N801BH Gone West... (Ben Haas)

Discussion in 'Gone West' started by Ted, May 9, 2017.

1. gkainz

gkainz Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Greg Kainz
    Welcome to POA and thanks for all the info and update. I hope you hang around here, get acquainted and continue to share your progress.
    Greg

2. RyanB

RyanB Administrator Management Council Member PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    Great to have you aboard! Please keep us posted with any updates on this, I’d be curious to follow along!

3. Dave Theisen

Dave Theisen En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave Theisen
    So glad to hear it’s going to keep flying!

RyanB likes this.
  4. GRG55

GRG55 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Aztec Flyer
    Very cool to hear Ben's plane is going to be airborne again soon! We will look forward to the pictures. :)

5. ktup-flyer

ktup-flyer En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    ktup-flyer
    Awesome! You’ll have to bring her to the POA Gastons fly-in or something to show her off once she’s finished

6. Ted

Ted The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted

Display Name:

Display name:
    iFlyNothing
    Steve, welcome to PoA and I'm very happy to hear this update on Ben's airplane. You'll find that Ben was very well-liked around here, and we miss him.

If you don't mind sharing, I'd be really curious to hear what all you found with Ben's plane as you have been going through getting it airworthy again. Ben having hard landings with it doesn't surprise me. Knowing how he flew it (he enjoyed using its short field capabilities) it wouldn't surprise me if those steep power-off approaches sometimes didn't end in greasers. I also always figured that the total engine weight (and CG) was fairly high relative to the other engine options that plane normally had, which would undoubtedly make such damage more likely.

Likewise with the engine, did you rebuild it for any particular reason or more than anything to see what was going on inside it? Although I don't think he ever published it on here, he told me that he did once have a cracked piston. He ran it very hot (as I think he talked about in the video he made) but after that he ran it a lot cooler, at least that's what he told me.

I can't claim to be an expert about that plane by any stretch, but he and I spent many hours talking about it. I always admired what he did and took notes as I'd hoped to do a similar sort of project someday. If there are any things you haven't figured out I'd be glad to go through the memory banks and see if I remember him telling me something about it.

Funny that you've got it at DWH. I've flown in there a few times over the past several years, so it wasn't far away. I'd certainly love to see pictures if you have any to share!

flyingcheesehead and denverpilot like this.