine. The only two downsides that we've found are just minor annoyances to us, anyway....sometimes, for no reason, it takes a long time to start printing and just makes "fixin' ta git ready to commence printin'"sounds for a few minutes. Also, if you're going to rely in wifi printing and scanning, make sure you assign it a static IP on your network. We had all kinds of random "printer not connected" errors until we did so, and it's beem rock solid ever since.

We purchased our absolutely LAST HP product many uears ago.

I've had good luck with Brother stuff. That being said, I avoid non-oem consumables with them. Lots of those cheap knock offs are cheap for a reason. Spend an afternoon or two cleaning leaked toner out of the innards of your printer and the $50 you saved quickly stops being worth it.

JH, I have 6 printers going right now, and for the past ~25 years, all using non-oem media and have never, ever had that problem. I have read here twice about such things and hope I am not that unlucky! Thanks.

I have had a Canon MF8580 for four years or so now. I've been pretty happy with it (though there are some stupid features). It duplexes both the scanner (when using the sheet feeder) and the output.

Just to add my two cents, if you can afford the printers from Xerox, I’d recommend them highly. We have a Xerox, a Brother and an old IBM/Lexmark, and the Xerox has really been the standout in terms of print quality, cost per page, and reliability.

Canon MFC. Already stated in your other thread. They just sit there and run. Zero screwing around. Relatively inexpensive.

Our commercial print shop uses Xerox. The machines are solid, the software is janky. Software and driver upgrades are hit or miss.

Zero attention to detail on the security stuff.

JH, I have 6 printers going right now, and for the past ~25 years, all using non-oem media and have never, ever had that problem. I have read here twice about such things and hope I am not that unlucky! Thanks.
Twice in two years with different printers for me. And also a non-oem replacement drum that turned out to have a couple blemishes on it so all the pages printed now include specs every 5" down the page. The cheap non-oem stuff is great if/when the quality matches the oem product. But my experience has been that more often than not, the quality matches the price. When the quality sucks, the savings stop being worth it for me.

The one you have linked in the post is one I use everyday.
Ordered four yesterday for some other employees... And have had the 2450s for several years.
So far rock solid.

Back