N855WH RV-7 build blog

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Okay, some of you asked me to keep you updated on the progress of my plane. You'll be able to follow it on my website (the url is my last name):

http://www.whistman.com

Most current entries are always at the top, so to start, start at the bottom, then just click through the Next button on each page (there is one at the top and bottom of each page, for convenience).

Troy Whistman said:
Okay, some of you asked me to keep you updated on the progress of my plane.

Your shop looks great! Keep us posted!

Troy Whistman said:
Okay, some of you asked me to keep you updated on the progress of my plane. You'll be able to follow it on my website (the url is my last name):

http://www.whistman.com

Most current entries are always at the top, so to start, start at the bottom, then just click through the Next button on each page (there is one at the top and bottom of each page, for convenience).

Cool, will your daughters be able to qualify for the builder maint clause, and can this project count towards experience time for A&P for them? (it CAN for you I know, I'm wondering about the youngest particularly).

Kool Site Troy, thanks for posting it, i'll keep track of your progress.
Dave G.

This is not to steal your thread but today I had my 2nd flight in an RV-. The first, a couple years ago, was in a friend's RV-4. Today I flew in an RV-6A which is the plane owned by the fellow who sold me the C-150M(in my Avatar).[No, it isn't; it's in my AOPA Avatar)

Scott's RV-6A was constructed by a professional builder and was sold to someone in New Hampshire. Scott bought it out of NH and sent me the photo(below) while I was in Arizona during late October. And today???
WOW! Scooting along at 165kt along the Maine coast(out of Wiscasset). Then I experienced my first barrel roll to the Right; and then to the Left. Gawd, I'm in heat. Then we headed inland(slightly) to fly over Merrymeeting(08B). Photo #2 shows RW32, and the new house closest to the river(on the Left) is Scott and Heather's house(neither of my photos were taken today. While over Merrymeeting I was treated to a wingover to the Right and another to the Left; then a couple more rolls before we went back to Wiscasset(7.2nm) for a couple T & G and full stop to let me out. Scott preflighted again to get in some night-time flights. I can see why. RV- are beauties. I'm sending Troy's Link to Scott who wants to follow the construction process.

HR(who today sent check for Skyhawk)[unfortunately, NOT approved for aerobatics] )

Attachments

• N89PC.jpg
    N89PC.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 42
  • N66148#19 08B #32 LeftCenter.jpg
    N66148#19 08B #32 LeftCenter.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Troy, Good looking garage, err hangar you got there. And it's nice to have all that enthusiastic help.
You may have already seen these but here are a couple of links to some RV builders logs.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/tvrvbg/origins.htm

http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/journal/rv6.html This guy also built a kit car and did a similar site, it has a video or two of his spins around rural Alabama.

I spent Waaaay too much time drooling over these sites.
keep us up to date.
KL:)

Last edited:
just read everything on the site. Its riveting (har har). I can't wait to read as you go along!

Henning said:
Cool, will your daughters be able to qualify for the builder maint clause, and can this project count towards experience time for A&P for them? (it CAN for you I know, I'm wondering about the youngest particularly).

Good question--I'm not sure. Doesn't the time have to be spent with a current A&P for the time to count (for her)?

Troy Whistman said:
Good question--I'm not sure. Doesn't the time have to be spent with a current A&P for the time to count (for her)?

I believe "under the supervison of". I don't believe that means the A&P has to be present for every hour spent building.

Troy Whistman said:

I believe "under the supervison of". I don't believe that means the A&P has to be present for every hour spent building.

But the actual answer from me is "I am not sure." I didn't think an A&P had to be involved at all. Just a time and building log. But like several times in the past, I can be proven wrong. :yes: :rofl:

Troy I am looking around for a compressor for the garage and saw your 60gal Kobalt, is that 220V and 7.0hp? Do you 'member if they come with a warrantee?
Does it say 135psi max, and do you know if its two-stage?

Seems like the good ones are 500-1000$ now.
(Except for the $50,000.00 on one ebay right now!)

PS have you any ideas about noise suppression? I though of putting my hangar compressor in an insulated box but was worried about heat.
I can put mine outside at the house but I bet your neighbors wouldn't be thrilled with that. (my nearest one is a mile!) Anyway that repetitive popopopop cycling drives me a bit crazy and I was looking for ideas.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Troy I am looking around for a compressor for the garage and saw your 60gal Kobalt, is that 220V and 7.0hp? Do you 'member if they come with a warrantee?
Does it say 135psi max, and do you know if its two-stage?

Dave, you're spot on. I paid $429 (before tax) for this unit at my local Lowes store. It's a single-stage unit, but belt driven and uses oil in the compressor--all the reading I did said the oil-less units are MUCH noisier and don't last nearly as long.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=3692-48540-K7060V&lpage=none

They have two models that look identical (except for the fan shroud), one is $499, the other is $429. They have the same size tank (60gal), same exact motor (7.0hp), the only difference is they run the more expensive one harder to get 13.3 continuous at 90psi, vs. 10.8 CFPM at 90psi on the less expensive one. Seeing as it's the SAME tank and motor, and I'm not going to be using any tools that require more than 10.8@90, I went for saving the cash and buying the $429 unit.

They have a 3 year warranty on the unit and will sell you an extended warranty if that's something you want (I didn't).

Yes, it's 220V/15A on the motor; I installed a 220V/20A breaker in my box in the garage (easy to do--just be safe, or pay someone... instructions on how to do it are actually ON Lowe's site). I think you're better off learning how to do it and tackling the project than paying someone... you'll be doing a lot of "learning new things" when building an airplane project anyway, and much of it will be electrical (unless you farm out the panel and wiring)... might as well start with this! Just be sure to ask for help or guidance, as you will with the airplane, from an experienced person if you don't know how to do it.

Let'sgoflying! said:
PS have you any ideas about noise suppression? I though of putting my hangar compressor in an insulated box but was worried about heat. I can put mine outside at the house but I bet your neighbors wouldn't be thrilled with that. (my nearest one is a mile!) Anyway that repetitive popopopop cycling drives me a bit crazy and I was looking for ideas.

If you have the option of putting it outside your shop and plumbing the line inside, go for it... just build a lean-to-roof or something to protect it (somewhat) from the elements. If you put it outside, your electrical wiring requirements just got a little more stringent; you'll want to make sure the electrical connection is in NEMA enclosures or other fittings that are protected from the elements (water).

I was VERY surprised how quiet (relatively) my compressor was when we started it up. I put it on a 24x24" square of the spongy mat material you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot--you know, that stuff that interlocks to form a more comfortable surface for standing on in a workshop. I got two packs of 4 interlocking squares for $14.95 each... $30 for 8 squares. I trimmed off the interlocking tabs on ONE of them and used it for the compressor, between the compressor and the concrete floor. I used the other seven as cushions in front of the workbenches.

Anyway, the mat really helped absorb vibrations, and when I went into the house and closed the door, you could just barely hear the compressor [Teresa said, "It's RUNNING!? Really!?" That's got to tell you something!]. I walked outside, and in my driveway with the garage door closed, it sounded like a big fan, not obnoxious at all. I walked across the street onto the other sidewalk, and you'd only know it was running if you were listening specifically for it, so I'm confident my neighbors in their houses won't even know it's running... now, what kind of noise the rivet gun and bucking bars make on metal might be another matter entirely!!

Good luck, Dave!

Last edited:
Thanks Troy for all the details - amazing what things you have to research in order to complete an unrelated project!
Good luck to you as well - hey can we expect pics of a completed RV empennage by Monday morning?!
;)

Troy Whistman said:
now, what kind of noise the rivet gun and bucking bars make on metal might be another matter entirely!!

My experience is, that all depends on what side of midnight you are doing it!!

Troy Whistman said:
I'm confident my neighbors in their houses won't even know it's running... now, what kind of noise the rivet gun and bucking bars make on metal might be another matter entirely!!

Good luck, Dave!

Yeah, they'll LOVE you on the weekends:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Let'sgoflying! said:
Hey can we expect pics of a completed RV empennage by Monday morning?!
;)

Uh... NO!! I just got off a 28 hour shift (no sleep) and am going to bed. Went in at 7am yesterday (Saturday), just got home at 11:30am today (Sunday). This is NOT typical... we had a configuration change that went much longer than anticipated.

Troy Whistman said:
Uh... NO!! I just got off a 28 hour shift (no sleep) and am going to bed. Went in at 7am yesterday (Saturday), just got home at 11:30am today (Sunday). This is NOT typical... we had a configuration change that went much longer than anticipated.

OMG; you are a hard-working guy TW.

Troy must be having fun with his new toys. I got all excited reading this thread last week and am waiting new updates. Must be like Christmas every day.

James Dean

Lawreston said:
This is not to steal your thread but today I had my 2nd flight in an RV-. The first, a couple years ago, was in a friend's RV-4. Today I flew in an RV-6A which is the plane owned by the fellow who sold me the C-150M(in my Avatar).[No, it isn't; it's in my AOPA Avatar)

Scott's RV-6A was constructed by a professional builder and was sold to someone in New Hampshire. Scott bought it out of NH and sent me the photo(below) while I was in Arizona during late October. And today???
WOW! Scooting along at 165kt along the Maine coast(out of Wiscasset). Then I experienced my first barrel roll to the Right; and then to the Left. Gawd, I'm in heat. Then we headed inland(slightly) to fly over Merrymeeting(08B). Photo #2 shows RW32, and the new house closest to the river(on the Left) is Scott and Heather's house(neither of my photos were taken today. While over Merrymeeting I was treated to a wingover to the Right and another to the Left; then a couple more rolls before we went back to Wiscasset(7.2nm) for a couple T & G and full stop to let me out. Scott preflighted again to get in some night-time flights. I can see why. RV- are beauties. I'm sending Troy's Link to Scott who wants to follow the construction process.

HR(who today sent check for Skyhawk)[unfortunately, NOT approved for aerobatics] )

Nice airstrip !
Have you said what river it's on ?

Thanks for the updates, looks like you'll be building soon.

Troy Whistman said:
You know it!! :) Finally uploaded what I've been up to for the past week. Here's where the latest updates start:

http://www.whistman.com/blog/20060113.aspx

Cool. You may find you'll want to get another regulator and a different colored hose so you can run a drill and the rivet gun during the same session without swapping and changing pressures.

Oh yeah, I've never heard it as "backing" the rivets, always as "bucking", though that may just be people mixing their modifiers.:D

Last edited:
Troy, I have this sneaky feeling that your RV going to go together very well... very well, indeed.

Henning said:
Oh yeah, I've never heard it as "backing" the rivets, always as "bucking", though that may just be people mixing their modifiers.:D

Henning,

If you're referring to this comment on my January 22nd page, let me explain:

Troy said:
My sister-in-law, Julie, was down to visit for the weekend, and she and Teresa came out to try their hand at squeezing, back riveting, and countersinking. Gotta love that SQUEEZER! That thing's GREAT. Used it both to squeeze rivets and to dimple skins, and it was so smooth....

Back riveting is different than bucking rivets. Bucking a rivet, as you know, involves using a heavy steel bar with a polished face on the shop end of the rivet while driving the rivet with a rivet gun on the manufactured head.

With back riveting, which is a technique that can be used on flush rivets only to the best of my knowledge, you use a special rivet set and drive the rivet from the SHOP side (the side you normally would have the bucking bar on). You put the flush rivets in their holes, put a piece of rivet tape over them so they don't fall out when you turn the metal over, then place the work piece on a flat plate of polished steel (which, in essence, becomes a bucking bar from the manufactured head side). You then pound the shop end with the rivet bar to sqwoosh it (technical term) to the right size.

This page explains it well with illustrations: http://www.rvproject.com/20011013.html

Back