N95 mask and ATC Comm

Just wondering...any research on the effects of wearing a mask while flying and hypoxia? I'm thinking that breathing in a fair portion of your just exhaled CO2 would be an issue.

Masks are about droplet transmission. You wear one to protect the people around you from your respiratory droplets. A cloth mask works fine for that. An N95 would work to limit transmission too, but is unnecessary and comes with the cost of ventilatory fatigue. As to an N95 protecting you from being infected, that would only be true if the mask was fitted according to NIOSH standards, and the person was wearing a face shield in addition to the mask in order to protect the eyes.

IOW, don't waste your breath on an N95 mask out in public, including your airplane.

Last edited:
I have decided to take a pause, will review sport ya online course and fly VFR practice approaches for now. This sucks cuz I am in bad need of some cross wind training as well. Between a family situation and panel upgrade and haven’t flown a whole lot this year, and this Covid situation is not helping

I guess I'm confused as to why you need the mask to fly at all? If you're that worried about it, either change who you would be flying with or don't fly at all. I've yet to see a professional wearing one while in flight (I'm sure there's a few who do), and they'd have a way higher exposure risk than GA flying with 1 or 2 people.

I guess I'm confused as to why you need the mask to fly at all? If you're that worried about it, either change who you would be flying with or don't fly at all.

Not worried.

Pursuing my instrument ticket and the flight school has a policy requiring masks. I can't stand them, but I'll put up with them if it furthers my training. And instructors can have a student roster of up to only 4 students.

Can we go back to normal(ish) please? I long for 2019.

Kind of like when I see people drive solo with their mask on. o_O

Does not compute.
If I have several stops to make, I don't remove my mask during the travel times. I put it on before entering the first building, then leave it on until leaving the last. So wave next time you see me ...

Back